Top Haldi Doodh Mix Brands in India – Tasty & Healthy
After testing six haldi doodh mixes, we found the best Haldi Doodh Premix and Haldi Milk Mix for you! They are delicious and come with a clean ingredient list.
Turmeric (हल्दी) is a rhizome which is anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. These are packed with multiple health benefits including improving heart health and boosting immunity. This is due to the presence of an active compound called curcumin which is also responsible for the characteristic yellow color.
Since ages, India has been using turmeric for culinary, beauty and medicinal purposes. From something as small as a DIY face pack (vatna) to controlling coughs, colds or small kitchen cuts, turmeric is a vital ingredient in most homes.
Now, with the West popularising our good old haldi doodh as turmeric latte, and the pandemic directing us towards our roots, many brands offer turmeric milk premixes and milk mix powders.
Team Mishry picked four contenders from the Haldi Doodh Premix section and two from the powder mix/milk mix category. We tested them for their taste, ingredient list and aroma. In the premix section, Girnar Haldi Doodh is our Top Pick. In the milk mix category, Vahdam Teas Turmeric Latte Mix is our Top Pick. Our winners are not only tasty, but have a clean ingredient list as well. Here’s more on how we reviewed all six haldi doodh mix brands.
Haldi Doodh Mix Brands – Our Contenders
Haldi Doodh Mix Brands – Everything You Need To Know
What’s the difference between the premix and milk mix? A Haldi Doodh Premix is made using turmeric, milk solids, sweetener and flavorings like cardamom, saffron or other spices. These are pre-portioned and you do not need to measure out anything.
On the other hand, a milk mix requires you to stir the mix into a glass of milk and make the concoction. Some mixes may contain a sweetener and some may not.
Here is all that you need to know about the Haldi doodh mix brands we reviewed.
1. Available Sizes
The Haldi Doodh Premixes are available in 15-28 gram sachets in packs of 5-15 sachets per box. The milk mixes are available in 100-400 gram boxes/tins.
2. Package Type
Haldi Doodh Premixes come packed in cartons that hold pre-portioned premixes in individual sachets. These just need to be mixed with the specified amount of hot water.
The Haldi Milk Mix powders/latte mixes come in jars. The two brands we reviewed were packed in either a plastic jar or a metal jar.
3. Shelf Life
The shelf life of a premix haldi doodh is between 6-10 months varying from brand to brand.
The milk mixes have a shelf life between 17-24 months.
4. Price Range
Haldi Doodh Premixes with 5 sachets are priced between Rs 75/- to Rs 125/-. The milk mixes are priced very differently. They can range between Rs 112.25/- to Rs 350/- per 100 gms.
Haldi Doodh Mix Brands – Our Review Factors
To review haldi doodh mixes and premixes, we set a fairly simple taste test that helped us gauge the brands on selected parameters. Apart from the tasting session, we also checked the dry powders for aroma, color, and visible ingredients.
Here are our parameters for the review –
1. Main Ingredients
A product that is supposed to be healthy or atleast come close to a ‘health drink’, cannot and should not have ingredients that we don’t recognise easily. Especially if you are looking to consume this on a daily basis. Which is why reading ingredient lists is always a big part of our reviews.
Another important aspect is the addition of black pepper. It’s a proven fact that pepper is essential for the absorption of curcumin in our body. This is why most brands add pepper in a turmeric milk mix/premix.
We were looking for the haldi doodh mix/premix brand that has a clean ingredient list. Inclusion of pepper is essential.
Most people are averse to haldi doodh because of its aroma and flavor. They find it very medicinal and don’t particularly enjoy it. Which is why taste plays a key role in this review.
When we say taste, it also includes sub-factors like sweetness levels, flavoring agents used, freshness, and the milky taste. Does the brand add any spices and herbs? If yes, do they elevate the overall flavor of the drink?
3. Flavour and intensity of turmeric
Turmeric has a slightly earthy flavor with peppery notes. How pronounced is the flavor of turmeric? Do the other flavorings mask the flavor of turmeric?
Which is the dominant aroma of the haldi doodh? Turmeric, milky, undertones of pepper, cardamom or something else?
This factor is for the premix section. How thick or watery is the consistency of the haldi doodh?
6. Price + Value For Money
Is the product value for money? How many cups does a single jar make (Milk mix) and is it economical? If it is priced higher than its counterparts, why? Does the quality/list of ingredients justify the price?
Haldi Doodh Mix Brands in India – Detailed Review
We divided our review on Haldi doodh mix brands into two segments –
- Haldi Doodh Premixes – These were mixed in hot water.
- Haldi Doodh Milk Mix – These were mixed in hot milk.
Here is a tabular comparison of the Haldi Doodh premix brands.
|Brand||Price||Number of sachets/Net weight||Shelf Life||Top 5 ingredients|
|Society||75/-||75 g = 5 sachets x 15 gm each||9 months||Medium fat dairy whitener(39%), Jaggery Powder premix, milk solids (16%), turmeric powder (1.1%), sugar|
|Girnar||100/-||90 g = 5 sachets x 18 gm each||10 months||Dairy Whitener (partly skimmed milk & sugar), jaggery, ajwain, turmeric, black pepper|
|Wagh Bakri||100/-||100 gm = 5 sachets x 22 gm each||10 months||Milk solids, sugar, natural color (ins 100), natural turmeric powder, added flavour (saffron) and natural saffron|
|Chaayos||375/-||420 gm = 15 sachets x 28g||6 months||Milk solids, sugar, turmeric and Cardamom|
Here is a tabular comparison of the brands we reviewed in the milk mix segment.
|Brand Name||Price||Net Weight||Shelf Life||Main ingredients|
|Vahdam||Rs 349/-||100 gm||2 years||Turmeric, Stevia, Black pepper|
|Saffola||Rs 449/-||400 gm||17 months||Haldi powder, Haldi extract, Elaichi powder, Elaichi extract, Kali mirch powder|
1. Vahdam Turmeric Classic Latte Mix – Mishry Top Pick (Milk Mix)
Vahdam’s Turmeric Classic Latte Mix comes in a premium looking tin can with a well-explained label. This powder milk mix has a dark mustard yellow color.
The brand mentions that this pack makes 40 servings. Each serving is 2.5 grams. By that calculation each drink would cost us around 17.45 Rupees approximately excluding the cost of milk.
As soon as we opened the can, the robust aroma of kachi haldi enveloped us. Just going by the aroma, there’s no doubt that this is a potent mix of turmeric and pepper. A combination that was vital for the contender to inch ahead in the race. This milk mix has an extremely clean ingredient list with just three things on the label – turmeric, stevia and pepper. We always appreciate transparency!
We tested the Vahdam Turmeric Latte Mix using the two methods mentioned on the pack – in water and in milk. While the water mix was almost medicinal, the milk taste test was delicious.
The turmeric potency is the highest in terms of flavor and aroma. This isn’t as sweet as the others and you might need to add a natural sweetener like jaggery if you want to sweeten it further. For those who want to consume haldi doodh purely for its health benefits, we highly recommend Vahdam.
- A 100 gram pack is priced at Rs 349/-.
- This pack makes 40 servings.
- Each serve is 2.5 grams of the turmeric mix.
- Ingredients – Turmeric, Stevia, Black Pepper
- Shelf life – 2 years
- Can be consumed with milk, water or turned into a vegan latte by using dairy-free plant based milks like almond milk and oat milk.
- This is certified organic by SGS India Pvt Ltd.
- Product processed as per NPOP and USDA NOP standards.
- Cost per drink – 17.45 Rupees + Cost of milk.
- The packaging looks very premium.
- Superlative and potent! The aroma and flavor of turmeric is the most robust amongst all the contenders.
- Made using just three ingredients, we liked the clean label.
- When tested with milk, the beverage tasted delicious.
- This beverage has a mild sweetness coming from a natural sweetener – stevia.
- In comparison to its competition, it turned out to be cost effective.
Best Suited For
If you are looking for a brand of latte mix/milk mix powder that has a clean label and is a potent mix of turmeric and pepper – Vahdam’s Classic Turmeric Latte Mix is the best one for you.
2. Girnar Instant Premix Haldi Doodh – Mishry Top Pick (Premix)
Premixes come with lots of convenience. All you need to do is add hot water and stir. Girnar’s Premix comes packed in a blue box which holds 5 sachets of 18 grams each. Inside the pack are some wooden stirrers which amplify the convenience aspect.
During our dry inspection, we noticed that the powder is pale yellow and we could see small bits of ajwain. The ingredient list is clean and a natural sweetener is used – jaggery. Apart from jaggery the sweetness also comes from the dairy whitener used. The aroma is very high on spices and herbs.
Once we made the beverage, we could see specs of black pepper and ajwain throughout. The flavor of turmeric is spot on. It’s not as potent as Vahdam, but amongst the premixes, this is one of the best tasting haldi doodh.
From the subtle flavor of ajwain and black pepper and the balanced sweetness levels, thumbs up from Team Mishry.
- The price of this premix is Rs 100/-.
- Each drink is priced at Rs 20/-.
- Girnar’s Haldi Doodh comes with wooden stirrers.
- There are 5 sachets inside a 90 gm pack. Each sachet holds 18 grams of the premix.
- Shelf life – 10 months
- Ingredients – Dairy Whitener (partly skimmed milk & sugar), Jaggery, Ajwain, Turmeric, Black pepper, Piper longum root and Ginger.
- This is very convenient. It comes with a pack of wooden stirrers.
- The flavor of turmeric is spot on.
- The consistency of milk is very homestyle.
- We liked the flavor of ajwain and black pepper.
- A natural sweetener is used.
Best Suited For
Premixes are for those who are looking for convenience over everything else. Not only is Girnar’s haldi Doodh convenient, but it is also delicious with a clean ingredient list.
3. Saffola Immuniveda Golden Turmeric Milk
Our second contender in the milk mix category is Saffola. Saffola Immuniveda Golden Turmeric Milk mix comes in a yellow and green plastic jar. The dry powder is Alphonso yellow/golden yellow in color and we could see almond flakes.
As instructed we tested this in water and milk. We added 10 grams of the mix in 100 ml of milk. The powder dissolved with ease. Each serving is 20 grams, so a 400 gram jar (Priced at Rs 449/-) contains 20 servings. By that calculation, each drink would cost us around Rs 22 excluding the cost of the milk.
This is undoubtedly a delicious haldi doodh. It has turmeric, pepper, cardamom, and cinnamon which all comes together very beautifully. The almond flakes are crunchy and provide a nice textural change.
The ingredient list doesn’t mention the use of any sweetener but the haldi milk was slightly sweet. This could be the collective natural sweetness of milk, cinnamon and cardamom. We didn’t feel the need to add any additional sweetener.
- Saffola’s 400 gram jar is priced at Rs 449/-.
- A single serving is 20 grams. This jar holds 20 servings.
- Shelf life – 17 months
- Ingredients – Haldi powder, Haldi extract, Elaichi powder, Elaichi extract, Kali mirch powder, Kali mirch extract, Cinnamon extract, Almond flakes, Permitted Excipients Q.S.
- We liked the collective flavor of turmeric, pepper, cardamom and cinnamon.
- The almond flakes are crunchy and add a nice texture to the beverage.
- Even though we do not particularly dislike anything about the Saffola Milk mix, this is slightly more expensive than its competition (per serve).
- The intensity of turmeric is much lower.
4.Wagh Bakri Haldi Doodh Turmeric Latte
Wagh Bakri Haldi Doodh Turmeric Latte Premix comes in a bright yellow and electric blue box. Inside the pack are 5 single-serve sachets which hold 22 grams of the premix. One sachet needs to be mixed into 150 ml hot water.
The aroma of the dry mix and the prepared beverage is very saffron-like. Flavor wise too, this was dominant on the saffron flavor. The flavor of turmeric, pepper or any other herbs/spices is very feeble as saffron overpowers and masks the flavor of turmeric. The sweetness is medium-high. The consistency is very milky.
- The price of this premix is Rs 100/-.
- Each drink is priced at Rs 20/-.
- It comes with wooden stirrers.
- There are 5 sachets inside a 110 gm pack. Each sachet holds 22 grams of the premix.
- Shelf life – 10 months
- Ingredients – Milk solids, Sugar, Natural color (INS100), Natural turmeric powder, Added flavour (saffron) and Natural saffron.
- We could see strands of saffron in our beverage.
- The consistency is milky.
- Lack of pepper reduces the overall nutritive value of the beverage.
- The flavor of saffron overpowers everything else.
5. Society Haldi Doodh Turmeric Latte Instant Premix
Society Haldi Doodh Turmeric Latte did not win because of its ingredient list and a comparatively diluted consistency. The taste is high on turmeric with a subtle taste of black pepper and ajwain that comes through at the end. But the milky consistency we were looking for was lacking.
There are a few things that worked for this brand. Society Haldi Doodh is the only brand that mentions the type of haldi used. It uses Lakadong Haldi, which has a higher curcumin level than regular turmeric.
- The price of this premix is Rs 75/-.
- Each drink is priced at Rs 15/-.
- There are 5 sachets inside a 75 gm pack. Each sachet holds 15 grams of the premix.
- Shelf life – 9 months
- Ingredients – Medium fat dairy whitener [39% – Milk solids, Sugar and Emulsifiers INS 339 (ii) and INS 339 (iii)], Jaggery Powder premix [Jaggery, Maltodextrin, Anticaking agent (INS5510], Milk solids (16%), Turmeric powder (1.1%), Sugar, Ginger powder, Black pepper, Cinnamon and Encapsulated Ajowan seed oil [Ajowan oil, Emulsifier (INS414)]
- We liked that the brand mentions the type of haldi used.
- The flavor and aroma of turmeric is pronounced.
- There is a mild pepper flavor.
- The consistency is very diluted.
- The ingredient list could have been better.
6. Chaayos Haldi Doodh Premix
Chaayos Haldi Doodh premix has an off-white color and the prepared beverage also has a pale yellow color.
This variant has a lovely cardamom flavor but we feel it completely masks the turmeric. Although this is good for those who do not like the taste of haldi, we felt the potency of turmeric is very low. The sweetness levels are balanced.
We appreciate that Chaayos’ Haldi Doodh Premix has a very clean ingredient list. It uses four ingredients including milk solids, sugar, turmeric and cardamom. It would have been better if black pepper was a part of the ingredient list as it helps in the absorption of curcumin in our body.
- The price of this premix is Rs 375/- for a pack of 15 sachets.
- There are 15 sachets inside a 420 gm pack. Each sachet holds 28 grams of the premix.
- Shelf life – 6 months
- Ingredients – Milk solids, Sugar, Turmeric and Cardamom.
- We liked the milky consistency of the beverage.
- Thumbs up for the clean ingredient list.
- The lack of pepper.
- The flavor of haldi is completely masked with cardamom.
Best Suited For
People who want to consume turmeric milk without actually tasting the haldi might like this.
Related Reviews From The Beverage Section
Our Top Picks & Recommendations
Why did we choose Vahdam Classic Turmeric Latte Mix as our Top Pick (Milk mix section)? Why did we choose Girnar Haldi Doodh as our Top Pick in the premix section?
A clean ingredient list and a potent mix! These are the two main reasons why we chose Vahdam Classic Turmeric Latte Mix (Milk Mix) and Girnar Haldi Doodh (Premix) as our Top Pick.
Vahdam’s mix is made using just three ingredients which showcase themselves beautifully in this intense turmeric flavored beverage. The mild sweetness levels in this come from a natural sweetener called stevia (this is diabetic friendly as well). This leaves room for the consumer to add some from the top. Vahdam’s Turmeric Latte Mix hit all the checkboxes, making it our winner in the milk mix section.
Girnar has an intense flavor of turmeric that pairs well with ajwain and black pepper. We liked that a natural sweetener (jaggery) was used. It’s convenient and has a very homestyle consistency.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Haldi doodh mix brands.
1. Can we drink Haldi Doodh twice a day?
It is advised to not exceed the consumption of turmeric milk more than once a day.
2. Can Haldi Doodh cure pimple problems?
Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and is widely used in India to make face packs. So yes, application of turmeric may reduce acne or pimples. We cannot measure the efficacy of consumption of haldi doodh for skin-related issues.
3. Does the Haldi Doodh help in losing weight?
The inclusion of haldi doodh has worked for some in their journey for weight loss. That being said, you must understand that there is no permanent recipe for weight loss. Different diets and foods work for different people. Consult a certified nutritionist for a sustainable and well-rounded weight loss diet.
4. What are the main benefits of Haldi Doodh?
Turmeric milk/Haldi doodh is a gold mine of health benefits. From being an effective home remedy for common cold, cough and minor aches and pains, this golden drink also helps boost immunity.
5. Does drinking Haldi Doodh on an empty stomach cause any bodily harm?
No. Drinking haldi doodh on an empty stomach does not have any adverse effects. Before including this in your daily routine, do consult your doctor.
We chose Girnar Haldi Doodh Premix as our Top Pick (Premix category) for its delicious taste and clean ingredient list. The inclusion of pepper along with a natural sweetener like jaggery is surely a plus. In our Milk Mix category, we chose Vahdam Classic Turmeric Latte Mix as our Top Pick for its supremely clean ingredient list, and the potent turmeric flavor.
Do you drink haldi doodh often? If so, how do you make it? Drop in your comments below.
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.