Best Ice Cream Sandwich Brands in India
Vadilal Ice Cream Sandwich was chosen as the best ice cream sandwich brand in India by us. The cakey biscuits and creamy vanilla ice cream were a hit! We also recommend the ice cream sandwich by Havmor.
What is an ice cream sandwich? A popular frozen dessert that contains a thick layer of ice cream, usually vanilla, sandwiched between two large biscuits. There have been multiple eclectic and gourmet versions of the classic version; the vanilla-chocolate ice cream sandwiches remain an absolute favorite amongst the masses.
We picked four popular brands of ice cream sandwiches to test them on multiple parameters like creaminess, biscuit quality, list of ingredients and pricing. Vadilal’s Ice Cream Sandwich was chosen as the best ice cream sandwich brand in India. Read on to know why we chose Vadilal as our Top Pick. We Also Recommend Havmor’s Ice Cream Sandwich.
Ice Cream Sandwich Brands in India – Everything You Need To Know
Did you know? Ice Cream Sandwiches were made by hand until the early 1940’s. It was only after 1945 that their mass production began.
Here is all that you need to know about the ice cream sandwich brands in India.
1. Reviewed Brands
The brands of ice cream sandwich we reviewed are –
- Kwality Walls
Two popular brands, Cream Bell and Amul, could not be a part of this review due to unavailability.
2. Available Sizes
Ice Cream Sandwiches are available in a single size. Some brands do a variation in the type of biscuit or ice cream, but there is no variation in size.
3. Price Range
On an average, the price range for ice cream sandwiches is between Rs 25/- to Rs 30/-.
5. Main Ingredients
There are two components in an ice cream sandwich – the block of ice cream and the two biscuits/cookies that the ice cream is sandwiched between.
The biscuits are made using refined flour, sugar and fat. The type of fat can vary from brand to brand.
Now coming to the ice cream. As per FSSAI’s guidelines an ice cream can only be labeled as an ‘ice cream’, if it contains milk solids. If the list of ingredients mentions the use of vegetable fat, then it should be labeled as a frozen dessert.
6. Nutritional Facts
On an average, the calories can vary from 200-300 per 100 gms depending on the type of ingredients used.
But who’s counting calories when you’re biting into an ice cream sandwich?
Ice Cream Sandwich Brands – Our Review Factors
Ice cream sandwiches usually comprise of a thick block of vanilla ice cream and two large chocolate biscuits. The biscuit-ice cream flavor combination can get as creative or as basic as the brand wants.
To review ice cream sandwiches we set the following parameters –
What is the flavor of the biscuit? What ice cream flavor is used? Do they pair well with each other?
This also included another aspect – ratio. Is the ratio of the chocolate biscuit to vanilla ice cream balanced? Too much ice cream and thin, wafery biscuits or vice versa?
How is the flavor of chocolate biscuits and ice cream? How prominent or diluted is the flavor of vanilla and chocolate. Is the sweetness balanced or not?
Creaminess is a vital parameter to gauge ice creams. Creaminess refers to the overall mouth-feel that coats your palate after eating a milk-based ice cream. We wanted to check the ice cream part for its creaminess to see if it tastes smooth and rich or icy and grainy.
4. Texture Of The Biscuit
The biscuits in an ice cream sandwich are not crisp or wafery. They are relatively thick, soft and almost cakey. Did the ice cream sandwich brand nail the texture of the biscuit?
How well are the ice creams packaged? Do they come in a tray, carton or are they directly packed in a wrapper?
Is the ice cream sandwich value for money? If not, why? Does the list of ingredients justify the pricing?
7. Handling And Delivery
Ice Cream Sandwich Brands in India – Detailed Review
Here is a comparison table of all the ice cream sandwich brands we reviewed. This table compares the ice cream sandwich brands in India for their price, net weight, shelf life and calories.
|Brands||Vadilal||Mother Dairy||Havmor||Kwality Walls|
|Price||Rs 25/-||Rs 25/-||Rs 30/-||Rs 30/-|
|Quantity||80 ml||60 gms||100 ml||80 ml|
|Shelf Life||12 months||6 months||12 months||12 months|
|Calories||199 Kcal per 100 ml||294 Kcal per 100 gms||280.2 Kcal per 100 gms||168 Kcal per serve (52 gms)|
1. Vadilal Ice Cream Sandwich Vanilla – Mishry Top Pick
Vadilal Ice Cream Sandwich is priced at Rs 25/- for an 80 ml pack. It comes inside a carton and is further wrapped in a plastic wrapper.
The chocolate flavored biscuits are very soft and cakey. They aren’t dry or crumbly. The perforations on the biscuits are the largest amongst all the contenders. The sweet flavor of vanilla is delicious. Overall, the combination of creamy vanilla ice cream and the cakey biscuits is marvellous.
Very often, when two sweet components are put together in a dessert, the sugar levels can become overbearing. That wasn’t the case here. We liked the fine balance of sweetness in both the elements. The ratio of the biscuit and ice cream is perfect.
All the components of Vadilal’s Ice Cream Sandwich come together beautifully and provide the best overall experience.
- The Vadilal Ice Cream Sandwich is priced at rs 25/- for 80 ml.
- Shelf life – 12 months.
- Flavor combination- Vanilla ice cream and chocolate biscuit
- Ingredients (Ice Cream: 56%) – Milk solids, Sugar, Emulsifier and stabilisers. Contains artificial vanilla flavoring substances.
- Ingredients (Biscuit: 44%) – Wheat flour, Sugar, Edible vegetable oil, Cocoa solids, Milk solids, Edible common salt, Raising agents, Emulsifier, Antioxidant. Contains permitted natural colors and added artificial vanilla and chocolate flavoring substances.
- We liked the texture of the biscuits. They are soft and cakey.
- The creamy vanilla ice cream is delicious.
- We liked the balanced sweetness of the ice cream sandwich.
- The ice cream is made using milk solids.
- The base of the biscuit is made using wheat flour as opposed to popularly used refined flour.
Best Suited For
If you’re looking for an ice cream sandwich with a creamy vanilla ice cream and a cakey biscuit, this product is for you.
2. Havmor Sandwich Ice Cream – Also Recommended
Havmor’s Ice Cream Sandwich is priced at Rs 30/- for 100 ml. The Havmor Ice Cream Sandwich has a chocolate flavored biscuit and a thick block of vanilla ice cream.
The ice cream is very milky and creamy. Like our Top Pick, Havmor’s ice cream sandwich also had a balanced sweetness.
The element which lagged a little was the whole wheat biscuit. It wasn’t as cakey as our winner. The texture of the biscuit didn’t compliment the ice cream like it did in our Top Pick, which is why it did not win our review. Other than that, the creaminess of ice cream, and the balanced sweetness were on point.
- The Havmor Ice Cream Sandwich is priced at Rs 30/- for 100 ml.
- Shelf life – 12 months.
- Flavor combination- Vanilla ice cream and chocolate biscuit.
- Ingredients (Ice cream: 57%) – Water, Milk solids, Sugar, Permitted emulsifier and Stabilisers.
- Contains added artificial vanilla flavor.
- Ingredients (Biscuit: 43%) – Wheat flour, Sugar, Edible vegetable oil, Cocoa solids, Milk solids, Raising agents, Emulsifier and Antioxidant.
- The ice cream is very creamy and milky.
- The sweetness is balanced.
- The ice cream is primarily made using milk solids and the biscuit is made using whole wheat.
- The texture of the biscuit needs some improvement.
3. Mother Dairy Ice Cream Sandwich
Mother Dairy’s Ice Cream Sandwich is priced at Rs 25/- for 60 grams. This brand of ice cream sandwich has a chocolate biscuit and a plain vanilla ice cream.
The biscuit has a cakey texture with a rich chocolate flavor. The ice cream is creamy but overly sweet. The thickness of the biscuit is very uneven, which makes the ‘bite’ uneven as well. Owing to the unbalanced sweetness and uneven thickness of the biscuit, Mother Dairy’s ice cream sandwich could not win.
- The Mother Dairy Ice Cream Sandwich is priced at Rs 25/- for 60 gm.
- Shelf life – 6 months.
- Flavor combination- Vanilla ice cream and chocolate biscuit.
- Ingredients (Ice cream) – Water, Milk solids, Sugar, Permitted emulsifier and Stabilisers.
- Ingredients (Biscuit) – Refined wheat flour, Sugar, Refined palm oil, Cocoa powder, Iodised salt, Emulsifier and raising agents.
- The vanilla ice cream is creamy.
- The thickness of the biscuit is uneven.
- The ice cream is very sweet.
4. Kwality Walls Ice Cream Sandwich Chocolate & Vanilla
Kwality Walls Ice Cream Sandwich was the most different in comparison to the other brands. Unlike the other variants, this ice cream sandwich has a light colored, vanilla flavored biscuit with no perforations. The biscuit is thin and moist, but is very dense and it feels like we are biting into uncooked cake batter. Flavor-wise, the biscuit doesn’t stand out.
The ice cream in between is not single flavored. There are two equal blocks of ice creams inside – vanilla and chocolate. This half and half ice cream combination, although very interesting, is not as creamy as our winner. If we had to choose the ‘better half’, the chocolate part tastes better.
- The Kwality Walls Ice Cream Sandwich is priced at Rs 30/- for 80 ml.
- Shelf life – 12 months.
- Flavor combination- Vanilla biscuit and chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
- Ingredients – Refined wheat flour, Sugar, Edible vegetable oil, Milk solids, Iodised salt, Emulsifier, Malt extract and Leaving agents. Contains permitted natural and synthetic food colors and added flavors. Artificial vanilla, Milk and Malt flavoring substances, Water Sugar, palm oil, Milk solids, Cocoa solids, Liquid glucose, Emulsifier, Vegetable protein (soy), Stabilisers.
- The chocolate flavor and vanilla biscuit combination is better.
- The biscuit is not flavorful.
- The biscuit is dense and tastes undercooked.
- The ice creams are not as creamy as our Top Pick.
Our Top Picks & Recommendations
Why did we choose Vadilal Ice Cream Sandwich as our Top Pick?
An ideal ice cream sandwich needs to have two things – a thick block of creamy ice cream and two soft, cakey biscuits.
Vadilal’s ice cream sandwich provided us with the best overall experience, which is why we chose it as our Top Pick. The balanced sweetness and ratio of biscuit and ice cream also helped us decide the winner of this review. Definitely a value for money buy in the ice cream sandwich section!
Why do we also recommend Havmor Ice Cream Sandwich?
Havmor’s Ice Cream Sandwich has a creamy ice cream with balanced sweetness levels. The texture of the biscuit requires a little work, but other than that we liked the creaminess of the ice cream. The ratio of ice cream and biscuit is good as well.
Our winner and recommendation, both use wheat flour to make the biscuits.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on ice cream sandwich brands.
1. Why do ice cream sandwiches have holes?
During the baking process, these small perforations are made so that the biscuit does not bubble up and rise. This process is also done while baking pies or making crackers.
2. Do ice cream sandwiches make you fat?
Ice cream sandwiches are primarily made using dairy fat, vegetable fat, and sugar. Keeping the calorie count in mind, it is not recommended to consume this in excess. It is advised to consume this in moderation.
3. Who invented ice cream sandwiches?
Ice Cream Sandwiches are believed to have been invented by a pushcart salesman in New York City in 1899.
4. What is the best ice cream sandwich brand?
As per our review, Vadilal is the best ice cream sandwich brand. It was the tastiest ice cream sandwich with the creamiest ice cream and cake-like biscuits.
Final Verdict – Ice Cream Sandwich Brands In India
Vadilal’s Ice Cream Sandwich was not only the creamiest, but also had the best biscuit to ice cream ratio. The chocolate biscuit and the vanilla ice cream are flavorful and have a balanced sweetness. Creamy ice cream, cakey biscuits, and balanced sweetness. Vadilal is our Top Pick because it provided us with the best overall experience of eating an ice cream sandwich.
We also recommend Havmor’s Ice Cream Sandwich.
Do you like ice cream sandwiches? Which is your favorite ice cream sandwich brand in India? Let us know in the comment section below.
More Reviews Related To Ice Cream Sandwiches
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.