Everything You Need To Know About The Best Ghee In India
Are you looking for the best ghee in India? This article gives you detailed information about the different brands of ghee and their benefits.
Ghee is an indispensable part of every Indian’s food platter. We cannot even think of aloo ke parathe, besan ka halwa, or khichdi without ghee. Ghee adds a touch of deliciousness to food. It is also essential for good health. Pure ghee is a goldmine of many nutrients and has several health benefits. In this article, we will talk about the best ghee in India and how to identify it.
According to the words of the famous Ayurveda Guru, Maharishi Charavaka, “As long as you live, live happily, and even if you have to take a loan, ensure that you can drink ghee.” Ghee is beneficial for our bones, skin, as well as hair. It is also an essential component of Indian rituals and festivals. However, there are many factors that we should keep in mind before buying the best ghee in India. We should check the type of cow, container, method of extraction, ingredients, and more before buying the best ghee.
1. Best Organic Ghee: Patanjali Cow Ghee
2. Best Rich Aromatic Ghee: Aashirvaad Svasti Pure Cow Ghee
3. Best Hygienically Packed Ghee: Vedaka Cow Ghee
Summary Table: Best Ghee Brands In India
Ghee is one of the key components of our food but picking the best brand can be confusing. Here’s a rundown of the 8 best ghee brands in India.
|Serial no.||Product Name||Buy Now On Amazon|
|1.||Patanjali Cow’s Ghee||Check price here|
|2.||Aashirvaad Svasti Pure Cow Ghee||–|
|3.||Amul Pure Ghee||Check price here|
|4.||Morton Cow Ghee||Check price here|
|5.||Hatsun Ghee||Check price here|
|6.||Amazon Brand – Vedaka Cow Ghee||Check price here|
|7.||Gowardhan Cow Ghee||Check price here|
|8.||Mother Dairy Pure Healthy Ghee||–|
Best Ghee Brands In India
1. Patanjali Ghee
Patanjali desi cow ghee is currently one of India’s most popular ghee brands. It is full of nutritive ingredients and ideal to add to your diet. Regular consumption of this ghee increases memory, power of digestion, Ojas, and reduces extra fat. It also plays a significant role in boosting our immune system.
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Rich in antioxidants
- Ideal to include in your diet
2. Aashirvaad Svasti Ghee
Aashirvaad is one of the most trusted brands in India and has a vast range of products including ghee. It first launched its dairy product in 2015. This ghee is made with a SloCook process to provide a rich aroma, golden texture and consistent quality. It naturally includes vitamin A.
- Rich aroma and granular texture
- Made with a special SloCook process
- Pure cow ghee
3. Amul Ghee
Amul Ghee tops among the top 10 cow ghee brands in India. It has fantastic taste and quality. If you’re considering food for better digestion, ghee can be a good option.
This pack of ghee is available in the quantity of 1 L. It offers a natural flavor. It ensures a rich aroma and granular texture.
- Natural flavor
- Made from fresh cream
- Consumed for better digestion
4. Morton Ghee
Morton Ghee is popular ghee from the house of Morton Dairy in Chandannagar in Hoogly district in West Bengal. This pure and authentic Morton ghee is a part of every Bengali household. It is 100% pure and authentic and enhances the taste of traditional Bengali dishes. It is processed under hygienic conditions and is used during culinary preparations.
- No artificial flavors and colors
- Ideal addition to your meal
- Goodness of vitamin A
5. Hatsun Ghee
If you are looking for a ghee brand rich in aroma and consistent in texture, then Hatsun ghee is the one for you. Hatsun Agro Product Limited produces this premium quality ghee.
It has the authentic flavor of traditional ghee and is ideal for making delicious dishes, sweets, and savories. It is manufactured in Kerala.
- Rich in aroma
- Offers traditional taste
- Comes with consistent texture
6. Mother Dairy Pure Ghee
Mother Dairy is one of the most famous cow ghee brands in India. Mother Dairy Pure Ghee is a rich source of vitamins that are very useful for body growth.
This brand is suitable for vegetarians. It also comes with a natural flavor. Naturally, it is a good source of vitamin A and energy.
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Ideal to add to your meals
7. Vedaka Cow Ghee
This cow ghee from Vedaka has many health benefits and offers a mouth-watering taste and flavor. Adding to parathas, rotis, and sweets gives them a delicious taste.
It is also free from preservatives and artificial color. This 1 L pouch of cow ghee is hygienically packed. It offers multiple nutritive properties.
- Ideal taste enhancer for preparing meals and sweets
- Contains no preservatives and no artificial colors
- Perfect packaging to maintain hygiene
8. Gowardhan Ghee
Gowardhan ghee is made using an untouched technique that ensures the pure nature of the product. The product offers natural flavor and is perfect for vegetarians.
It is made up of 100% cow’s milk and comes with great taste. This ghee from Gowardhan is available in these quantities – 100 ml, 200 ml and 1 L.
- Comes with a natural flavor
- Ideal to add to your dal and rice
- Made from cow’s milk
Health Benefits Of The Best Ghee In India
Ghee has countless benefits and uses that are not only restricted to food but also Indian rituals and customs.
- Ghee contains a saturated fat called short-chain fatty acids that along with providing energy to our body, aids in weight loss. It helps to get rid of stubborn fat.
- It has numerous health benefits. It provides lubrication to joints and nourishes the skin and hair, boosts fertility, and more.
- It also regulates blood sugar level and, therefore, is considered ideal for diabetic patients.
- Ghee also has a very high smoke point of 250 degrees Celsius and is an ideal medium for high heat cooking such as deep-frying puris and pakodas.
- Unlike butter, which is also a dairy product, ghee does not contain lactose and can easily be consumed by lactose-intolerant people.
- The best ghee in India is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids that decrease unhealthy LDL cholesterol and improve the heart’s health.
- The best cow ghee in India also has butyric acid, which reduces the inflammation of body parts. Therefore, it also improves our immune system.
- The best ghee in India also contains Vitamin A, which helps in maintaining good eye health. It also prevents macular degenerations and reduces the chance of cataract.
How To Choose The Best Cow Ghee In India?
The things you should consider while buying the pure ghee.
1. Is it genuine cow ghee?
Many brands in India are now selling a special type of ghee called Vanaspati ghee or vegetable ghee. This ghee is made of hydrogenated vegetable oil. Hence they are not cow ghee. Customers are, therefore, advised to read the ingredient list carefully before purchasing.
2. Shelf life
An unopened container of ghee has a shelf life of twelve months, whereas an opened container of cow ghee has a shelf life of three months. Therefore, customers should read the ‘best before’ and expiry date before buying the best cow ghee in India. Right jar size- Since an opened container of ghee has a shelf life of three months.
Therefore you should buy the right container for you. If you have a big family or your daily intake of ghee is high, then go for a large container. However, if you occasionally use ghee, it is advised that you buy a small or medium-sized container of India’s best ghee.
3. Avoid artificial flavoring agents in ghee
One should never buy ghee that comes with artificial flavoring ingredients. Ghee, which is infused with artificial flavoring ingredients, cannot be used in every type of cooking. Although spiced ghee is becoming more and more popular nowadays, customers are still advised to read the ingredients list to purchase the best ghee in India.
Pure cow ghee will always have a yellowish or light-yellowish color. Customers should also keep in mind this factor before buying the cow desi ghee in India.
5. Decide if you want cow ghee or buffalo ghee
Cow milk is preferred over buffalo milk in India. From children to adults, all consume cow milk. Cow ghee is rich in minerals, proteins, vitamins, and calcium. It is easy to digest since it is low in fat and has fewer calories. Cow ghee further aids in weight loss.
Buffalo ghee, on the other hand, is rich in magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium. However, it is difficult to digest as it has more fat and calories than cow milk. Buffalo ghee is mostly consumed by those engaged in heavy physical activities such as weight lifting, kushti, wrestling, and other sports.
6. Ghee from Indian cow over Jersey and Holstein
Whey and casein are the two major types of milk proteins. Casein is further divided into two different categories- A and B casein. In today’s time, A1 and A2 are two main types to describe the type of quality. Cows generally produce A2 type, but these days A1 is also available.
Researches have shown that American cows such as Jersey and Holstein contain the A1 type. This type produces a compound called B casomorphin 7 (BCM7), increasing the risk of arteriosclerosis. It is a type of disease that restricts blood flow to the organs and tissues and suppresses the immune system.
Most Indian cows, however, produce the A2 type which is safe for consumption. Desi cows like Tharparkar, Sahiwal, Red Sindhi, and Rathi are highly recommended because they are known to have a high level of Omega 3 that gets rid of the cholesterol levels of the blood vessels.
7. Preference of ghee prepared by the Bilona method
Ghee produced using this traditional method improves eyesight, cures dryness, boasts anti-aging properties, regulates the digestive system, and many more. It also has a longer shelf life that can remain fresh for up to one year if kept in a tight container.
8. Look out for certain ingredients that you should avoid
Ingredients such as Vanaspati, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and palm oil should be avoided. In India, palm oil is commonly used since it is cheap and has the same color, smell, texture, and taste as desi ghee. Trans-fats found in palm oil affects cholesterol as it increases the bad cholesterol and destroys good cholesterol.
Vanaspati ghee is also not suited since it has a low smoke point and breaks down after 110-120 degrees Celsius. Anything cooked beyond the smoke point is bad for our health as it can cause diseases like cataracts, etc.
9. Does your ghee come in a glass container?
You should choose ghee that comes in glass containers since they increase shelf-life. Nowadays, many brands sell ghee in plastic containers as it decreases the cost of production. So the next time you purchase the best ghee in India, make sure that it is in a glass container.
Read here we answered all the most asked FAQs about desi ghee and its benefits.
Ghee Versus Butter
We live in a country that has a warm climate almost all year round. Hence it becomes difficult for us to preserve butter at room temperature. Ghee is preferred over butter in India for several reasons.
- The smoke point of ghee is higher than butter, which means it is far more suited for deep frying than butter. Hence it is used in many Indian households for frying puris and pakodas.
- Ghee can be heated for up to 250 Celsius, while butter can be up to 176 Celsius. Compared to butter that contains lactose traces, ghee does not have lactose or casein, which makes it easily consumable by people who are lactose intolerant. Moreover, ghee can remain fresh for up to three months for freshness, whereas butter can remain fresh for some days.
Patanjali Vs Amul Ghee
Let Us Focus On Patanjali Ghee Vs Amul Ghee.
1. Pure Amul Ghee
Pure Amul Ghee is made from fresh cream. It is a vegetarian product that has a delicious aroma and granular texture. It is made from the milk of pure desi cows and is a rich source of fat-soluble vitamins. The products come in a pouch, tin, or tetra packs, which are easy to use and travel-friendly. It is considered the best ghee in India.
Why is it healthy?
- The ghee is completely vegetarian.
- Made from cream and not curd.
- Has no artificial color or preservatives added to it.
- It has a shelf life of 9 months from the date of manufacturing.
- Regular consumption of this ghee helps in digestion and hormone production.
- Increases energy, memory power, and intelligence.
- Rich source of fat-soluble Vitamins A, D, K, and E.
- Free from bad cholesterol and bad fats.
- Comes in 3 packages- 1l tin, 1l pouch, and 1l tetra pack.
- The product packaging makes it easy to carry and use.
2. Patanjali Cow’s ghee
Patanjali Ayurved Limited is a popular brand that produces quality herbomineral products. Though the product is not organic, this ghee’s regular consumption will make you intelligent, increase memory and digestion. Also, it is beneficial for those people who want to gain weight.
Why is it healthy?
- This ghee is purely made of cow milk.
- Patanjali cow ghee contains 89% short-chain fatty acids.
- It comes in 3 different packages of 200 ml box, 500 ml tetra pack, and 1 l box.
- Has a shelf life of 9 months from the date of manufacturing.
- Regular intake of this ghee improves our digestive power and hormone production.
- It also increases our memory power, intelligence and boosts energy.
On closely looking at both the best ghee brands, it is not easy to choose one. However, it depends on the personal preference of people. Many people like Amul Ghee, while many people prefer Patanjali Ghee.
You can also easily purchase the best ghee online from popular sites such as Amazon, Grofers, Flipkart, and Bigbasket. All you need to do is search “cow ghee online” and you will be directed to the best desi ghee brands.
Know here the benefits of consuming A2 ghee.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most questions asked by our readers about ghee are as follows.
Cow ghee has a yellow color, whereas buffalo ghee has white color. Among the two, yellow ghee is a powerhouse of nutrition and has a lesser fat. Hence, if you are looking for weight management, consider having cow ghee.
The easiest way to check the purity of cow ghee is to heat a little portion of it on a spoon. If it melts and turns yellow, then its authenticity is questionable. But if it is heated, it melts and turns into a dark brownish color, then it is pure.
Many people have the wrong idea that consuming ghee makes people fat. Contrary to popular belief, ghee contains a saturated fat called short-chain fatty acids that along with providing energy to our body, aids in weight loss. It helps to get rid of stubborn fat.
A2 ghee is the best form of ghee for health.
Here we have presented an entire list of the best ghee in India. We have talked about the benefits of ghee, the various types of ghee, the difference between using ghee and butter, whether consuming ghee makes one gain weight, and much more.
The best ghee in India contains several vitamins and fatty acids that are very useful for the brain and body. Along with using ghee for cooking purposes, it has other uses as well. For a long time, ghee has been used in various Indian rituals such as during festivals, in pujas, and at weddings. It solely depends on the requirements of the customers to decide which brand they would like to buy. The best thing is that you can buy ghee online.
Buying from the links on this page may earn us a fee. Please read our complete ethics statement here.