Meal Of The Moment (MOM) Instant Sambar Rice: #FirstImpressions
M.O.M’s Instant Sambar Rice is made using essential south-Indian masalas. It contains rice, toor dal, chana dal, and all the other required ingredients for an authentic south-Indian meal.
An instant meal is what everyone is talking about right now, and if you are craving for a South-Indian taste, then you may have considered trying out the new Sambar Rice by M.O.M (Meal of the Moment). The instant sambar rice claims to satisfy your hunger in an appetizing way. As the demand for these instant meals increases, more and more manufacturers are coming out with numerous tasteful treats for their consumers, and Meal Of The Moment or M.O.M is right in the midst of this trend with its range of instant traditional Indian meals. We try out M.O.M’s ready to eat Sambar Rice for a taste test in our #FirstImpressions series.
Salient Features Of M.O.M’s Instant Sambar Rice
- *as mentioned in the packaging.
- It is made using essential south-Indian masalas.
- It contains rice, toor dal, chana dal, and all the other required ingredients for an authentic south-Indian meal.
- It is a 100%vegetarian product.
- It contains no preservatives. No artificial flavors.
- The product does not use palm oil – a mix of rice bran and refined soybean is what is used.
MOM’s Sambar Rice is an unusual choice for a ready-to-eat product, given that most ready to eta products are north-Indian gravy style dishes.
MRP- Rs 60 x 3*
*Price at the time of review
Instructions For Preperation Of MOM’s Instant Sambar Rice
- Cut the pouch and pour its content into a cup.
- Add water till the indication level and mix well.
- Close the lid for 8 minutes (as indicated in the packaging).
- Mix well and enjoy it.
#FirstImpressions Of MOM’s Instant Sambar Rice
Does MOM’s Instant Sambar Rice taste like homemade, authentic sambar-rice? No, it doesn’t. Does it taste better than many sambar-rice dishes available in some cafés and restaurants? Yes, it does.
A rehydrated meal, out of a box can never taste like freshly prepared food, so that comparison would be unfair. On its own, MOM’s Instant Sambar Rice is a reasonably tasty dish. What we missed, is the signature tanginess of sambar that comes from tamarind, or any souring agent.
The good news is that MOM’s Instant Sambar Rice does not contain added preservatives and artificial flavors.
There are lots of chopped veggies used in the sambar and the distinct flavor of curry leaves and rai (black mustard leaved) is unmissable. It is medium spicy and is best enjoyed hot.