Best Tawa For Dosa: Learn Everything From A To Z About This Cookware
With over hundreds of brands to choose from, find the best tawa for dosa can overwhelm you. Follow us and understand what makes a good tawa great and how you can get the best dosa for yourself, every time you crave one.
South Indian cuisines are known for their subtleness of taste, the richness of distinct aroma, and the wonderful visions of the food. Be it the sambar or the coconut shrimp curry; their food is popular worldwide. And of all the dishes south India is famous for, the dosa is right on top of the list. It’s easy to make one at home, can be eaten with a wide variety of accompaniments and is delicious. Plus they come in a wide range of varieties too – from the simple rice-batter dosa to the rava dosa, millets dosa and more. And to make that dosa a success, what you need the most is the best tawa for dosa.
As you already know, the tawa can be used for several kinds of flatbreads or pancakes. Unfortunately, several surveys have shown that people aren’t exactly aware of the flat tawa for dosa, and end up buying random cookware and regret it later. So, if you don’t want to see yourself in such a situation in the future, it’s time to learn everything about the best tawa for dosa before you waltz into a store to buy one.
A look at the Top Picks For Best Dosa Tawa Brands:
- Best Multi-purpose Non-stick Dosa Tawa: Vinod Marbilo Non-Stick Aluminium Dosa Tawa
- Gas Cooktop and Induction Friendly: Hawkins Futura Nonstick Dosa Tawa
- Granite Nonstick Tawa: Prestige Omega Deluxe Dosa Tawa
- Heavyweight Aluminum Dosa Tawa: WonderChef Aluminum Black Dosa Tawa
Summary Table: Best Dosa Tawa Brands In India
For perfect dosa you need a perfect dosa tawa. Here are top dosa tawa brands information from where you can the best.
|Serial no.||Product Name||Buy Now On Amazon|
|1.||Vinod Marbilo Non-Stick Aluminum Dosa Tawa||Check price here|
|2.||Hawkins Futura Nonstick Dosa Tawa||Check price here|
|3.||Prestige Omega Deluxe dosa tawa||Check price here|
|4.||Rock dosa tawa 12 inch||Check price here|
|5.||Wonderchef Aluminum Black Dosa Tawa||Check price here|
|6.||Pigeon Dosa Tawa||Check price here|
Best Indian Tawa For Making Dosa
We have learned about the general structure of a dosa Tawa, the materials with which the cookware is made, and several other things. For this reason, here we will be talking about the top designs of the best Tawa for dosa so that you can have clarity on which particular cookware to buy for your new kitchen.
1. Vinod Marbilo Non-Stick Aluminium Dosa Tawa
This one was a unanimous winner in a review process that lasted weeks in our Mishry test kitchens.
In every batch of dosas cooked, Vinod’s Marbilo consistently cooked crisp, and evenly cooked dosas.
This is an economical and a multi-purpose option for all this who want a quality product that be used for cooking dosas, piranhas, and even packages.
* Sleek handle and comfortable to hold.
* This is a lightweight tala, and weighs 608 grams with a 250 mm diameter.
* The tawa is gas and induction friendly. It is also dishwasher safe, metal spoon friendly and comes with a 24 month warranty period.
* The tawa is PFOA free with a durable marble finish coating.
2. Hawkins Futura Nonstick Dosa Tawa
This particular dosa tawa comes from the hands of one of the best cookware companies- Hawkins Futura. Perhaps this is the primary reason it has become the best Tawa for dosa in recent years. The Tawa has some impeccable features which you can’t deny, and that’s what we will learn now.
- The Tawa base has a hard-anodized structure that has made it possible for the cookware to reduce cooking time by conducting more heat to the food.
- The nonstick coating present at the top surface will help you prevent the sticking of the dosa at the time of cooking.
- This particular Tawa is suitable to use on both the gas cooktop and the induction one.
- The nonstick coating is made with German technology, because of which you will need the least amount of oil at the time of cooking.
3. Prestige Omega Deluxe Granite nonstick tawa
While planning for Prestige dosa tawa online shopping, you can look for this amazing granite covered nonstick tawa from the Omega Deluxe series. Apart from having a fantastic finish on the top surface, the Tawa features many other characteristics that have made this cookware one of the most chosen ones from the Prestige family.
- The tawa is made from aluminum’s core element, which is then covered with a granite nonstick coat. The presence of this coating will allow you to cook your food faster without worrying about dosas getting burnt or batter sticking to the surface.
- There is a shoulder around the circumference of the flat surface, which will give you superior control over the batter once you pour it into the tawa.
- The base of the tawa is quite thick because the cookware can spread heat faster without itself getting damaged in the process.
4. Rock Tawa dosa twelve-inch cast-iron skillet
This particular Rock dosa tawa is one of the best creations of the brand to date. Having a distinctive structure, the Tawa has helped many food lovers to prepare the best dosa without spoiling the batter or the cooked dosa sheet itself.
- The material used in this tawa is cast iron, with 2% carbon and a little amount of chromium in it. The cast iron has made it one of the best Tawas for preparing the perfect dosas of any kind.
- High-quality iron has been used, so you need not worry about the cooking time of the cookware.
- The best part of this particular tawa is that you can use it with several types of cooktops, including gas stoves, induction, or the normal electric stoves.
- The use of the cast iron will increase the concentration of the iron ions in the food, thereby making it healthier for people.
- You wouldn’t have to face any hassle in cleaning this dosa tawa iron, because of which it can also be used in small professional kitchens.
5. WonderChef aluminum black dosa tawa
Just as the name sounds, this brand certainly makes some of the wonderful cookware elements, starting from kadhais to pans. Recently, it has introduced this amazing Tawa with aluminum core material, which will reduce your cooking time and also help you to make the best dosa.
- The aluminum used in the making of this tawa is completely pure, which is way more efficient than any other kind of aluminum grades used in cookware.
- The heavyweight of this best tawa for dosawill allow you to cook the dosas perfectly without the fear of the batter getting burnt.
- You can use this particular tawa on both the induction ovens and the normal gas cooktops.
- The tawa’s upper surface has the C3 grade nonstick coating because of which your food would never stick to the surface.
6. Pigeon special nonstick dosa Tawa
Pigeon is one of the most recognized cookware brands in India. This is why we have considered this as the best non stick dosa tawa. It has some of the most desired features which you won’t find anywhere else easily. So, without wasting any more time, let’s see what you will get with this tawa.
- The tawa is made from aluminum with a hard-anodized base. This lets you cook dosas faster and with a little amount of heat.
- The tawa’s nonstick surface cooks will help you cook the dosas without having to deal with batter stuck to the base, or an overtly cooked dosa, which is as good as it being burnt.
- Another advantage of using this particular Tawa is that you can easily use a metal spatula to easily turn over the duct. Unlike other nonstick tawas, this one has a nonstick coat that won’t get damaged due to metal spoons.
Difference Between Roti Tawa And Tawa Dosa
The most frequently asked question that we have come across while looking for dosa lovers’ problems is the similarities and differences between a Tawa for roti and a professional dosa tawa.
The tawas for making both rotis and dosas are the same. The only difference is in the process of cooking. While making a roti, you only need a little bit of heat and steam, but when you are making the dosa, you need high heat to make it crisp and beautifully golden brown. So, when you buy the best tawa for dosa, you can look for one used for making rotis and chapatis also.
What Does the Best Tawa for Dosa Look Like?
When we say tawa, different variations pop up in front of us. In the earlier days, tawas were simply flat cookware made of cast iron, with no handles or protective elements. Women used pieces of cloth to handle the hot utensil, which was never a good way of dealing with heavy cookware. This is why in the modern version of the south Indian dosa tawa, you will find handles that allow you to balance the utensil on the cooktop while cooking the dish.
But, since we are being specific, it is best to describe the entire structure line of the best tawa for dosa that you can find in the market.
- The tawa is generally round-shaped cookware made from various materials, from cast iron to aluminum.
- This circular surface can either be flat like paper or can form a slight concave at the center like a dish.
- Two different types of handle options are present with the modern-day dosa maker tawa.
- The handle is annealed with the plate after several heat treatment steps to ensure that both structures are fixed tightly.
- In some tawas, you wouldn’t find a shoulder around the circumference. But, in certain designs, there will be an inch shoulder acting as a guard around the circumference.
- The dosa rock tawa surface can be coated with a normal black finish lacquer or with granular lacquers, based on the structure.
Materials used for Tawa Dosa
The next thing you need to understand is the types of material with which the best tawa for dosa is usually made. Generally, the Tawa was used to be made from cast iron, because of which people were able to cook the dosas faster. But, the small cooking time came at the cost of burning the food or sticking the dosa material to the iron’s surface.
Considering these difficulties, utensil makers have designed the best tawa for dosa out of several other materials, which we will discuss here. So, let’s get to know what kind of Tawa material is present in the market.
1. Cast iron
The most efficient material for making dosas is the cast iron. In the dosa Tawa cast iron, the iron material is mixed with two to four percent carbon and a little chromium or nickel. As a result, an alloy of pure iron is formed, because of which the Tawa becomes resilient to heat and external damages. The iron Tawas are quite heavy, because of which the dosas are prepared in the best possible manner.
If you are looking forward to buying the best dosa Tawa Prestige, you can look for the ones made from layered hard-anodized oxide aluminum. Here, the cook’s core material is aluminum, which is then treated with an oxide coating. Once the coating hardens, the aluminum becomes corrosion resistant and heat-resistant. As a result, you can cook the dosa without burning the food at high temperatures.
Another famous and well-known material for the best tawa for dosa is the nonstick version. Made from Teflon or another kind of heavily treated nonstick material, these tawas will help you cook the dosas effectively, without them burning or tearing away. In most modern households, people use the nonstick tawa for making their favorite dosa versions.
Best Tawa for Dosa – Everything you need to know
Even though we have discussed names of the five best dosa tawa online, choosing any of them is not easy. Moreover, we have discussed just five names. But, if you will search through the online stores, you will find over 50 different tawas for making just dosa. That is exactly why we decided to put out a buying guide for you to help buy the best tawa for dosa.
1. Size and dimensions
Your first work will be to choose the dimensions and the size of the tawa properly. For this particular cookware, the dimensional size measurements will depend on two facts:
- The diameter of the circular face of the tawa.
- The thickness of the material used in the manufacturing of this cookware.
When you look for the best tawa, you have to ensure that you have chosen the proper size of the cookware. The diameter of the tawa face should be such that it doesn’t occupy a lot of space on your cook-top.
As discussed earlier, the best tawa for dosa is made from several materials, starting with hard-anodized aluminum to cast iron. Based on the features of the chosen material, the cons and pros of the cookware will also vary. For example, cast iron tawas are quite heavy and generally preferred in professional kitchens. But, handling the iron tawa is quite difficult as compared to a nonstick tawa. Since choosing the perfect material is not easy, here we have discussed some tips that you implement when buying the tawa.
- You need to choose the material based on the utility of the cookware in your home. For example, if you want the tawa solely for cooking dosa, we would say to go with the iron tawa for dosa. If you are looking for an all-rounder Tawa, you can choose the nonstick or the hard-anodized aluminum one.
- The choice of the material also depends on your budget. A simple aluminum tawa is less expensive than a nonstick one. If you would like to get a nonstick tawa, you might need to increase your budget.
- If you choose the cast iron tawa, make sure that the iron is of high grade.
Another factor you need to look for while buying the best dosa tawa is the price. The dosa tawas come in various price ranges, depending on several other factors, directly or indirectly. So, if you want to have clarity on the cookware budget, let’s discover the dependable facts first.
- The price of the tawa will depend on the material you are choosing. For example, a nonstick tawa will cost more than a simple cast iron tawa. So, make sure to set your budget according to the material you want.
- The price will also depend on the brand of the cookware. If you choose a branded Tawa, you will have to bear a hefty amount since with a brand comes the assurance and high-quality parts. If you choose a normal company for the Tawa, you can avoid paying the extra costs.
- The dosa pan price will vary according to the size and thickness of the material used in manufacturing the same. So, before choosing a random piece, make sure you have the right size within your budget limit.
While choosing the best Tawa, you also have to look into the brand. As we have discussed earlier, there are several brands in the market, both established and local ones. For this reason, you will have a lot of options for the brand, and hence, you need to be careful while selecting one.
Some of the popular brands making the Tawa for dosa have been mentioned here:
- The Indus Valley
5. Finishing look
The next thing you will have to work on is the finishing look of the best dosa tawa in India. Usually, a black oxide coat is given on the top surface of most of the tawas. But, recently, various other finishing looks have been introduced for the Tawas. Here we have discussed some of the most common finishing looks that you can get from the market.
- Black oxide-finish in a matte form in tawas from Hawkins Futura, Rock Tawa, and even the Nirlon tawas.
- Granular black oxide-finish with white particles in the Vinod induction tawa.
- In both Nirlon and Solimo tawas, the interior surface has a matte black finish, whereas the outer surface has a red coating.
- Granular grey color coating is also available in tawas from WonderChef, Cello, and even Nirlon.
- Design and aesthetics:
Frequently Asked Questions
Dosa is one of the healthiest Indian breakfast options. Getting that crispiness in a dosa is a must. To get that wafer-thin crispiness, the perfect dosa-tawa is a must. But how do you pick one? What material should it be made off; you might be wondering. Here are all your questions around the best dosa tawa answered below.
Cast iron Tawa is a better and most efficient option for making dosa. Cast iron is an alloy of pure iron, making it more durable and resistant to heat. Usually, dosa is made on high heat. Using a tawa made from cast iron can avoid external damages.
Metals such as cast iron, aluminum, and non-stick are some of the good material options one can look for while buying Tawa for Rotis. Along with it, you can consider hard-anodized material too.
If you are a health freak and aim to prepare dosa healthy and oil-free then non-stick dosa Tawa is for you as non-stick Tawa comes with double layer non-stick coating, which is a perfect option to get healthy oil-free crispy dosa with no hassle such as batter sticking or burnt dosa.
While buying Tawa either for dosa or roti, the one thing that concerns us the most is the material it is made from. Is that material durable? Will it last long? These are some questions which we get into our mind. So, try these metals Tawa as they are one of the popular and most used Tawa metals, which are-
- Cast Iron
We handpicked these five dosa Tawa products, which are available in the Indian market.
- Hawkins Futura Non-Stick Dosa Tawa
- Prestige Omega Deluxe Granite Non-Stick Tawa
- Rock Tawa Dosa 12” Cast-Iron Skillet
- WonderChef Aluminum Black Dosa Tawa
- Pigeon Special Non Stick Dosa Tawa
Lastly, the thing that matters when buying a tawa dosa is the design and the aesthetics of the utensil. For example, you can buy a Tawa having a shoulder surrounding the circumference to have the ultimate control on the dosa batter. But, if you want to cook like a pro, you can go for the seamless tawas with no shoulders around the circumference. You can also choose from the handle options as you can have a long Tawa stick handle covered with a polymer or two handles on either side of the Tawa along a diameter. Another option you will have is in the compatibility with the cooktop. Some tawas will be perfect for gas tops, while some can be exclusively used for the inductions. You can also look for the tawas, which are compatible with both these cooktops.
Buying the best tawa for dosa is only as difficult as you can it to be. Plus, our buying guide will definitely help you to pick the right one. Also, we have listed down five of the most chosen tawas for your convenience, which will help you get the best one for your kitchen.