GM Diet | How To Follow The General Motors Diet For Healthy Weight Loss
The GM diet plan is a popular diet plan that focusses on quick weight loss by restricting foods and advocating specific foods to be consumed only during the 7-day strict regimen. People are known to have lost up to 4-5 kgs in just a week if followed strictly. This list of Do’s and Dont’s makes following GM Diet easier.
GM Diet, also known as the General Motors diet, is a diet plan that promises to help you shed that extra weight from your body in just a week. The results of the General Motors diet vary from person to person. Each day of the GM diet allows you to eat different foods to keep you full and boost quick weight loss. It is believed to be effective, and it claims to stimulate rapid weight loss and burn fat faster than any other diet plan. People follow GM Diet around the world, and believers say that this one-week (7 days) diet plan helps them lose and manage weight goals. Others find this diet extreme and challenging to follow. The truth is, the GM diet can be difficult for those who have never been on a nutrient-restrictive diet. Experts also feel that a diet like GM Diet should not be done repeatedly. While it can be followed on occasion, with ample time between two sessions, repeating this as a routine could deprive you of crucial nutrients in the long term.
Benefits Of The GM Diet
Surely when we take into account its ability to cut-down weight, the benefits associated with the GM diet are quite extraordinary. Here are some of those:
- Following a GM diet helps you cut down on your processed sugar consumption, thus is naturally lowers your body’s blood glucose level and may also help in the prevention of diabetes.
- The higher intake of vegetables and fruits can help in filling up your body with antioxidants and decrease the concentration of free-radicals. Increased antioxidants may result in a great skin texture along with a delay in the occurrence of age-related concerns.
- The other common benefit of GM diet includes a healthy metabolism due to the consumption of high-fiber foods.
- Weight loss is one of its benefits that is officially linked with GM diet’s incorporation, for it is but one thing that fiber-rich and low-fat diets are known for. This seven-day extreme diet aims at getting you in shape by making you eat a set of pre-determined foods, all of which will substitute the unhealthy nutrients with the healthy ones.
What The 7-Days Of This Diet Contains?
As mentioned, the GM diet is a 7-days extreme and strict diet that intends to restrict you from eating any food that’ll make you gain weight. Mostly the food items included in this diet are low-calorie or negative-calorie and foods that are high in fiber.
Let’s take a look at how one can effectively plan out each of these seven days to attain the maximum output from the GM diet:
Day 1 Of GM Diet
The first day of the GM diet is reserved for detoxification. Make sure that you eat a lot of fruits that have high-water concentration, and avoid bananas. Furthermore, increase your intake of water to 7-11 glasses per day, for detoxification is a vital component of the GM diet and must be taken care of in each of the seven days.
Day 2 of GM Diet
Though it’s not time to rejoice yet, the second day can be easier than Day 1 for some. Today you can include low-fat vegetables into your diet along with a single starchy potato that is recommended by experts to be consumed for breakfast. Avoid fruits, or any high-protein food items such as eggs, meat, or legumes, and make sure that most of your meals are based around a low-fat diet filled with just the veggies.
Day 3 of GM Diet
Being a mixture of the first two days, the third day of the GM diet consists of both fruits and vegetables as a part of your diet. It is also essential that you continue your body’s detoxification drinking enough water through the day, and make sure that you avoid all kinds of high-protein food items.
Day 4 of GM Diet (Half-way Down!)
Day 4 is the half-way mark of your body’s extreme makeover. This day also contains the most extreme dieting routine, as you are just allowed to have milk (up to four glasses), and 6-8 bananas.
Day 5 of GM Diet
Well, this is the day to rejoice, for, on the fifth day of your diet, you can add a few grains (gluten-free) into our diet. Some of these include the likes of brown rice and quinoa. Furthermore, food items that are loaded with lean proteins such as chicken, fish, and curd, can also be a part of your meal, making sure that it is full of taste just like before.
Day 6 of GM Diet
On this day, you can go crazy with your meal, for whatever restrictions you had on the five days before can easily be lifted on the sixth day. Gluten-free grains, lean-protein loaded meat, vegetables, fruits, and dairy, there is just no stopping the number of meals that you can have combining
Day 7 of GM Diet – The Last Day
The restrictions still apply for the last day; make sure that you avoid any protein-rich items such as legumes or meat. On the other hand, vegetables, gluten-free grains, and fruits with high water content can all be a part of your meal plan for the day.
The Demerits Of The GM Diet
Everything has its merits and demerits, and the GM diet is not an exception to this rule. If not appropriately followed, an extreme weight loss diet can do more bad than good, thus making it equally important for you to learn about its side-effects before trying it out.
Some of the side effects associated with GM diet include:
- Following an extreme diet such as this one tends to make your body undergo a sudden makeover, which can lead to many health concerns such as fatigue and weakness. Adequate consumption of water would thus help in the prevention of dehydration apart from detoxifying your body.
- Further restrictions on food items may lead to the lack of motivation amongst the dieters, making it hard for one to follow a monotonous diet such as this one.
- Reports of dry skin and headaches are quite common during the first few days of this diet.
Related Reading: We review products over days, and sometimes weeks, so you can shop better. Read our Best Green Tea Bags For Everyday Drinking
A Perfect GM Diet Plan
Day 1 Eating Plan For GM Diet:
The first day, which is reserved only for fruits, must contain at least six meals (though all they are light). Each meal, namely breakfast, lunch, dinner, and the two snacks in-between the three main meals along with one after the dinner, would only consist of one fruit. Here is one example of how:
- Breakfast: Orange (one) along with one glass of water.
- Lunch: A single bowl of berries along with one glass of water.
- Dinner: An apple with two glasses of water.
- Snacks (Breakfast-lunch): A slice of watermelon with one glass of water.
- Snacks (Lunch-dinner): ½ grapefruit with one glass of water.
- Snacks (after dinner): 1 pear along with 1 glass of water.
Day 2 Eating Plan For GM Diet:
The second day, unlike the first, is solely reserved for veggies and has a somewhat same meal-structure.
- Breakfast: 1 boiled potato along with one glass of water.
- Lunch: Vegetable salad along with two glasses of water.
- Dinner: Beans, carrots, broccoli along with two glasses of water.
- Snacks (breakfast-lunch): 1 boiled broccoli along with one glass of water.
- Snacks (lunch-dinner): 1 bowl of leafy greens along with two glasses of water.
- Meals (after dinner): 1 bowl of cabbage with one glass of water.
Day 3 Eating Plan For GM Diet:
Day 3 is a combination of day 1 and 2.
With the same meal-structure, the third day of the GM diet contains both fruits and veggies in the mix.
- Breakfast: 1 apple along with two glasses of water.
- Lunch: Vegetable salad along with two glasses of water.
- Dinner: Any green boiled vegetables along with two glasses of water.
- Snacks (breakfast-lunch): Sliced pineapples along with one glass of water.
- Snacks (lunch-dinner): 1 orang with one glass of water.
- Snacks (after dinner): 1 guava.
Day 4 Eating Plan For GM Diet:
Congratulations! You are nearly there! This half-point of the GM diet has by-far the most extreme meal-structure compared to any other day:
- Breakfast: 2 bananas along with one glass of milk.
- Lunch: Vegetable soup made out of cabbage and onion.
- Dinner: 2 bananas and one glass of water.
- Snacks (breakfast-lunch): Banana shake made out of 1 banana and one glass of water.
- Snacks (lunch-dinner): Banana shake, just like the morning snack.
Day 5 Eating Plan For GM Diet:
Day 5 is a festival day for you, as you can have a tasty meal.
The day that every other dieter is waiting for, especially the ones who are following the GM diet, for the fifth day includes the addition of gluten-free grains and other options that produce a tasty meal.
- Breakfast: Bowl of seasoned kidney beans along with two glasses of water.
- Lunch: Meal prepared from brown rice, tomatoes, and cottage cheese along with two glasses of water.
- Dinner: Curry made from soy and tomato salad along with two glasses of water.
- Snacks (breakfast-lunch): 1 cup of curd with two glasses of water.
- Snacks (lunch-dinner): sprout salad along with one glass of water.
Day 6 Eating Plan For GM Diet:
Day 6 is a little different from day 5. You will be eating sprouts, cottage cheese, and other vegetables but by excluding tomatoes.
- From the sixth day, most of the restrictions begin to go away, and thus, the meal plan for the sixth day ends up being more flexible and full of options.
- Breakfast: Boiled or spiced vegetables along with two glasses of water.
- Lunch: Properly cooked brown rice meal (or boiled chicken) along with one glass of water.
- Dinner: Mixed vegetable (or baked fish) with one glass of water.
- Snacks – Breakfast and lunch: 1 bowl of spiced kidney beans with one glass of water.
- Snacks – Lunch-dinner: 1 apple along with one glass of water.
Day 7 Eating Plan For GM Diet:
The last and final day of the diet plan.
The final day of the diet has no restrictions at all, but it is advisable for you to avoid high-fat and protein-rich food.
• Breakfast: 1 bowl of melon along with one glass of water.
• Lunch: A bowl of lightly sauteed vegetables along with one glass of water.
• Dinner: Mixed vegetable soup with two glasses of water.
And as for the snacks:
• Snacks (breakfast-lunch): Fresh berries along with one glass of water.
• Snacks (lunch-dinner): 1 orange along with two glasses of water.
To gain the benefits from this diet, one has to prepare to be tough as it may prove overwhelming for the first time because of the significant change in the diet. Hence, proper medical monitoring and regular consultation with the physician is required while following the GM diet plan. Moreover, it is not a long-term solution as this plan cannot be followed for prolonged durations.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here’s a list of interesting FAQs about General Motors diet.
1. Is coffee allowed in GM diet?
Coffee is allowed in this diet provided it is without milk and sugar. Black coffee and green tea are allowed in the GM diet as long as you do not add a sweetener to them.
2. Which vegetables are good for weight loss?
Some vegetables that are excellent for weight loss are spinach, cauliflower, carrots, beans, asparagus, kale, broccoli and mushrooms.
3. Is GM diet harmful?
The GM diet lacks a lot of important nutrients which are essential for human health. It can lead to severe weakness, fatigue, headaches and even muscle weakness. This is a short term weight loss diet plan and in no way should this be continued for longer durations.
Disclaimer – This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information before making any dietary changes.