Haldiram’s Tea Time Khari: #FirstImpressions
Haldiram’s Tea Times Khari (Crispy Puffs) has been launched in 5 desi flavors, reminiscent of the kind that used to be sold on carts and kiosks once upon a time.
Us Indians take our tea time very seriously. It’s almost like a small conference room meeting. Now, in that ‘meeting’, having some crunchy sides is a must – Biscuits to dip and namkeens to binge on. Discussing about food while eating food seems like the best thing to do. We all have eaten some version of the evergreen khari (puff pastry, if you want a fancier name for it) at some point in our lives – Crispy, flaky and mouth melting.
Khari, basically a flaky puff pastry, is one of the most popular snacks that is commonly eaten along with tea in India. It has just the right amount of crunch and its light taste blends with the strong taste of the tea, which results in a creamy flavor. Haldiram’s, a household name for street food and traditional sweets has come up with a new range of these crispy puffs with variants such as original, masala, jeera, methi, and multigrain. We tried some of the falvors from Haldiram’s tea time khari range and here is our #FirstImpression.
What you need to know about Haldiram’s Tea Time Khari
- It is a vegetarian product.
- Contains zero sugar.
- Each packet contains 12 crispy puffs.
- 1 piece of khari is around 17 grams. The amount of calories per serving are 110.
- Contains wheat gluten, soy, and sesame components.
Although Haldiram’s crispy puffs (Khari) comes in five different flavors, we got hold of two of them, which are:
1. Haldiram’s Tea Time Khari: Mild Masala Crispy Puffs
Mishry Taste Test | Mild Masala Crispy Puffs:
The puffs are crispy and flaky, as they should be. The size is just right and is best enjoyed with tea. It’s buttery and may not be a health enthusiast’s favorite snack, but if you want to indulge – say on a rainy monsoon evening – then this is a great option for sure. Mildly spicy and tasty, we give this flavor a thumbs up.
2. Haldiram’s Tea Time Khari: Multi-Grain Crispy Puffs
Mishry Taste Test | Multi-Grain Crispy Puffs
This is the plain flavour, in a manner of speaking. We also found these puffs to be a less crunchy that the Masala version. Having said that, these could have a place on your tea-time platters too. The Multi-Grain Crispy Puffs by Haldiram’s are completely reminiscent of what used to be sold only in local bakeries once upon a time. Crispy savory puffs with loads of butter and just a hint of zeera. This is that variant, the one that takes you back to where it all started.
3. Haldiram’s Tea Time Khari: Mild Ajwain Crispy Puffs
Haldiram’s Tea Time Khari (Mild Ajwain)
These Kharis contain refined wheat flour, hydrogenated vegetable oil, refined cottonseed oil, ajwain (carom seed), salt and gluten powder. Haldiram’s Ajwain Khari is a light and flaky addition to your tea time snack tray.
Price – Rs 60/-*
*Price at the time of review
Mishry Taste Test | Mild Ajwain Crispy Puffs
Our tea time snack trays are usually filled with cookies, biscuits, namkeens and of course some delicious kharis. We tried the Haldiram’s Tea Time Khari – Mild Ajwain Crispy Puffs to jazz up our chai break. The upside – these Haldiram’s ajwain puffs are light, airy, flaky, crispy and tasty. Basically everything you expect out of a standard khari. The downside – we expected the ajwain flavor to stand out, which didn’t happen. These kharis were not as crispy as the mild masala ones we reviewed earlier. While eating them, you can feel how dense they are. The puffs are thicker in comparison to the ratio of ajwain used to flavor them, there is definately an imbalance there. Overall, it is a decent snack to combine with your tea time but we have surely had better kharis.
Haldiram’s Tea Times Khari flavors have been launched in happy bright colors that catch your attention on the supermarket shelf right away. This could be the right season to give them a try.
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.