Act II Sweet Corn Review: Peri Peri & Chaat Masala
Easy to prepare, difficult to share! We tried Peri Peri and Chaat Masala variants of Act II Sweet Corn. The fresh and juicy kernels are commendable.
Hill stations, scenic views, chilly breeze, and a cup of generously buttered corn kernels- ah! While you can’t really bring the hills home, that rich cup of corn, you can. Peel, deseed, boil, butter, and voila! Once seasoned the way you like, it is ready to be savored. However, if the process seems like a handful, may we introduce you to one of our latest pantry staples- Act II Sweet Corn.
These are pre-peeled, pre-boiled, so all you need to do is heat the kernels and add the seasoning. For our Act II Sweet Corn review, we ordered both variants the brand offers- Chaat Masala and Peri Peri. Let’s see which fared butter.
Variants We Reviewed
Act II Sweet Corn – Everything You Need To Know
All you need to know about Act II Sweet Corn is discussed here.
1. Available Flavours
This RTE sweet corn is offered in Chaat Masala and Peri Peri variants.
2. Available Sizes
Currently, pouches of approximately 150 grams are offered.
3. Price Range
Both variants are priced at Rs 25 for a 153-gram pack.
4. Shelf Life
They have a shelf life of 8-9 months.
5. Main Ingredients
Sweet corn, water with 1% Iodized salt are common for both. The ingredients used to prepare seasonings vary.
Related Reading- Act II Pani Puri Popcorn
Act II Sweet Corn – Our Review Factors
Are the corn kernels fresh? Are they juicy or dried? To form a fair and detailed review, we answer such questions and more.
Do the corn kernels come in travel-friendly packaging? Is this something you can take along to work or class?
Here we checked the taste of the corn kernels individually and with the seasoning later. Do the kernels taste fresh? Do they retain that bite? What about juiciness?
Is the quantity of seasoning provided apt?
The size and color of the corn kernels were what we were looking for. Do the kernels look fresh and plump?
Is Act II Sweet Corn something you can prepare to curb those midnight cravings? Mess-free, hassle-free preparation or would you need a lot of different bowls and spoons?
Act II Sweet Corn Flavours – Detailed Review
Here are some similarities and key differences between the two variants we reviewed.
|Act II Sweet Corn||Peri Peri||Chaat Masala|
|Price||Rs 25||Rs 25|
|Quantity||153 grams||153 grams|
|Shelf Life||Approximately eight months||Approximately nine months|
|Calories||89 Kcal||84 Kcal|
Both variants of Act II Sweet Corn are packed and processed using retorting technology.
What is retorting? Under this technique, rigid containers made of metal/alloy, glass or plastic or flexible retort pouches are used. With a goal of achieving commercial sterilization via heat, retorting is one of those processes where heat is transferred rapidly, reducing the overall processing time needed which results in relatively fewer loss of nutrients. Moreover, this process also eliminates the need for storing food items under refrigeration or in a freezer.
Inside the outer pack, there is a pouch of corn kernels and one sachet holding the seasoning mix. Act II Sweet Corn comes packed in flexible pouches that are puncture-resistant.
Preparation- The pack suggests two methods of preparation- in a microwave or over a stovetop. Instead of poking a few holes in the inner pouch, we emptied the contents in a microwave-safe bowl and microwaved the kernels at the highest setting for two minutes. Post draining the excess water, a pinch of salt, half a teaspoon of butter, and the seasoning that comes with this were added to the bowl and mixed well. Scroll below for details of the taste test.
1. Peri Peri
Before adding the seasoning, we gauged the corn kernels for their quality. We were delightfully surprised to find plump, fresh-looking, medium-large-sized kernels.
Once the corn was ready to eat, we noticed the seasoning had coated all kernels evenly, it was apt in terms of quantity.
The kernels were cooked perfectly and had a juicy bite to them. Whole kernels were seen throughout, none of them were broken. For the quality, we give it a big thumbs up!
Peri Peri is loved for its complexity and versatility. Dominant on spice, Peri Peri is laced with subtle sweetness, sourness, and saltiness. Our experience with this RTE corn was delightful.
The heat Peri Peri added complemented the natural sweetness of corn quite well. A balanced flavor of tangy and spicy was loved by the entire Team.
- A 153-gram pack is priced at Rs 25.
- It has a shelf life of eight months and offers a single-serve.
- In addition to sweet corn and water with 1% iodized salt, the main ingredients of the seasoning are- Iodized Salt, Sugar, Dehydrated Vegetables (Garlic Powder), Spices and Condiments (Chilli Powder, Black Pepper Powder, Oregano Flakes, Parsley Flakes), Lemon Juice Powder, Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid) and Added Flavours – Natural and Nature Identical Flavouring Substances.
- We loved how fresh and juicy the kernels were.
- Visual consistency was maintained and the kernels were well cooked.
- The seasoning showcases rich flavors.
- It evenly coats all kernels.
- This is beginner-friendly and pocket-friendly.
- The preparation process is fairly quick too.
- The packaging is commendable.
Best Suited For
A light but nutritious snack, something for those mid-morning or midnight cravings, Act II Sweet Corn Peri Peri is something you mustn’t miss out on.
2. Chaat Masala
From sandwiches to fruit plates, chaat masala adds loads of flavors with just a tiny sprinkle. And sweet corn, butter, with chaat masala is a heavenly combination, as we’d all agree.
Despite having a fresh and juicy bowl of corn kernels, our experience wasn’t as good as the first variant. The ingredient list of the seasoning mentions multiple flavorful spices but this was reflected poorly in the finished product.
The seasoning lacked a spice kick and the tanginess from dried mango powder and pomegranate seeds was too subtle.
We think a tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice would do the trick here. Overall, only the corn kernels tasted good, the seasoning was quite average.
- A 151-gram pack is priced at Rs 25.
- It has a shelf life of approximately nine months.
- Main Ingredients (seasoning)- Iodized Salt, Spices And Condiments (Dried Mango Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Black Pepper Powder, Pomegranate Seeds, Muskmelon Seeds, Mint Powder, Ginger Powder, Nutmeg Powder, Chilli Powder, Caraway Powder, Bishops Powder, Cloves Powder, Asafetida) and Black Salt.
- The consistency and freshness of corn kernels is appreciated.
- The kernels have a nice bite, they aren’t over or undercooked.
- This makes for a pocket-friendly snack.
- The seasoning does not have intense flavors. Spice and tanginess are very subtle.
Best Suited For
We think young children and those with a low spice tolerance would enjoy this mildly flavored snack.
Our Top Picks & Recommendations
Without a doubt, we choose Act II Sweet Corn Peri Peri as the Top Pick. Both variants have fresh and juicy corn kernels, but Chaat Masala wasn’t as flavorful as Peri Peri.
Act II Sweet Corn Peri Peri is the pick of the bunch! The combination of juicy corn kernels with the perfectly flavored Peri Peri seasoning did it for us.
Chaat Masala, on the other hand, wasn’t as flavorful. The chaat masala tang and spice were missing.
Do you prefer roasted corn on the cob or boiled and buttered corn kernels in a cup?
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Act II Sweet Corn.
1. Is this sweet corn healthy to consume?
Yes, this can make for a low-calorie, fiber-rich snack. One serving has less than 100 Kcal.
2. What are the toppings that can be added after preparing the sweet corn?
In addition to the seasoning that comes with the corn, you can add grated cheese, some lemon juice, hot sauces, and other sauteed veggies like broccoli, carrots, capsicum.
3. Can this sweet corn be paired with tea or coffee?
Yes, but ensure the beverage isn’t milk-based.
4. Which is the best flavor amongst these sweet corns?
Between the two variants we reviewed, we recommend the Peri Peri Act II Sweet Corn.
5. Is this sweet corn a vegetarian food item?
Yes, this is a vegetarian food item.
Quick Snacks? Check These
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.