11 Proven Health Benefits of Drinking Water in Copper Bottle
Copper water has been used for ages due to its antibacterial, anti inflammatory and antiviral properties. The benefits of copper water bottle can be reaped with its proper usage and maintenance.
Copper has been a part of the Indian culture for centuries but it had lost its significance due to the plastic revolution a few years ago. Recently, this shiny metal has gained the attention of people due to the movement against plastic items. Copper is a natural water purifier with plenty of antimicrobial, antibacterial, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties. Copper water generates heat in the body and balances the pH (acid-alkaline) of the water.
According to Ayurveda, copper balances the three doshas of the body (vata, pitta, kapha) and it’s called Tamar jal. Copper is widely used in electronics, household items, tubes and pipes, and copper water bottle is the new yet healthy trend! You must have seen your grandparents storing water in copper overnight as there are several scientific facts behind it. Let’s discuss the health benefits of drinking water in copper bottle in detail.
Benefits Of Copper Water
1. Powerful Antiviral Properties
Man Matters Biotin Hair Gummies | 60 Days Pack | Enriched with Biotin Vitamin A, C, E & Zinc | Added Sugar | Keeps Hair Healthy & Strong | Strawberry Flavored |100% Vegetarian | 60 Gummies
Epidemic, Quarantine, and lockdown. You may have heard these words innumerable times within the last few days due to the deadly Coronavirus which has affected almost the whole world. A study was released recently on March 17, 2020, related to COVID 19 By national Institutes Of Health, CDC, UCLA and Princeton University Scientists in the New England Journal Of Medicine.
The scientists examined the time duration for which specific COVID-19 could survive on various materials including cardboard, plastic, stainless steel and copper. They found that the COVID-19 virus is able to survive on plastic and stainless steel for 2-3 days whereas the time period of it’s survival on copper was only 4 hours. The incredible antiviral properties of copper can protect you from several viral infections. Don’t you think it’s the right time to replace your common water bottles with a copper bottle?
2. Can Help Prevent Respiratory Virus
Earlier, according to Science Daily, new research from the University Of Southampton found that copper can help prevent the respiratory virus from spreading which are connected to severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and the Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) researchers claimed: “that Corona Virus- 229 E can remain infectious on common surfaces on several days but it can be rapidly destroyed on copper”.
3. Has Incredible Microbial And Antibacterial Properties
Copper has an effect that can drill the membranes or walls of the bacteria and viruses. The copper ions enter inside it and damage the DNA/RNA and stop them for further multiplying.
According to a study published by the Journal Of Health, Population And Nutrition scientists researched the effect of storing water in a copper pot on microbially contaminated drinking water. After keeping the contaminated water in a copper vessel for 16 hours at room temperature, they were unable to find any bacteria. In ancient times people used to throw copper coins in the rivers or ponds, this was considered a myth but not it is! It was for the sake of aquatic life.
The same study shows that the stored water was more alkaline with increased pH levels. The amount of copper content in the water was within the limit determined by WHO hence no chances of ingesting too much copper.
4. Helpful In Preventing Infections
Being a powerful antibacterial metal, a Copper water bottle can prevent us from harmful infections. The University of South Carolina researchers found that ‘Antimicrobial copper surfaces in an intensive care unit (ICU) kills 95% of bacteria that can cause hospital-acquired infections, resulting in a 40% reduction in the risk of catching an infection. They explored that the rooms with copper surfaces had less than half the infection incidence, as a result, it ensures the safe stay of patients than conventional hospital beds and helpful in saving lives. (4)
5. May Boost Digestion
An adequate amount of water is beneficial for digestion. When we store water in a copper bottle, the copper leaches in water and it helps in breaking down of food as well as absorption of vital nutrients. Copper kills the bacteria and works as a cleansing and detoxification agent. It ensures the regular working of the liver and kidneys hence improves digestion. Copper helps in discarding the body waste efficiently and can prevent various health issues like acidity, gas, indigestion and stomach ulcers.
6. Can Delay Signs Of Ageing
As we grow older, our skin tends to have more wrinkles, and further loses its elasticity. Copper has an abundance of antioxidants that helps in collagen production. It has the capability to fight with free radicals which have a major role in creating fine lines and wrinkle formation on the face and other parts of the body.
The benefits of drinking in copper water bottle regularly may help in removing dead skin cells and forming healthy cells. Isn’t it the easiest way to get younger-looking skin!
7. May Strengthen Immune
Copper is found in every tissue of our body. It produces red blood cells and maintains nerve cells. It helps in collagen production, iron absorption, and energy stimulation, thereby improving immune power. During the outbreak of cholera in the 19th century, there were thousands of cases of this deadly disease but a French doctor noticed that laborers at a copper smelter in Paris were not infected with cholera. He found that people in the city who routinely worked with copper in their day to day lives, like jewelers and goldsmiths were not affected by it as much.
8. Helpful In Weight Loss
A research team at the Department Of Energy’s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Barkley Lab) found that copper is essential for breaking down fat cells so that they can be used for energy. It provides a natural way to burn fat. More fat burning will be there with more amount of copper. A sufficient amount of Water is suggested in every weight loss diet or schedule and it can be even more effective with the use of a copper bottle. (5)
9. Can Balance The Thyroid Glands
Along with other essential minerals like zinc, copper helps in maintaining optimal thyroid gland functions. Studies show that the T3 and T4 levels of thyroid hormones are closely linked to copper levels. It ensures the balanced thyroid hormone levels that regulate the metabolism and body heat.
Auto Amazon Links: No products found.
10. Aids The Melanin Production
Melanin provides the pigment to our skin, hair, and eyes. It can safeguard us against the sun damage, helps in fading the scars and wound healing. Copper water promotes the cell formation which enhances the epidermis ( the topmost layer of the skin) and absorption of iron in the body.
11. Has Anticancer Properties
Cancer is the second most leading cause of death according to WHO. A new study on mice by the scientists shows that they were successful in destroying the tumor cells with the combination of immunotherapy and copper-based nanoparticles and above all, the tumor cells didn’t come back after the treatment. (6)
12. Can Improve The Brain Efficiency
Our brain works by transmitting impulses or orders from one neuron to another through synapses (an area) where neurons are covered by a sheath called myelin sheath which acts as a conductive agent. Myelin sheath is produced by Phospholipids that is found in copper. Enzymes need copper to help supply energy to the brain. It strengthens the defense system and relay signals to the body, making your brain sharp. The lack of copper in the body affects the ability to learn and remember which is a classic symptom of mental health diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease.
13. Battles With Anemia
Copper is an essential mineral that is required for various body functions. It encourages iron absorption, and as a result, the hemoglobin levels increase in the body. Copper water maintains the flow of blood vessels and stimulates the cell formation.
Copper helps in reducing cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the body and regulates the blood pressure and heart rate. Deficiency of copper can reduce hemoglobin synthesis and lead to anemia. Anemia can further increase cardiac output and blood pressure. A study suggests that dietary copper or copper supplementation favorably impacts the Ischaemic heart disease ( IHD) without any side effects in the body.
How To Reap Copper Bottle Benefits
- First of all, copper water bottles must be actually made out of copper. Pure copper oxidizes when it comes in contact with air and water and you can see the discoloration on it. It’s advised to buy less fancy shapes to avoid impure bottles.
- Copper water must be cleaned properly before using it for the first time. You can clean it with lemon juice, tamarind water or baking soda at your convenience.
- Ideally, the copper bottle must be filled with water a night before consumption. Even though it can be consumed at any time but morning is the best time to drink copper water on an empty stomach.
- It’s advised to store room temperature water. It shouldn’t be hot Or cold.
- Do not keep the copper bottle in the refrigerator.
- We shouldn’t store anything except water in the copper bottle as acidic substances can have an adverse reaction which can be harmful to us.
- The benefits of drinking water from copper bottles can be enjoyed by anyone or anytime but drinking copper water twice or thrice in a day is more than enough.
- Generally, the deficiency of copper is rare so it’s important to flush out the extra copper. You can take a break of a month or so after consuming the copper water regularly.
- It’s recommended to change your copper bottle every 2-3 years.
How To Clean Copper Water Bottle
- It’s very important to clean the copper bottle every day. Pure copper oxidizes and black bluish discoloration can be seen on the bottle which is harmful to health. Additionally, if your copper bottle is not cleaned properly, it will give an unpleasant taste hence it requires regular cleaning. We can’t treat this metal like other dishes so never wash it with dishwashing soap or liquid.
- A copper bottle should be cleaned with tamarind solution, lemon juice or baking soda. You can apply any one of the above-mentioned ingredients, keep it aside for few minutes and then rinse it off with water.
The Requirement Of Copper In The Body
The daily recommended amount of copper is around 900 mcg micrograms. The upper limit for 19 years and above is 10,000 mcg. Above the 10 milligrams (mg) could be toxic for the body. However, the deficiency of copper is rare and takes time to show it’s symptoms as it’s stored in the liver.
It can cause many health problems like anemia, low body temperature, bone fracture, osteoporosis, loss of skin pigmentation and thyroid problems. People may suffer from a copper deficiency in case of the below-mentioned situation.
- Genetics defects of copper metabolism.
- Absorption problems.
- High intake of zinc (more than 150 mg a day) vitamin C (more than 1500 mg a day) supplements by competing with copper for absorption in the intestine.
- Central nervous system (CNS) demyelination, myelopathy, inflammation of the optic nerve.
Copper is an important mineral that is required by the body for its proper functioning. Copper vessel water has several advantages including antibacterial to anticancer properties. Its demand has been increased as a part of health and environmental awareness. The quality and maintenance of copper is as important as it’s usage.
The right amount of copper is required in the body, Although it’s deficiency is rare but still can lead to many diseases. It’s high time to ditch your regular water bottle for enjoying several health benefits of drinking in copper water bottle.