The Best Gin Brands In India
Gin and tonic is fast becoming the go-to drink for a lot of people. Here is a list of the best gin brands in India
Ah yes, nothing hits the spot like a good glass of gin. Gin has been a drink that people have enjoyed for several decades. Gin is now becoming popular in India. Due to its complex flavors it is mostly mixed with drinks or used in cocktails. As Indians increasingly adapt to Western lifestyles, many Indians wonder what the best gin brands in India are.
Are you a Gin lover? We listed the top 10 popular and widely loved gin brands in India. This article will attempt to provide answers about best gin brands in India with price.
Best Gin Brands in India
Indian gin brands are increasingly becoming popular and here are some of the most popular gin brands in India –
#1 Bombay Sapphire
Bombay Sapphire is amongst the best gin brands in India. What makes this Indian gin so popular is the fact that it is affordable. Bombay Sapphire’s price is very reasonable and one bottle costs Rs 2,600/-. But price alone does not make Bombay Sapphire one of the best gin brands in India.
Its smooth taste is what makes this gin so irresistible for Indians. What gives it a pleasant and unique taste is its ingredients. They are all plant and flower-based. This delectable gin alcohol is made from 10 different types of flowers and plants. Because it contains such a diverse range of natural ingredients, it can be considered global gin liquor.
Some of that plants and nut species that play a major role in contributing to its amazingly pleasant taste and smooth texture include juniper, lemon strip, coriander, angelica root, orris, grains of paradise, cubeb berries, cassia bark, almonds, and licorice.
The manufacturers of Bombay Sapphire produce their unique and notable taste and texture by distilling it differently. They use a vapor infusion cycle. This process traps the succulent smells and flavors of its main ingredients and slowly releases them as the gin is distilled. The international alcohol major Bacardi introduced this gin to the Indian market in 1987.
If you were wondering why many Indians are so crazy about this famous and smooth gin brand, the following characteristics offer a good explanation:
- It has a pleasantly smooth taste.
- It’s made from natural ingredients that are organic and grown under fair trade and farming conditions.
- It is a great base to use when making a delicious and top quality martini
- This is a dry gin.
- It has high proof. It’s 20 proof making its gin liquor content approximately 40%.
These are some of the many reasons why Bombay Sapphire is considered to be among one of the best gin brands in India.
The gin prices in India can vary a lot from pocket friendly to extremely high. However, it does not have the highest gin alcohol price in India. Its gin price in Mumbai is even higher. However, the following traits make it among the best gin brands in India. It can be considered to be one of the best gin in India at a price. It’s made from nine different high-quality plants and flowers.
The Botanist is made through a distinct distilling process like its competitor Bombay Sapphire. However, the similarities end there. The Botanist is made by boiling the plants and flowers. The vapors and essences are released as bubbles. These bubbles are then captured and converted into vapors. The manufacturers of this Indian gin infuse the vapors into the gin in the form of bubbles. This last step in the distillation process makes it among the best gin brands in India.
Some of the reasons why Indians are willing to pay slightly higher gin prices for this brand include –
- The dominant and primary note is a pleasant citrus flavor.
- It has a dry texture.
- It’s 23 proof. This means that it’s 46% alcohol by volume.
- The Bruichladdich Distillery makes and manufactures this gin in India
- Its connoisseurs love its distinct and robust herb and floral flavors, undertones, and notes.
This is one of the best gin brands in India. It’s also one of the more interesting gin brands in India. What sets it apart is its relatively high gin alcohol percentage, which is 43%. This means it’s approximately 21.5 proof. The price of this gin is relatively reasonable at 2,600 Indian rupees. It’s important to note that it’s in the middle of the price spectrum for many brands of gin in India.
However, what makes it stand out and what makes it among one of the best gin brands in India is its distinct qualities and characteristics. All of its many natural ingredients are organic and grown using fair trade and farming techniques for starters. Some of its main ingredients include Himalayan Juniper, Haldi, mangoes, ginger root, cardamom, coriander seeds, gondhoraj limes, and almonds grown in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
Many of its main ingredients are also grown in and sourced from Goa and Kolkata. If you ever quaff this gin brand, you’ll be greeted by the intense flavor of Juniper. This is what gives this Indian gin a different and pleasant taste and flavor. Hapusa is a dry gin.
The following characteristics make it stand in a class of its own among the Brand names of Gin in India:
- Its manufacturers were pioneers in the Indian gin market. They were the first to make and distill a gin whose main ingredient is Juniper.
- This Indian gin brand has a dry taste. However, this is more than balanced by its pleasant and delicious flavor.
- The Hapusa is made, distilled, and distributed entirely and only in India.
- When you drink it, the first flavors that will greet your palate will be lime and coriander. This gives it a distinctly tart taste that is more than balanced by subtle and rich Earthy flavors.
This gin stands in a class of its own. It’s not just one of the best gin brands in India. It happens to be among the creme de la creme of gin brand names both in India and internationally.
This tantalising gin first appeared in England a few centuries ago. It made its way to Scottish shores shortly afterward. The company that produces distills, and distributes this gin is surprisingly tight-lipped about its ingredients and distillation process. It’s almost as if they feel that the Tanqueray would lose its sublime taste and position in the Indian gin market as being the ‘king of gins!’ In any case, it has four main ingredients which include: Juniper, Coriander, Angelica root and Licorice.
If you drink this gin, you’ll be pleasantly surprised when the first thing you taste is the sweet yet earthy flavors of Juniper. This is contrasted by subtle flavors of citrus and sweet flowers.
The following features have ensured that it has retained its position as being one of the best gin brands in India for several decades:
- It was the most popular of Indian gin brand names in 2016. Not surprisingly, its distillers were able to sell many bottles that year.
- It’s 21.75 proof. This makes its alcohol content approximately 43.1%
- You’ll really enjoy this gin if you drink it with sparkling mineral water that’s garnished with a few lime slices
- Its distillers distill it twice. This is what gives it its distinct, and unique taste.
What makes it among one of the best gin brands in India? Well, it’s great taste and amazing texture combined with its amazingly low price does. If you shop in Indian liquor stores, you’ll find that this Indian gin will only set you back one thousand four hundred Indian rupees.
This delectable gin earns its distinction of being one of the most popular gin alcoholic brands in India because of its distillation process. Its manufacturers do it differently in terms of distillation. What they do is distill two different strong brands of gin. They then combine these two brands, and the result is a strong gin that won’t let you down and satisfies both the palate and gut. It’s made by Bennett still.
The manufacturers let grain ferment in this still. They then enhance its natural flavors and dramatically increase its alcohol content by distilling it in this still. But the distillation process doesn’t stop there. The resulting grain liquor is then given volume when sparkling water is added to it. This also gives it a certain oomph and excitement factor. The mixture is left to ferment for another 24 hours. It’s refined into a delicious and robust gin the next day. This refined liquor is then combined with strong liquor that has also been distilled and purified. The latter liquor uses infusing flowers and spice flavors into the alcohol through a vapor bubbling process.
The liquor’s resulting blend is distilled to produce a gin that will give you an exciting and unforgettable drinking experience. Interestingly enough, you’ll be greeted by the noticeable and pleasant flavors of rose and cucumbers when you consume this gin. The rose flavor will tease your taste buds. The cucumber flavor will refresh your palate and leave them wanting more of the gin.
However, the following makes it one of the most sought after Gin in India:
- Its two dominant flavors and the pleasant and pleasing rose and cucumber.
- It earned the title of being the ‘world’s best gin’ in 2003.
- It’s a combination of two different types of distinct alcohols. Both of these have been distilled using complex processes with many steps. This combination of liquors and these distillation processes gives it a unique flavor that sets it in a class of its own in Indian gins.
- It’s 22 proof. This means it’s 44% alcohol by volume. This puts it in the hard liquor category.
- If you want to enjoy its true essence and bring out its real flavors, put cucumber slices into your glass before you pour yourself a glass of Hendricks gin.
- It’s made using eleven different plants and flowers.
#6 Greater Than
This stands in a league of its own, even compared to the best gin brands in India. This is a unique Indian gin brand because it’s the only gin in the world that’s made exclusively in India. It’s also sold only in the Indian gin market. When you drink this gin, you’ll notice that it’s an exciting blend of nine different plants, flowers, and herbs. This unique blend of ingredients makes it taste like a blend of oranges, lemons, and limes. This also gives it a delightful flavor and gives it a real personality among the many Indian gin brands.
Many of its hard-core fans consider it to be among the best gin brands in India. It’s primary and main ingredients include the Juniper plant, the coriander spice, the angelica, orris, ginger root, lemongrass and fennel herbs and spices, the chamomile flower, and the peels of the orange citrus fruit. Greater Than happens is pocket friendly and is priced at Rs 1,450/- approximately.
You’ll really enjoy this gin if you serve it with Perrier or some other type of quality sparkling mineral water. This is because the sparkling water will bring out its predominant and strong citrus taste and flavor.
The following are the reasons why Indians simply can’t get enough of this Indian gin:
- It’s 21.4 proof. This makes its alcohol content approximately 42.8%.
- It’s made entirely in India and marketed exclusively for the Indian gin market.
- It’s the only London dry gin that’s made and distilled in India.
- It has a pleasant and strong taste of oranges, lemons, and limes.
- For best results, drink it by mixing it with Perrier or some other excellent sparkling mineral water brand.
#7 Jaisalmer Indian Craft Gin
This is an expensive gin. If you were to buy this Indian gin in a liquor store in India, you’d be shelling out 3,500 Indian rupees. But then they say that you get what you pay for. The following makes it one of the best gin brands in India.
It’s made, distilled, and distributed by Radico Khaitan. This is a distillery that’s located in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan.It’s made partially from fermented and distilled grains.
This is what gives it a noticeably rich and earthy taste, flavor, and texture.It’s known for its refreshing and revitalising flavor. Its main ingredient is Juniper, which is the first thing you’ll taste when you drink it.
Some of the characteristics are –
- This gin is made from 11 different quality and natural herbs, plants, spices, and flowers.
- What you’ll be drinking is a mixture of coriander seeds, velvetier, sweet orange strips, lemongrass, Darjeeling tea leaves, and cubeb pepper. This will give you a drinking experience that you’ll remember for a long time.
- You’ll taste subtle hints of oranges, lemons, limes, and licorice.
- It’s 21.5 proof. This makes it 43% liquor by volume and content.
- Seven out of its eleven ingredients are grown directly in India.
- It’s a top gin liquor brand in India.
You’ll enhance and appreciate its real taste, flavors, and textures when you drink it as a cocktail – that is mixed with juices and other types of hard liquor.
#8 Gin Mare
This is high-end liquor in terms of the price tag. Walk into a liquor store in India, and you’ll easily be paying upwards of 3,800 Indian rupees for this Indian gin.
All of its ingredients are grown in and sourced from the Indian subcontinent. You’ll be making any excuse you can to drink Gin mare as often as you can! It belongs to the Spanish Gin category (though it’s entirely a domestic gin brand).
Almost all of these ingredients are also grown in Spain. Its flavors, taste, and texture are inspired by the milder and more tolerable gins manufactured and distilled in the Mediterranean countries.
The reason for this is because it’s made from Arbequina olives, rosemary, thyme, basil, and mandarin oranges.
What makes it one of the most recognised gin brand names in India are the following-
- It’s inspired by Spanish gin.
- It doesn’t contain any botanicals that can cause allergies
- You’ll love its mild, pleasant, and aromatic herbal tastes and flavors. These tastes and flavors also give it a smell and taste like the best perfumes in the world that are made out of the highest quality, sweetest, and most fragrant flowers in the world.
- Its main ingredients are thyme, tart Juniper, rosemary, basil, orange, lemon, and lime peels, and coriander.
- It’s more than 22 proof. Its total alcohol content is 42.7%
- Its botanicals are distilled and blended using the finest and most sophisticated manufacturing and distilling processes in the world
Indians Just Can’t Get Enough Of The Best Gin Brands In India. The gin brands just mentioned above are among the best gin brands in India. They are made from the most natural and finest ingredients. They are also made and distilled using complex and sophisticated distillation processes. Are you a in drinker? If yes, which one is your favorite gin brand in India?
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few interesting FAQs about gin brands available in the Indian market.
#1 Which is the best gin in India?
We mentioned the top 10 gin brands that are most loved by the Indian audience.
- Bombay Sapphire
- Greater Than
- Gin Mare
- Stranger & Sons
- Jaisalmer Indian Craft Gin
#2 Is Gin good for health?
Gin is low in calories, a 100gms of gin contains 263 calories. Gin is a distilled alcoholic beverage with an unforgettable flavor from juniper berries. It has no carbs, sugar, or saturated fat. The spirit was originally used for medicinal purposes.
Gin relieves bloating and helps with digestion. The juniper berries, which are used in the gin, act as natural diuretics which combat gastric issues.
Juniper berries are used to treat autoimmune diseases such as rheumatism and arthritis.
Gin is believed to clean clogged arteries, decreasing the risk of cardiovascular diseases, as juniper berries and spices contain flavonoids.
#3 Which Indian gin is best?
Hapusa, the Indian gin brand, is distilled in India with Himalayan Juniper and botanicals. It is infused with other ingredients such as turmeric, coriander seeds, ginger, cardamom, mango, limes, and almonds. The taste of Hapusa gin is a mixture of lime and coriander.
Another one is the Stranger & Sons gin made by Goa based Third Eye distillery. It is infused with botanicals such as pepper, lemon, coriander, and a mix of citrus peels led by Gondhoraj limes from Calcutta. This gin has a unique taste which is slightly sweet with a hint of spice.
Along with these two, Greater than gin is manufactured by Delhi-based Indian brand “Nao Spirits & Beverages.” It is their London dry gin which is India’s first and only craft gin which is still made in a copper pot. They make it with ingredients such as lemongrass botanicals, coriander seeds, fennel, chamomile, and ginger.
#4 Does gin have side effects?
High consumption of gin can cause side effects such as nausea and drowsiness. High intake may also cause some severe problems such as internal bleeding, cardiovascular and respiratory issues.