13 Spectacular Benefits & Side-Effects Of Almond Oil
Benefits of Almond Oil: The skin and hair benefits of almond oil make it a popularly used ingredient in beauty products that are abundantly available in the market. But did you know that consuming almond oil also has immense health benefits too?
It doesn’t matter if you are a kid or adult; the extraordinary benefits of almond oil have, one way or the other, made sure that it has found its way into everyone’s list of household supplies and has been a part of it for years.
It is hard for one to remain in the dark about the various benefits of sweet almond oil, whether they are its health benefits or its numerous beauty benefits related to skin and hair. Almond oil has been used for centuries and that too all across the world.
Almond oil, extracted from almonds that are amongst the healthiest nuts to consume, has a top spot on the list of beneficial essential oils that must be part of your health regime. And this should come as no surprise, as almonds themselves have countless benefits, like weight loss, managing blood pressure levels, and boosting cardiac health.
Almond oil too, is filled with healthy antioxidants, is anti-inflammatory in nature, boosts mental health, and promotes weight loss. All in all, nut oils are distinguished in terms of keeping your health, skin and hair problems at bay.
This article looks at the health benefits of sweet almond oil in detail, so let’s get started.
Benefits of Almonds – Include this nut in your morning schedule to obtain all its healthy benefits.
Health Benefits Of Almond Oil
Apart from being popular for its skin and hair benefits, almond oil has been used as an essential oil for making food since the dawn of time. Almond oil is a good source of vitamin E and monounsaturated fat, which is quite essential when it comes to cardiac health.
Some of the other popular and excellent health benefits associated with the consumption of almond oil are:
1. Promotes Heart Health
As discussed before, monounsaturated fats that are present in sweet almond oil may be responsible for the lowering of bad cholesterol, which lowers the risk of heart disease. Bad cholesterol could lead to heart diseases like stroke, heart attack, and high blood pressure.
Almond oil is also quite an excellent source of vitamin E, an antioxidant known to delay the signs of aging, which brings us to our next health benefit.
Did you know?
The scientific name of almond is prunus dulcis or prunus amygdalus.
2. Rich With Antioxidants
Yes, as you have read, almond oil is an excellent source of vitamin E, a special type of anti-oxidant. These antioxidants are also quite effective in contributing to the beneficial nature of almond oil as they help in the prevention of free radical damage and further helps improve your health.
Free radical damage refers to the alteration a cell goes through when it is attacked by a free-floating atom. These kinds of damages are one of the main contributors to your body’s aging process. Thus, by preventing or lowering this kind of cellular damage, sweet almond oil may help in slowing down the aging process.
3. Boosts Memory
Omega-3 fatty acids are one of the abundant nutrients present in a spoonful of sweet almond oil, which also contains a high quantity of potassium. Just like almonds, almond oil may also help in the nourishment of the nervous system. And only the consumption of a few drops of almond oil along with a glass of milk before going to bed can make a sufficient contribution to boosting memory.
It is wrong to believe that all fats, including oils, can adversely affect our health. In fact, many of them have been proven to be essential for our well-being, though only if their consumption is regulated.
An unregulated consumption can lead to excess fat storage in the body and may result in weight gain.
Almond oil might just be the very product that could help to tackle the inflation of your body. Almond oil is naturally anti-inflammatory, and this is due to the presence of acids such are linoleic and linolenic.
Did you know most nuts are anti-inflammatory, therefore their oils are equally beneficial?
5. Aids In Weight Loss
This is perhaps one of the most popular reasons for the consumption of almond oil. The monounsaturated fats present in almond oil help boost metabolism, which eventually enables your intestines to absorb nutrients in a short frame of time, thus reducing the time for digestion and promoting weight loss.
Almonds have also known to be great for weight loss, so having 8-10 almonds every day, along with a healthy diet and exercise, could help you lose weight.
6. Treats Constipation
As discussed in the previous point, the consumption of almond oil can be quite beneficial for boosting our metabolism. In the process of doing so, it decreases intestinal transit time.
Since constipation is the result of indigestion, the consumption of almond oil can help eliminate the undigested waste at a faster rate, thus relieving symptoms of constipation and further reducing the risk of digestive issues.
7. Provides Sufficient Energy
Rich in minerals such as manganese and copper, and with an abundance of a vitamin called riboflavin, almond oil is a great energy source. When consumed, almond oil helps in breaking down carbohydrates and fats for the production of energy and also allows oxygen to be effectively used by different organs.
8. More Benefits Of Almond Oil
As per the research studies, almond oil has long been used in medicines for its various health benefits. Research also suggests that it may be effective in reducing the risk of colonic cancer. While more studies and research need to be conducted, but we do see a ray of hope in bringing almond oil in the spotlight, especially for cancer growth. (1)
The almond oil is super rich in monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats that may help keep your blood sugar levels or diabetes in check. We all know diabetes is a very common disease and diabetes mellitus or type-2 diabetes can cause various other health issues. Including almond oil in your diet could actually help in regulating blood sugar levels in diabetics.
Did you know which are the best quality almonds available in India? Read on to know about quality almond brands.
Beauty Benefits Of Almond Oil
Now, it is time to discuss the popularly known benefits of Almond oil, which are, without a doubt, its beauty-related effects. The skin and hair benefits of almond oil make it popularly used in beauty products that are abundantly available in the market.
Some of the beauty benefits associated with almond oil are:
1. Delays The Signs Of Ageing
Without a doubt, regular application of almond oil over your skin may help in getting glowing and fresh skin. This is due to the presence of vitamin E and fatty acids, which are abundantly present in this almond oil, thus preventing the signs of aging, making your skin look better.
However, apart from protecting skin cells from free radical damage, the application of almond oil over your skin can also help in getting rid of dead skin cells, leaving behind a fresh look.
2. Reduced Tanning
Having an SPF 5, did you know that almond oil can also be used as a natural sunscreen?
And apart from the fact that it blocks the harmful rays of the sun from damaging our skin cells, the presence of vitamin E in almond oil nourishes the skin and keeps the skin healthy.
Also Read : Benefits Of Vitamin E Rich Diet
3. Healthy Hair Growth
As a good source of minerals such as magnesium, almond oil may play an important role in scalp nourishment and hair growth. In order to get the best results out of the use of almond oil, it is advised to apply it at least twice a week.
After a thorough massage, a towel soaked in hot water must be wrapped around the head as the rise in temperature would result in the increase of the nutrient absorption rate of the scalp which further results in the reduction of hair fall and also improves the hair quality.
4. Dandruff Control
Almond oil helps in the removal of dead cells from your scalp. Furthermore, its scalp nourishing abilities and anti-bacterial property keeps other hair troubles away. For great results, it is advised to massage it thoroughly over your scalp and let it sit for at least half an hour.
In order to increase its effectiveness, the almond oil can also be mixed with other ingredients such as lime juice and amla.
5. Prevents Acne with Deep Cleanse
As mentioned before, almond oil is a natural anti-inflammatory item, which when applied over the skin, forms a thin layer that protects the skin from getting attacked by external pathogens that can cause inflammation in the form of acne. So if you care for your skin, you would love to use almond oil on it to see good results!
6. High On Zinc
Zinc is a mineral that is required by your skin to make it look more fresh and radiant, and since almond oil is a rich source of zinc, it tends to be more effective than any other zinc-based creams, thus making it more effective against dark circles and skin rashes.
How many almonds should be eaten in a day to stay healthy?
Side-Effects Of Almond Oil
Yes, almond oil isn’t an exception, and an unregulated consumption or use of almond oil can have adverse effects on your health. Let’s take a look at some of the common side-effects associated with an unorganized use of almond oil:
1. Weight Gain
Of course, when we talk about the unregulated consumption of oil, we can never forget about its association with weight gain. The monounsaturated fats present in almond oil are responsible for the production of energy in your body. However, if the consumption of these fats is more than what your body needs, they will get stored in your body and might also result in some serious weight gain. So if you don’t want to damage weight loss goals, do not over consume almond oil.
2. Increased Cholesterol
This is no news that high consumption of any kind of oil may result in a high blood cholesterol level. Though it is a well-known fact that the consumption of almond oil is linked with the decrease in bad cholesterol levels, however, heavy consumption can have a completely opposite effect on your health. So, make sure you don’t overdo the consumption of almond oil.
3. Allergic Reaction
Though it is a very rare side-effect, many people even get an allergic reaction towards almond (as it belongs to the nut family), which may also mean they could be allergic to almond oil. The symptoms of an allergic reaction caused due to almond oil might include conditions like nausea, diarrhea, difficulty to breathe, and difficulty in swallowing.
Though the side-effects linked with the consumption of almond oil may seem important, it is also essential to note that these effects only occur when almond oil is consumed in a rather unregulated manner.
The list of benefits corresponding with the intake of almond oil may be longer than its side-effects, and to further add, quite breath-taking. Remember that a healthy diet is not just one that has all the essential nutrients, it is also one in which the intake of those nutrients is managed as per the needs and requirements of your body.
How To Use Almond Oil?
Are you looking to bring almond oil to use? Your search ends here.
If you wish to use almond oil in your diet, here’s how you can use it well in your diet. Apart from that, we also tell you how are the effects of almond oil on your skin and hair. Please note that safe use of almond oil will always benefit you and have positive effects on your skin and hair; however, anything in excess could be harmful. So do not overuse this oil.
1. How To Use Almond Oil In Your Diet?
- If you want to use almond oil, remember that it does not have a high smoking point, so you cannot heat it on high temperature. In fact, you can use it as your salad dressings, marinades and different sauces.
- You may sometimes want to replace olive oil with almond oil to create these dishes mentioned above to extract its nutritional properties.
- You could also use almond oil for low-heating baking. It’s amazing how its mild flavor tends to get in to your food, making it not just healthy, but also delicious.
- You can use almond oil to bake cakes, muffins, and cookies. You should bring it to use in your bakery items as this oil tends to give a nice, mild nutty flavor that is hard to miss.
2. How To Use Almond Oil For Hair?
- Almond oil is best known for it properties that help your hair lock some moisture. Best is to use almond oil to massage your hair and scalp for a good 10-15 minutes to get good results. There are many products that contain almond oil as the main ingredient.
- You could add some coconut oil with almond oil to bring shine and softness to your hair. All you need to do is mix coconut oil and almond oil in the ratio 2:2 and apply it on your hair and scalp. Massage well. Now keep for a few hours before washing it off with a gentle shampoo.
- Reap almond oil benefits by mixing almond oil, yogurt and honey in a bowl, and make a nice runny consistency. Now apply on your hair and leave it for about an hour. Wash it off with warm water with a gentle shampoo. This pack will strengthen your tresses and keep it cool in summers.
- One way to make almond oil work better on your hair is to just add a few lemon juice drops and mix well. Apply on your hair and scalp and keep it for at least half an hour. Now, wash it off with warm water using a mild shampoo and conditioner. Lemon will help keep dandruff away and further keep your scalp clean.
Note: You may also add essential oils to your hair masks. They are amazing for hair growth. You could use essential oils like lavender, lemongrass, rosemary oil, etc.
3. How To Use Almond Oil For Skin?
- Most people have dry skin, irrespective of the climate, which also results in itching and irritation on the skin. But just a few drops of almond oil is the perfect answer to this problem. Take a very small amount of almond oil on your palm, rub it with both hands and apply on your face in a circular motion. The oil will lock the moisture and keep your face hydrated, further keeping a dull and dry skin at bay. Make sure you don’t take too much quantity.
- You can use just a few drops of almond oil as a makeup remover. It is a nightmare to realize your makeup remover is over. But almond oil can come to your rescue. Take a small amount of oil in a cotton ball and gently clean the makeup. It will leave your skin feeling alive again. Moreover, it will not cause irritation to your skin like most makeup removers do. In fact, make-up can cause dry skin, so almond oil is indeed the best bet.
- Mix rose water and a small amount of almond oil and apply on your face. Your face skin will feel nourished and soft. Make sure you don’t apply almond more than twice or thrice a week and that too in small quantities. Too much oil on your face can eventually lead to breakouts.
- Did you know almond oil is said to be one of the best remedies for removing stretch marks or scars left due to pregnancy or after an extreme weight loss? It is said that if women keep applying almond oil on their skin from the early days of pregnancy, chances are that they would not have to see a lot of stretch marks on their tummy. So in order to avoid stretch marks, apply almond oil. But before applying this oil to your stretch marks, make sure you are not allergic to it. In fact, it is best to ask an expert first.
- You can apply almond oil on your chapped lips to make them soft and supple. Take a very small amount of almond oil on your fingertip and massage your chapped lips for at least 2 minutes and leave it overnight. You will see your lips have become soft. This nourishing oil is definitely a perfect solution to your body parts that are most exposed.
Note: Always ensure washing your face at night, in order to keep it acne free. Your skin should be free of any chemical or makeup and even skin creams, etc. Allow the skin to breathe. Give skin some time to repair itself and care for it by giving it the moisture it needs. Once you have washed your face, apply some almond oil on the skin and leave it. Your skin will be moisturized.
Almonds oil is beneficial for our skin, hair, diet and overall health. Also, it is have antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
If you like this article, do share your thoughts in the comment box below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here, we have answered a few interesting FAQs about almond oil health benefits.
Almond oil, as compared to most cooking oils, has a high smoking point, which makes it a great oil for frying. In fact, it has lesser saturated fats, so you can use it in frying, baking and cooking. It doesn’t tend to add an extra flavor to your food.
Yes, you can leave it on your face or skin overnight, especially if you have a dry skin. But before applying it on your skin, it is best to always do a patch test, so you know if you are not allergic to it.
It is said that sweet almond oil is said to reduce dark circles. It contains vitamin E, vitamin K and retinol that help reduce not just dark circles and under-eye puffiness. However, please ensure that you are not allergic to it.