Best English Mustard Brands in India – Mishry
Cremica’s English Mustard is our Top Pick. We also picked Colman’s Mustard as our Gourmet Pick. Here’s why we recommend these brands.
Over the last few months we have reviewed different types of mustard sauces including American Mustard and Bengali Kasundi. If you think that English mustard and the other variants we tried are the same, think again! There is a huge difference in their pungency, their ingredient composition and the way they look.
We picked four popular brands of English Mustard available in India and blind tasted them. After two taste tests, we chose Cremica English Mustard as one of the best English mustard brands in India. We also chose Colman’s Mustard as our Gourmet Pick. Both our winners have the correct seasoning level and showcase a wonderful mustard flavor.
More details on how we chose our winner.
Related Reading: Health benefits of mustard seeds
English Mustard Brands in India – What You Need To Know
Here is all that you need to know about English mustard brands in India.
1. Available Sizes
Mustard sauces are available in different sizes. Most commonly they come in 100 gram and 300 gram packs.
2. Price Range
On an average, a 300 gram bottle of English mustard is priced between Rs 70/- to Rs 110/-. Gourmet brands that are imported are priced much higher, going up till Rupees 500 for a jar.
3. Shelf Life
Varying from brand to brand, the shelf life of English mustard is usually between 6-9 months.
While American mustard is best packed in an easy-squeeze bottle to drizzle over hot dogs and snacks, English mustard comes in a wide mouthed jar. That said, some brands pack English Mustard in a squeezy bottle as well.
Related Reading : Best Mustard Oil Brands For Cooking – We tested six popular mustard oil brands in our review lab.
English Mustard Brands in India – Our Review Factors
For finding the best English mustard brand in India, we divided the review process into three stages –
Stage 1 : Visual inspection
During this stage, we checked all the brands for their texture, consistency, and aroma. All these are vital for us to check some important parameters of the condiment.
Stage 2: Blind taste test (Plain tasting)
All the brands of mustard were given to the team members in different dishes which were marked with numbers. The tasters had no knowledge of the brand name during this process. This helped us check the flavor and mouthfeel of the sauce.
Stage 3: Mishry Secret Sauce (Tasting with chicken nuggets)
English mustard is best enjoyed with plain tasting snacks like fries, nuggets, or fish fingers. We tried the mustard sauces with a batch of chicken nuggets.
Our review parameters are –
English mustard is made using four prime ingredients – Water, mustard powder/flour and turmeric. Along with this there may be other additions like wheat flour, acidity regulators and spices and condiments.
We checked the ingredient lists of all the brands of English mustard to see which ones stick to the original list or not.
While American mustard is more tangy and tart, English mustard is all about the bold mustard flavor. Yellow mustard seeds are milder in comparison to black or brown seeds, so don’t expect this to come close to the pungent nose-tingling Bengali kasundi. They don’t have the piquant heat, but are definitely more pungent and spicier than American mustard.
3. Consistency + Texture
English mustard looks very similar to American mustard, but is slightly thicker and has a grainier mouthfeel. It isn’t flowy or thin, but isn’t gloopy either.
English mustard has a bright yellow color. As the quantity of brown mustard seeds is much lesser than yellow seeds, it doesn’t have any black/brown specs.
We checked all the mustard brands for the color.
5. Price (Value For Money)
Is the mustard sauce priced competitively? If priced higher, does it reflect well in the taste? If the mustard is from the gourmet/premium section, is it tasty enough for us to spend all that extra money?
1. Cremica English Mustard Sauce – Mishry Top Pick
First things first, appearance. Cremica’s English Mustard sauce has a vibrant sunshine yellow color. It isn’t gloopy like mayonnaise but has a thick consistency with superfine granules of yellow mustard which are very evident when you taste it as it is. Thumbs up for the mouthfeel.
The mustard sauce has the most well-rounded sharp aroma which isn’t as bold and nose-tingling as a kasundi, but is definitely sharp.
During our blind taste test and the chicken nugget taste test, Cremica’s mustard sauce fared much better than the other contenders. It is very fresh tasting with the most balanced seasoning. It’s slightly tart and the mustard seed bitterness is not overpowering which should be what an English mustard should be like.
- The price of a 300 gram bottle is priced at Rs 105/-.
- The shelf life is 9 months.
- It comes in an easy squeeze bottle.
- Each serving size is 15 grams. Each serve provides 15 Kcal.
- Ingredients – Water, Mustard powder (11%), Acidity regulator (INS 260), Iodized salt, Thickener (INS 1422), Turmeric powder, Stabilizer (INS 415), Spices and condiments, Preservatives (INS 211).
- Refrigerate after opening.
- This has a vibrant yellow color.
- The sharp aroma of mustard sauce is very authentic.
- We liked the mouthfeel of the sauce.
- The seasoning is the most balanced.
- The flavor of mustard is the best in this sauce.
- It is value for money.
- There is no con, making this our Top Pick.
Best Suited For
Need a well-rounded mustard sauce for regular consumption? Cremica’s English Mustard Sauce is the pick for you.
2. Colman’s Original English Mustard – Mishry Gourmet Pick
Colman’s is one of the oldest brands in the UK that manufactures all things mustard. From mustard powder to a sauce that has pretty much set a benchmark.
Colman’s Original English Mustard is yellow colored and has a flowy consistency. It has a tart, slightly pungent aroma. The texture is not extremely smooth and we could see super fine granules of crushed mustard seeds. This has the highest, most-balanced mustard flavor.
- The price of a 100 gram bottle is priced at Rs 325/-.
- The shelf life is 6 months.
- It comes in a glass bottle.
- Each serving size is 5 grams. Each serve provides 10 Kcal.
- Ingredients – Water, Mustard flour (21%), Sugar, Salt, Wheat flour, Turmeric, Acid (citric), Stabilizer (xanthan gum)
- Refrigerate after opening. Use within 3 months.
- The flavor of mustard is superlative.
- We liked the mild grainy mouthfeel.
- The sauce is well-seasoned.
- This is from the gourmet/ premium section. Which means that even though this is delicious, it is very expensive in comparison and thus has a niche audience.
Best Suited For
The OG English Mustard Sauce is best for those who don’t mind spending a few extra bucks for that unmatched piquant mustard flavor.
3. Dr. Oetker Funfoods Traditional English Mustard
Dr Oetker Funfoods English Mustard did not win because it doesn’t come close to the original version. It looks extremely grainy and has a very pungent aroma which shouldn’t be the case. Although this is fairly tasty, the ochre color mustard with brown, fine granules doesn’t do justice to the ‘English Mustard’ tag.
- The price of a 300 gram bottle is Rs 69/-.
- The shelf life is 6 months.
- It comes in a plastic jar.
- 100 grams of this sauce provides 96.2 Kcal.
- Ingredients – Water, Mustard powder (20%), Iodised salt, Acidity regulator (INS 260, INS 334), Mixed spices, Stabilizer (INS 415)
- The mustard sauce is well-seasoned.
- The consistency is appropriate.
- The color, appearance and mouthfeel is not like how English mustard should be like.
4. Veeba English Mustard
Veeba’s mustard did not win for several reasons. Firstly, it wasn’t well seasoned and didn’t taste as nice as its competition. Secondly, the consistency is thick and gloopy. Visually, brown mustard seed granules are not what you expect from an English mustard. Moreover, it doesn’t have that signature fresh mustard aroma which we noticed was prominent in all the other contenders.
All of this collectively brought down the overall experience.
- The price of a 300 gram bottle is Rs 74/-.
- The shelf life is 8 months.
- It comes in a plastic jar.
- Ingredients – Water, Synthetic vinegar (water, acetic acid INS260), Mustard powder – 8.6%, Iodized salt, Sugar, Spices and condiments, Refined wheat flour (maida), Permitted stabilizer (INS 1422, INS 415), Permitted acidity regulator (INS 334) and Permitted preservatives (INS 211)
- Contains added flavor (Natural flavoring substances)
- Refrigerate after opening. Do not freeze.
- The consistency is not up to the mark.
- The fresh mustard aroma and flavor is missing.
- It is not well-seasoned.
Our Top Picks & Recommendations
Why did we pick Cremica English Mustard as our Top Pick? Why did we choose Colman’s Mustard as our Gourmet Pick?
A good English mustard should have a healthy yellow color, a fresh mustard aroma with a mild piquant heat that ties up together with a subtle tart flavor.
We chose Cremica (Value For Money) and Colman’s (Gourmet Pick) as our Top Picks because they checkmarked each parameter. Both our winners are the tastiest English Mustard Sauce in India with a wonderful mustard flavor.
Related Reviews - Spices, Condiments & Pickles
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Indian English mustard brands.
1. Does this mustard sauce contain additional flavours?
Yes, some brands may contain additional flavors. Do check the labels carefully for any allergens.
2. Is this mustard sauce healthy to consume?
Packaged food, even condiments, are best consumed in moderation as they contain stabilizers and acidity regulators.
3. Will this mustard sauce go well with pakoras and fries?
Yes. You can pair it with French fries and aloo pakoras as well.
4. Does this mustard sauce contain onion or garlic?
No. None of the above mentioned brands contain any onion or garlic.
5. Does this sauce require refrigeration after unpacking?
Yes. English mustard requires refrigeration once opened.
We found the tastiest English Mustard Sauce that you can pair with a batch of fries, chicken nuggets, fish fingers or even dunk your cheese sandwich into! Our Value For Money Pick is Cremica and Colman’s is our Gourmet Pick.
Do you like the pungency of Bengali kasundi, the tartness of American mustard or are you a fan of English mustard? Let us know in the comment section below.
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.