Goeld Papaya Halwa Review – Ready To Eat Frozen Halwa
Goeld Papaya Halwa has a well balanced sweetness and gooey texture. An in-depth review on the product covered below.
Ready to eat halwas are a boon for those who struggle to make them from scratch. Especially for people living alone and students living in hostels, ready-to-eat halwa packs a lot of convenience and ease. All you need to do is open, heat and dig in. Satisfy those sweet cravings in a matter of minutes.
When we think of halwas, we instantly shift to the more rich, decadent ones like atta, gajar, suji, and moong dal. No one really associates halwa with papaya. But here we have a frozen papaya halwa by Goeld. Intrigued, we picked up the Goeld Papaya Halwa from a local store. It was tested for its taste, texture, and sweetness levels. All the details you need to know in our Goeld Papaya Halwa review.
Team Mishry earlier reviewed ITC Masterchef Kitchens Of India Royal Ready To Eat Halwas – Awadhi Badam Halwa and Nawabi Kaju Halwa.
Our Review Factors
What are we looking for? Contrary to what you may think, papaya halwas are not unpopular. Made using ripe, semi-ripe or raw papayas, this halwa can be made with or without a sweetener depending on the ripeness of the fruit. They are relished for their naturally sweet, thick, jammy qualities. We were looking for similar features in the ready-to-eat halwa.
For Goeld Papaya Halwa review, we have taken into account the following review factors :
What is the point of a frozen product, if it’s not tasty? Convenience isn’t the only thing we aim at. Which is why taste is a prime and crucial factor. In terms of taste, we were looking at taste of the collective bite. How delicious is the halwa? Do all the aromatics come together? The level of sweetness, aftertaste, flavor of ghee and freshness were all considered.
2. Texture & Appearance
The time taken to roast any halwa impacts the overall texture and appearance. We gauged here how well roasted the halwa is? Lightly or well-roasted? Is the texture liquidy, thick, or gooey and jammy? Has the roasting changed the color of the papaya?
3. Nutrition Label
- Main Ingredients – We check for the use of any preservatives, artificial sweeteners, or artificial colors? The main ingredients include – Papaya (60%), Sugar, Clarified Butter, Milk powder, Condensed milk, Fresh milk, Dry fruits, and Cardamom. Contains Allergens : Milk, Milk Products and Nuts.
- Nutritional Information – Per 100 gm, Goeld Papaya Halwa contains 253.68 kcal of energy, 7.28 gm of fat, 2.54 gm of protein, and 34.6 gm of total sugar. The pack says it’s rich in dietary fibre, VItamin A and C, but the nutrition label does not mention the details.
4. Product Details
- Packaging – Goeld Papaya Halwa comes in a pink color box pack. A transparent square-shaped plastic tray holds the halwa inside the box. The tray is secured with a film on top.
- Price – The price for a 250 gm pack is Rs 150/-.
- Shelf Life – The shelf life is 12 months.
GOELD Papaya Halwa – Detailed Review
Method Of Preparation: We heated the halwa as per the instructions mentioned in the box. Before heating the halwa, we punctured the top film of the tray in 3 to 4 places. We then placed the tray in the microwave on medium power for around 5 to 6 minutes. After that, we discarded the top film and reheated the halwa again for about a minute.
Taste Test: Although two sweeteners (sugar and condensed milk) are added to the halwa, it does not feel overly sweet. The halwa had tiny bits of cashews. It also contains raisins which taste fresh. The papaya strands add a delicate bite in between. There is a slight flavor of cardamom in this halwa.
Overall, the halwa did not taste either bad or exceptional. We felt the halwa was a tad bit over-roasted.
It is best to have this halwa when it is piping hot. As the halwa cools down, the fat starts sticking to the palette.
Related Reading : Why we do not recommend the Aashirvaad Instant Suji Halwa With Jaggery
- The sweetness is well-balanced.
- Raisins taste fresh and are plumpy.
- The cashew bits add a nice bite.
- We liked the packaging of this halwa.
- It is free from added preservatives, colors, and flavors.
- This halwa is made at 100% vegetarian kitchens.
- We felt the halwa was slightly over-roasted.
- As it starts to cool down, the halwa does not taste pleasant.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Goeld Papaya Halwa.
A 250 gm pack of Goeld Papaya Halwa is sufficient to serve 2 to 3 people.
Yes. Apart from sugar, Goeld Papaya Halwa contains additional sweeteners in the form of condensed milk.
Yes, Goeld Papaya Halwa has 0 gm of trans fat.
No. Goeld Papaya Halwa does not contain any preservatives.
Our review experience of Goeld Papaya Halwa was a decent one. We loved the tiny bits of cashews and the fresh-tasting raisins. The halwa appeared slightly over-roasted, which we did not appreciate. We feel that this halwa has scope for more improvement in terms of the taste and texture.
Are you a fan of papaya halwa? Do let us know in the comments below.
Related Reviews By Team Mishry
Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.