Are Dried Apples Good For You?
Are dried apples good for you? Yes, apples are good for you whether they are fresh or dried. They help you in giving energy and improving your hormonal balance. They enhance your brain’s functioning as well.
With a hectic lifestyle in mind, it has become important for everyone to add healthy items to their diets. Apple is one of the most popular fruits eaten around the world and comes with immense health benefits. It is crunchy and juicy and eaten with great delight by all age-groups. It is essential to add this fruit to your diet – whether fresh or dried, like dried apples. But now you might be thinking are dried apples good for you because you have always heard to have fresh fruits.
So, go through this piece to get an answer to your question along with getting some extra information on how to dry apples at home if you want to. Also, learn about the dried apple nutrition details to make a better judgment on whether you should go for them or not.
Are Dried Apples Good For You?
Well, yes, dried apples are good for your health. It has various health benefits to offer. And some of those benefits have been mentioned below:
- If you were thinking ’are dried apples good for you,’ then this benefit will convince you to add it to your diet according to which dehydrated apples help prevent constipation. These apples are a rich source of both soluble and insoluble fibers that helps in softening your stool.
- Because of fiber in dehydrated apples, it helps maintain the blood sugar levels in your body.
- These apples also help in getting rid of bacteria and toxins from your gut.
- If you have them in good quality, they will make you feel full for hours. This means you will eat less while still feeling full and keep your weight in check.
- As we talk about dried apple health benefits, they are at promoting energy metabolism in your body. They assist you in improving the hormonal balance and nourishing your brain. And all of this is because of the presence of Vitamin B in this dried fruit. It makes you feel active, mentally, and physically all the time. So, you should add it to your diet if energy is your issue.
- Another reason you should go for the dry apples is that these help you improve your cellular health. As they are a rich source of antioxidants, they protect the cells from free radicals and prevent damages.
- The dried apples are full of minerals like potassium, sodium, and iron to keep you healthy. They also contain copper and magnesium in small quantities to offer you their benefits.
- They are made with zero fat content, and so they can be an amazing snack for you while you are trying to maintain your weight.
So, these are a few benefits that will convince you why are apples good for you and why to add them to your diet.
Dehydrated Apples Nutrition Values
As you want to add the dried apples to your diet, here are a few nutritional details you need to know about them in an 86 grams of dry apple:
- It contains 56.67 g of Carbohydrate.
- It has a total dietary fiber of 7.5 g.
- Copper is 0.164 mg in 1 cup of dried apples.
- Iron is 1.2 mg.
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) is 0.137 mg.
- The potassium is 387 mg.
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) is 0.107 mg.
- Sodium is 75 mg.
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin) is 0.797 mg.
- And Phosphorus is 33 mg.
So, all in all, after going through these nutritional values, the dried apples are good for your health, and this is an answer to your worry that ’are dried apples good for you’ or not. You should not wait to add them to your diet if available in good quantity and at an affordable price.
How To Dry Apples At Home?
If you are one of those dried apple people who want to do things on their own, then these are a few methods you can follow to dehydrate apples on your own:
- Dry them Naturally:
If you want to do things naturally and get an answer to your curiosity that ’are dried apples good for you,’ then this is a way for you:
- Take the best quality apples and wash them under running water.
- Peel the skin if you want or directly cut them into thin slices to speed up the drying process.
- When done with cutting the slices, do not hang them on a wooden stick over the stove to dry slowly.
- Or, lay the slices on a tray and place it under the direct sunlight to get done with the drying process.
- Both of these ways will take a bit more time than the other methods, but they will prevent you from using electrical appliances and their rays.
- Once they are dehydrated, you will keep them aside to cool down for a few minutes, and then you can store them in a glass jar or airtight container.
- Use an Oven:
If you have an oven at your place, you can follow these steps to get done with the process and enjoy dried apple nutrition:
- The first step is going to be the same. Buy the best fresh apples and clean them properly before peeling them.
- When done with cleaning them, cut the apple into thin slices to dry up quickly.
- And as you are doing all this, you will preheat the oven at 150˚F, or the lowest temperature.
- Now, place the slices on a cooling rack placed on the baking sheet, and put it inside the oven.
- As you keep the tray inside the oven, make sure that you do not close its door completely to let the moisture escape from the appliance.
- It will take you around 2-3 hours to get done with the process. The time will vary according to the thickness of your slices. So, you will have to keep an eye on them to prevent them from burning.
- As you keep a check on the slices, you will keep on flipping their slices to ensure uniform dehydration.
- And once you like the slices are dehydrated, you will take the tray out and let the slices cool down for a few minutes.
Then take an airtight container to store the slices in a cool, dry place for durability. And whenever you feel like enjoying the benefits of eating apples, you can have these dried slices to fulfill your wish.
- Use a Food Dehydrator: If you don’t have an oven, you can always use a food dehydrator to dry apples and have them to get an answer for your question, “Are Dried Apples Good for you?”
- Repeat the first step here as well. Get the fresh apples and wash them with cold water to remove dirt.
- Peel the skin of the apples if you wish and cut them into slices.
- Now place these slices on the tray and push it inside the dehydrator.
- You will turn the dehydrator to 145˚F initially to dry the apples and then reduce it to 135˚F after an hour to get done with the process.
- After a few minutes, you will check the slices to see if they are dry and take them out if they are ready.
- Now, let it cool for a few minutes and store it in a glass jar for durability.
Ensure that you keep them in a cool, dry place to get their benefits for a long time.
Are Dried Apples Bad for you?
As you have just got an answer to your query ‘are dried apples good for you,’ here are some cons as well of eating dried apples that you need to know:
- As the dried apples have calories in them, if being a diabetic patient, you are not taking it in a limited quantity, it can affect your condition.
- Not in every case, but in some cases, people can face minor stomach ache due to the high fiber content of apples.
And as we all know that excess of everything is bad, we should consume the dried apples in a limited quantity to enjoy their benefits and prevent their drawbacks.
Can It Be Bought From The Market?
Yes, if you don’t want to dry the apples on your own, you can always buy them from the market. But make sure that you are buying the branded ones because they will have good quality and will be beneficial for you, unlike the local dried apples.
If you were not sure ‘are dried apples good for you,’ we hope this article has helped you get an appropriate answer. It is well-known that apples are good for you, but you need to be sure about the amount you are consuming or else you might have to face its drawbacks.
And after being convinced of the benefits of organic dried apples, if you want to add them to your diet, you can easily get them from the market. You can also follow some simple methods we mentioned in this guide to dry apples on your own.