Remarkable Benefits Of Raisins
Many people commonly consume raisins. But not everyone knows the benefits related to the consumption of raisins. Here is a list of benefits of raisins for health, skin, and hair along with its potential side effects.
What Are Raisins?
Raisins are produced by the drying of grapes. They are also known as Kishmish in Hindi. Grapes are dried in sun or in driers, hence, their color changes to green, golden or black dried fruit gems.
Raisins taste sweet and they are widely used in different cuisines, mainly in desserts. The appearance of raisins is simple, aged and unappetizing. Their texture is quite dry and they are really tiny in size. Don’t go by their size, they are full of nutrition. They are considered to be fruits and they are a good source for boosting energy. They are also added to food supplements and health tonics.
Raisins are easy to consume and are a quick snack. They can also be used as toppings for various dishes. Raisins are really healthy with a lot of health benefits, skin benefits, and hair benefits.
Watch Video – Raisin Benefits For Health
Nutritional Profile Of Raisins
|Saturated fat||0.1 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat||0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||0.1 g|
|Dietary fiber||3.7 g|
|Vitamin A||0 %|
|Vitamin D||0 %|
|Vitamin C||3 %|
|Vitamin B6||10 %|
Raisin is a healthy alternative for unhealthy snacks. Here are some remarkable benefits of raisins which may not be known by everyone.
Raisin Benefits For Health
1. Bone Health
Raisins have a high content of calcium which helps in making the bones stronger and healthier. Strong and healthy bones mean no bone-related diseases. Consumption of raisins is good for those who are suffering from arthritis and gout.
2. Aids In Weight Gain
If you are too thin and you are always looking for ways or diet plans to gain weight, then raisins could be your companion. Raisins are full of glucose and fructose, which boosts the level of energy to a greater extent. This glucose and fructose will aid you in gaining weight without the accumulation of bad cholesterol in the body.
Related Reading: Raisin quick recipe
3. Dental & Mouth Care
Raisins are rich in oleanolic acid which is phytochemically responsible for the safety of teeth from decay and cavities. It can even prevent teeth from getting brittle. Raisins ensure there is no growth of bacteria in the mouth and ensures the teeth are healthy and strong for a longer period of time.
As mentioned earlier, raisins are also rich in calcium, this calcium not only helps in bone health but also ensures that there is no cracking or breaking of teeth. The build-up of germs in the mouth decreases with the consumption of raisins as they also contain boron.
4. Eye Care
Raisins have antioxidants called polyphenolic phytonutrients, which ensures that your eyesight stays good for a longer period of time. It ensures that the eyes don’t get weak over time.
Raisins are able to protect the eyes by reduction of free radicals which is generally the reason for weak vision, muscular degeneration, cataract, etc. Other components which are good for eyes that are present in raisins are beta carotene and A-Carotenoid.
5. Managing Infections
Raisins have anti-inflammatory antioxidants that work as an anti-bacteria and reduce the risk of fever and also kills any bacteria that can cause infection.
6. Reduced Acidity
Raisins are extremely rich in magnesium and potassium which aid in the reduction of acidity and removal of toxins from the body. It ensures the prevention of heart diseases, kidney stones, gout, and arthritis.
7. Treatment Of Anaemia
Raisins contain B-complex vitamins and iron, which can manage anemia. Raisins also have copper present in them which ensures there is adequate production of red blood cells in the body.
8. Aids In Digestion
Our elders often say don’t consume too many raisins. But the consumption of raisins in a limited quantity is actually good for the stomach. They have the ability to swell in water as they have fibers present. These abilities of raisin, provide a laxative effect to the stomach and aids in relief from constipation.
Eating raisins also regulate your bowel movements and the fibers present, ensure that the presence of toxins and waste products is not there in the body.
Raisin Benefits For Hair
Raisins are rich in nutrients that are beneficial for hair, such as antioxidants, potassium, iron, and Vitamin B. These nutrients keep hair healthy and treat damaged hair. Following are the benefits of raisins for hair:
- Raisins have Vitamin C which manages the follicle’s connective tissue or collagen in the hair. The management of collagen leads to the healthy growth of hair.
- Vitamin E present in raisins increases the strength of the cell membrane and ensures that the free radicals don’t attack the hair follicles.
- Raisins are rich in antioxidants and that ensures very minimal loss of hair. These antioxidants also stimulate healthy hair follicles and promote the cells that are responsible for the growth of hair.
- Consumption of a handful of raisins every day increases the strength of the blood vessels, which leads to a reduction in itchiness, dandruff, and flakiness of the scalp.
- Raisins also have resveratrol which reduces inflammation of the scalp and death of the cells, which is a major cause of hair fall. Raisins also ensure that there is no damage caused to hair due to the environment.
- Raisins are also extremely rich in Vitamin C, which ensures there is adequate absorption of minerals in the hair and the hair is provided with nourishment that they require to stay healthy.
- Since the hair gets the required nourishment, the natural color of the hair is also maintained.
- Raisins are a complete package as they contain iron as well, which is an essential nutrient for the health of the hair. If your hair is iron deficient, they may be dull and lifeless.
- Iron ensures there is proper circulation of blood in the body and hence stimulates the hair follicle cells.
Raisin Benefits For Skin
By now, you already know that raisins are highly nutritious with a good amount of nutrients in them. They are low-fat food and boosts energy levels. It is a lesser-known fact that raisins can aid in keeping your skin healthy and beautiful. Following are the benefits of consuming raisins for skin:
- Vitamin A and E in raisins stimulate the growth of new cells in the outer layer of the skin. They also keep the skin hydrated. Regular consumption of raisins can make skin glowing, beautiful, supple and younger-looking.
- Antioxidants present in raisins, conflict with the free radicals in the body, which slows down the process of oxidation and ensures the DNA of the skin is not disintegrated.
- Antioxidants can also speed up the process of recovery of the skin, plump up the skin, rejuvenate the skin cells, prevent skin sagging and protect the skin from damage.
- Raisins can also protect the skin from damage caused due to the ultraviolet rays, as they contain phytochemicals that can fight with the ultraviolet rays for skin protection.
- The presence of amino acids in raisins, boost the renewal of skin and forms a barrier on the skin to protect it from UV rays and cancer.
- Consuming black raisins can also be beneficial for the detoxification of the liver. In this way, the toxins from the body are flushed out and the skin stays clear and glowing.
- Unlike any cream for skin, raisins guard the skin cells from damage. Raisins also delay the signs of aging by ensuring there are no wrinkles, blemishes and fine lines on the skin.
- Diseases like blood toxicity lead to an increase in acidity in the body, which further leads to skin complications such as psoriasis, pimples, and boils.
- The potassium and magnesium in the raisins neutralize the acid in the stomach which helps manage skin diseases and keeps it healthy.
- Resveratrol in raisins is highly beneficial for the skin. It is responsible for the removal of black cells and toxins from the blood and also improves the growth of red cells in the body, hence making the skin clearer, shinier and more nourished.
Side Effects Of Raisins
Even though raisins have many benefits but if it is consumed in excess, they may have some risks involved:
1. Allergic Reaction
Some people may have allergies from raisins and if they eat raisins, they may face wheezing, problems in breathing, diarrhea, and fever.
2. Risk Of Diabetes
Since raisins are rich in fructose, excess consumption leads to an increase in the level of triglycerides. This increased level of triglycerides can increase the risk of diabetes and people who are already suffering from diabetes or other problems must consult an expert before adding raisins to their diet.
3. Gain In Weight
If you consume a large number of raisins every day, it may lead to a gain in weight as they are quite high in calories.
In conclusion, raisin is a beneficial dry fruit. With benefits for health, hair, and skin, you must add raisins to your diet but make sure you are careful with the portion sizes, else it may lead to the above-mentioned side effects.