Diwali Grocery Shopping List to Make Your Diwali Delightful
Keep your Diwali grocery shopping list in check to ensure a fuss-free festive week. With our curated list of grocery items, be rest assured.
Diwali, also known as Deepavali, is a festival of lights celebrated over five days. It’s all about good food, colorful lights, rangolis, playing cards, performing Laxmi pooja and brightening the home with diyas.
The onset of Diwali marks the preparations of sweets and savory snacks at home. Common sweets and snacks prepared include karanji, murukku, besan barfi, kaju katli, poha chivda, and others. If you are someone who prepares a lot of Diwali sweets and snacks at home, preparing a checklist of the required Diwali grocery items is a must.
With Diwali celebrations beginning in the first week of November, it is best to stock up on Diwali grocery essentials for easy preparation of sweets and snacks at home. We curated a list of essentials that deserve a space on your Diwali grocery shopping list. Say bye-bye to last minute market runs.
Right from sugar to poha, there are multiple items that are included in the Diwali grocery shopping list. We have a complete list of grocery items that you need to prepare for yourself the upcoming festivities. Here is what you should add to cart –
Poha chivda is a popular Maharashtrian snack item that is eaten during Diwali. Essentially, a mix of thin poha, urad dal, dry fruits, spices and curry leaves, it is a common roasted snack prepared at home for Diwali. It is quick and easy to prepare and can be enjoyed as snacks during a card-party or as a tea-time snack.
- It is quick to prepare
- Poha chivda is a healthy snack option
- Ideal for serving to your guests during Diwali party
2. Raw Peanuts
Raw peanuts are a must-have Diwali grocery item. From adding in chivda to preparing homemade chikki, raw peanuts are a rich source of protein. You can also prepare masala peanuts using raw peanuts which is easy to prepare and great for munching.
- Filled with protein, these are a guilt-free snack to snack.
- Multiple recipes can be prepared using peanuts including chikki, ladoo, masala peanuts, and others.
- Most importantly, it is a vital ingredient to add in homemade chivdas that adds a crunch to the overall dish.
The use of maida in homemade dishes is underrated. Diwali is an occasion where snacking is a common activity. A variety of snacks are prepared using maida including samosa, karanji, shankarpali, chakli, kachori and murukku. For lip-smacking Diwali recipes, the inclusion of maida is a must.
- Essential for preparing multiple snacks during Diwali
- It is a common ingredient to prepare sweets and savory snacks during special occasions.
- Adds a crunchy and crispy texture. Overall enhances the flavor of any dish.
Diwali is incomplete without the inclusion of dry fruits. One of the most common ingredients that is a part of any occasion is almonds. Rich in nutrients, almonds add a nutty flavor to homemade sweets. From almonds barfi to honey roasted almonds, these make up for an essential item in your Diwali grocery list.
- Almonds add a nutty flavor and texture to Diwali sweets.
- You can also present almonds as a gift to your guests during the Diwali party.
- Numerous recipes using almonds can be prepared such as badam kheer, badam halwa, and badam barfi.
The festival of Diwali is incomplete without the inclusion of cashew based sweets. Kaju katli, kaju barfi, kaju rolls, chocolate kaju barfi are a few recipes which you can make at home using cashews.
- You can serve cashews along with some raisins as a snack during Diwali.
- Kaju katli is the most popular sweet prepared during Diwali.
- Roast them in ghee and sprinkle some salt for that satisfactory snack.
Who does not love dates? Popularly known as khajur, these naturally sweet dry fruits make it an ideal alternative for sugar. If you do not prefer adding sugar to your homemade sweets, dates are a must have item on your grocery list. Dates halwa is a popular and healthy recipe prepared during festive occasions.
- There are multiple recipes prepared using dates – dates halwa, dates roll, khajur ki mithai.
- Dates are an ideal alternative for preparing sugar-free sweets.
If you have a lot of friends and relatives visiting your house this Diwali, preparing some delicious sweets for quick serving is essential. Prepare yummy and easy sweet recipes using walnuts that taste delicious like a chocolate, coconut and walnut fudge.
- Makes for an healthy and nutritious inclusion in sweets.
- It is perfect for preparing both sweet and savory food items.
- Ideal for munching during card parties or serving as a snack to your guests.
- You can add this to your homemade trail mix too.
Pistachios are nuts that are healthy and come with numerous benefits. These nuts when added to sweet dishes add a delectable, almost savory taste and crunchy texture. Adding powdered pistachios will give a beautiful, vibrant green color to your homemade sweets.
- Unshelled pistachios adds a crunchy texture to homemade sweets
- It is ideal for preparing different sweets such as pista roll, pistka barfi, kesar pista barfi, pistachio nut fudge and many others.
9. Gulab Jamun Mix
It is hard to say no to soft ball-sized gulab jamun filled with a delectable sugar syrup. Traditionally made using khoya, it is a must-have sweet treat during Diwali. If you have a hard time getting the right texture at home, grab a pack of gulab jamun mix for easy preparation. You can also serve gulab jamun with some vanilla ice cream for that perfect finish to a celebratory meal.
- Saves time in preparing gulab jamun from scratch.
- A traditional mithai had during festive seasons.
To give an authentic taste to your homemade sweets, the inclusion of ghee is a must. Ghee adds a touch of traditional flavor to sweets and amps up the taste level. Stocking up on ghee during the festive season will help you avoid last minute running.
- Adds a delicious flavor to homemade sweets.
- It is a must-have for lighting diyas during Diwali.
- Aids in proper digestion of food and is rich in healthy fats.
Sugar is the most essential item that must be a part of your Diwali grocery list. If you prepare a lot of sweets during Diwali, having sufficient quantity of sugar stocked in your kitchen is a must. It is best to buy these well in advance to enable smooth preparation of Diwali sweets.
- It is a must-have ingredient for easy preparation of Indian sweets at home.
- Adds an authentic taste and flavor to Indian sweets
12. Jaggery Powder
Jaggery powder is another commonly used sweetener for preparing homemade Diwali sweets. Various sweet dishes are prepared using jaggery powder including puran poli, gur ki chikki and gulgule. If you do not prefer using white sugar, jaggery powder is an ideal alternative that you can use.
- Ideal alternative to regular white sugar.
- Loaded with antioxidants and minerals.
13. Condensed Milk
Condensed milk is a popular ingredient that finds its way in many homemade sweets and desserts. It adds a rich and delicious flavor to festive sweets prepared during Diwali.
- It has a long shelf life and low level of moisture compared to regular milk.
- It has a thick and creamy texture that works very well in Indian sweets and desserts.
- Condensed milk helps reducing the cooking time of any recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Diwali Grocery Shopping List.
1. What should I put on my Diwali shopping list?
Your Diwali shopping list should include all those items that you require to prepare for the festival in advance. Lights, sweets, gifts, diyas, ghee, and lanterns are a few items that you can include in your Diwali shopping list.
2. When should I do my Diwali grocery shopping?
You should start with your Diwali grocery shopping right after the end of Navratri. You can also start to shop 10-15 days before Diwali commences.
3. Can I get all the above-mentioned groceries online?
Yes, the entire list mentioned above is available on online portals such as Amazon.
4. What are some of the useful tips for Diwali grocery shopping?
Here are some useful tips before you start with your Diwali grocery shopping :
- Make a list of essential grocery items that you require during Diwali.
- It is always better to prepare well in advance to avoid any last minute rush.
- Prepare an estimated budget amount that you are likely to spend on Diwali grocery shopping.
- Consider adding a few new items in your Diwali grocery shopping list.
Keeping your essentials stocked up will help you plan your Diwali better and in a hassle-free manner. Our list of essentials will help you shop for Diwali groceries in a more planned manner.
Keep your grocery list in check and have an enlightened Happy Diwali.