Wai Wai Instant Noodles Review – Quick Snacking With Cup Noodles
Slurpy slurp, we found a SUPER QUICK snack for monstrous hunger pangs- Wai Wai Instant noodles. Tasty or not, let’s find out.
While some savor their bowl topped with cheese, others add mayonnaise while cooking, and those who like it spicy do not shy away from chili sauces. Then come those who love a veggie overload and others who simply like it plain. Hands-down, the unbeatable choice for everything from a quick meal to midnight cravings, at work or at the mountain top instant noodles are loved by all!
While the market is saturated with packs and cups of instant noodles, everyone secretly has a favorite. And if you prefer Wai Wai over other brands, you’re in for a treat. After trying the Egg noodles, this post is all about the brand’s instant cup noodles. For our Wai Wai Instant noodles review, we ordered the Vegetarian and Chicken variants.
Average or mind-blowing? Find this answer below.
Also Read- Are Cup Noodles Italiano a hit or miss?
Wai Wai Instant Noodles Review – What You Need To Know
This section discusses all you need to know about Wai Wai Instant noodles.
1. Available Variants
Wai Wai offers a plethora of options when it comes to noodles. In the cup noodles range, there is Vegetarian and Chicken and we reviewed both.
2. Available Quantities
Each cup holds 65-grams of content including the seasoning mix.
3. Price Range
A 65-gram cup is priced at Rs 45.
4. Shelf Life
These have a shelf life of nine months.
Read our review of FOUR Ching’s Secret Instant noodles.
Wai Wai Instant Noodles – Our Review Factors
All about our experience with these instant cup noodles is shared below.
Noodles, seasoning mix, and a foldable fork are included in the cup. These cup noodles are equipped with a reclosable lid.
2. Main Ingredients
A few ingredients differ based on flavors. The common ones are-
Noodles – Refined Wheat Flour, Edible Vegetable Oil, Iodized Salt, Wheat Gluten, and Flavor Enhancer (621).
Seasoning- Iodized Salt, Sugar, Garlic, Chili Powder, Black Pepper, among others.
Vegetarian and chicken ‘masala’ how close does the taste come to these labels? Is the seasoning provided enough for the entire cup of noodles, or was the result somewhat bland?
Are the seasoning mixes flavorful? Could we taste the authentic chicken flavors? What about the vegetarian variant, too spicy or just right?
Individual or all stuck together? Long strands of noodles or tiny broken bits? How did our noodles look after the two-minute wait?
Wai Wai Instant Noodles – Detailed Review
|Wai Wai Instant noodles||Chicken||Vegetarian|
|Price||Rs 45||Rs 45|
|Ingredients||Refined Wheat Flour, Edible Vegetable Oil, Iodized Salt, Sugar, Garlic, Chili Powder, Black Pepper.||Refined Wheat Flour, Edible Vegetable Oil, Iodized Salt, Sugar, Garlic, Chili Powder, Black Pepper.|
|Calories||457.2 Kcal||475 Kcal|
|Shelf Life||Nine months||Nine months|
1. Chicken Flavor
Following are some details about Wai Wai instant cup noodles in the Chicken variant.
The cup comes with a sturdy plastic lid, a foldable fork, noodles, and the seasoning mix. It also has an arrow mark that indicates the amount of water required.
The aroma has notes of garlic, but the dominant one is that of deep-fried snacks. After adding the seasoning mix and boiling water, we put the lid back on and let the contents ‘cook’ for two minutes, as mentioned on the cup.
At this stage, the noodles, seasoning, and water had come together well and the contents looked appetizing.
The noodles had a springy texture, they weren’t sticky or squidgy. Long and thick, the noodles had a wholesome bite. The seasoning mix had some dehydrated carrots and onions that took the overall texture a notch higher.
Taste-wise, our experience was quite the opposite. Average-tasting, these noodles did not have a prominent spice, they tasted more garlicky. Moreover, the characteristic flavor of chicken was missing.
Wai Wai, as a brand, is known for bold masaledar flavors which were absent in this product.
- A 65-gram cup is priced at Rs 45.
- It has a shelf life of nine months.
- Main Ingredients- Noodles: Refined Wheat Flour (Maida), Edible Vegetable Oil (Palm), Iodised Salt, Flavor Enhancer (621, 627, 631) Wheat Gluten, Soy Sauce [Contains Color (E150D)] Acidity Regulator (E500, E170I, E451I), Onion, Black Pepper, Thickener (E412), Chicken Noodle Flavoring (Artificial)[ Contains Flavor Enhancer (E627, E631). Anti Caking Agent (E341 L), Thickener (E414), Acidity Regulator (E330), Antioxidant (E307)] Seasoning Powder Iodised Salt, Garlic, Flavor Enhancer (E621, E627, E631), Dehydrated Vegetables (Carrot, Cabbage, Onion) Maltodextrin (E1400), White Pepper, Leek, Onion, Chili, Black Pepper, Sugar.
- This is a pocket-friendly and beginner-friendly product.
- The noodles have a noteworthy texture.
- This had an average taste.
- The chicken flavor was too faint to be noticed.
2. Pure Vegetarian
Right off the bat, let us say Wai Wai Vegetarian Instant noodles surpassed the Chicken variant in terms of taste. Here’s why.
The packaging and preparation were identical.
Wai Wai Vegetarian noodles have a subtle masala-like aroma. Once ready, the noodles had a mustard yellow appearance and looked well-cooked. Similar to Chicken, this seasoning mix had some dehydrated carrot bits that had rehydrated fairly well.
These noodles packed the flavors of lip-smacking desi masale. The noodles absorbed the flavors nicely. Although our Team liked Vegetarian better than Chicken, the flavors were relatively subtle when compared to Wai Wai’s regular noodles (the ones that need to be cooked on a stove top).
- Net weight, price, shelf life are the same as above.
- Main Ingredients- Noodles: Refined Wheat Flour (Maida), Edible Vegetable Oil (Palm), Iodised Salt, Flavour Enhancer (E621), Wheat Gluten, Soy Sauce [Contains Colour (E150D)), Acidity Regulator (E330, Es00I, E170, E451), Tomato Sauce, Chilli Sauce, Onion, Black Pepper, Thickener (E412) Seasoning Powder Iodised Salt, Flavor Enhancer (E621 E627, E631), Maltodextrin (E1400), Black Salt, Coriander, Garlic, Chili, Turmeric, Black Pepper, Cumin, Ginger, Acidity Regulator (E330), Hvp Fenugreek Nutmeg, Fennel, Cinnamon, Clove, Onion, Sugar, Dehydrated Vegetables (Carrot, Onion, Cabbage), Anticaking Agent (Es51), Paprika, Cardamom, Emulsifying & Stabilizing Agent (E433)
- This is a quick-cooking, travel-friendly snack.
- The flavors are fairly good.
- The noodles soak up flavors well.
- When compared to Wai Wai cake noodles, these fall behind on the taste parameter. The masaledaar punch we expect from Wai Wai is too low.
Best Suited For
Looking for a convenient snack ready in a jiffy? Would you like trying these Wai Wai Vegetarian noodles?
Our Top Picks & Recommendations
While both variants received average ratings on the taste parameter, collectively, our Team liked Wai Wai Vegetarian noodles better. They packed a more flavorful blend and were not loaded with the flavor of just one ingredient.
Our experience with Wai Wai Instant noodles was not too bad. The noodles have a remarkable texture and ‘cook’ exceptionally considering they are just soaked in boiling water for 120 seconds.
The taste, however, was a horse of a different color. The flavors were mild, and naturally, the ‘soup’ tasted diluted too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Wai Wai Instant noodles
1. Is the Wai Wai seasoning bad for health?
At Mishry, we believe there are no ‘good’ or ‘bad’ ingredients, just more nutritious and less nutritious. That said, as always we say, limit the consumption of packaged foods and add more whole foods to your diet.
2. Does Wai Wai contain MSG?
Yes, Wai Wai contains MSG and is not recommended for infants below 12 months.
3. Do these noodles contain preservatives?
Yes, they contain INS 330 which is a preservative.
4. Which is the best flavor of Wai Wai noodles?
We liked the Vegetarian variant better than the chicken flavor.
5. Are these Wai Wai noodles easily available in the market?
Yes. Additionally, you can also order them via Amazon or other e-commerce websites.
Check Out These Noodles
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.