Hawkins Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker 3 L Review
Easy to use, easy to clean. We used the Hawkins 3-Litre Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker in our test kitchen for over three months.
The default alarm clock on a Sunday, the star of every Indian kitchen – a trustworthy pressure cooker. Well, can you blame us? Not only does a pressure cooker reduce cooking time, but can also help retain nutrients in comparison to open-pan cooking.
One of the brands that most Indian homes trust when it comes to pressure cookers is Hawkins. We used the 3 Litre Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker by Hawkins in our test kitchen for over 3 months to check it for various aspects. We discuss the price, design details, ease of usage and much more in our Hawkins Pressure Cooker Stainless Steel 3 Litre review.
The Hawkins Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker comes in various sizes starting from 1.2 litres and going up till 8 litres. We picked the 3 Litre (Wide) pressure cooker variant for our review.
Here is all that you need to know –
The Hawkins Pressure Cooker comes in a sturdy carton. The contents of the carton include –
- Pressure Cooker with lid, rubber gasket and whistle (vent weight)
- Cookbook with 32 tested recipes and operating instructions.
- Guarantee card (5 years). The guarantee is against defects in material and workmanship. Safety valves, gasket and plastic handles are not covered.
- Hawkins authorised service centre directory
The Hawkins Pressure Cooker (HSS3W) is flat-bottomed and compatible with gas stove, induction, electric, ceramic, and halogen cooktops.
4. Cooker Weight
Total weight of the cooker – 1.784 Kg
Weight of the whistle – 78 gm
5. Safety Parameters
There are two safety features in this cooker –
- Pressure Locked Safety Lid – The lid cannot be opened until the pressure inside the cooker reduces to a safe level.
- Automatic Safety Valve – The safety valve ensures that the excess pressure is released and the food/steam are safely deflected downwards.
The 3-Litre Hawkins Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker is priced at Rs 3000/-.
Hawkins Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker 3 Litre- Detailed Review
|Hawkins Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker||Product Information|
|Available Sizes (in Litres)||1.5, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 8|
|Cooker Weight||1.784 Kg|
|Compatibility||Gas, Ceramic, Halogen, Induction|
Our Hawkins pressure cooker stainless steel review is based upon multiple tests and trials conducted on the vessel. We used the pressure cooker for over three months and cooked a variety of dishes like –
- Arhar dal
- Moong-arhar dal mix
- Brown rice pulao
- Boiled potatoes
- Boiled boneless chicken with chana dal for kebabs
|Name of Dish||Ratio We Followed||Cooking Time|
|Basmati rice||1 cup rice + 2 cups water||3 minutes + Cooling time|
|Rajma||1 cup rajma + 3 cups water||12 minutes + Cooling time|
|Arhar + Moong Dal||3/4th cup water +1/4th cup dal||5 Minutes (1 whistle on high, low flame thereafter) + Cooling time|
|Arhar Dal||Soaking time – 30 minutes
1 cup dal + 3 cups water
|Same as above|
|Brown Rice Pulao||1 cup rice + 3 cups water
Rice were not soaked
|12 minutes (Including sautéing of veggies)|
|Boiled Potatoes||5 medium sized potatoes + Water until the potatoes are soaked||5 minutes|
What we noticed – As compared to our own measurements and ratios, the food cooked faster when we followed the instructions given in the cookbook. The whistle is sharp and clear. The inner lid is easy to operate and the handle is cool to touch.
Is it easy to clean? Yes! We cleaned it by hand and in a dishwasher (Bosch dishwasher). It is easy to clean by hand and all the turmeric stains come off easily. You don’t have to scrub it too hard. We cleaned the lid, whistle and the body in the dishwasher. While the stainless steel body of the cooker cleaned well, the lid did not. The strip of metal connecting the whistle and handle started to fade after just 1 wash.
The cooktops we used it on – Gas stove and induction.
We recommend that that the cooker should be used on a small burner/medium flame. When used on a big burner, the base turned black very quickly. This did not happen when used on a smaller burner.
Did it work well on an induction cooktop? Yes. We did not face any issue while using this on an induction cooktop.
Do note that separators cannot be used in this cooker.
- The 3-Litre Hawkins Pressure Cooker is priced at Rs 3000/-.
- Weight of the cooker is 1.784 Kg.
- Weight of the whistle is 78 gm.
- The cooker has a safety valve and a rubber gasket.
- Comes with a 5-year warranty on material defects and workmanship.
- Can be used on gas stove, induction, ceramic, electric and halogen cooktops.
- The handles are cool to touch.
- The cooker is easy to clean by hand. Tough turmeric stains are also easy to wash away.
- The whistle is clear and sharp.
- Inner lid is easier to operate.
- Thick, flat-bottom.
- The lid is not dishwasher safe. It is recommended you clean it by hand.
Best Suited For
This 3-litre pressure cooker is best suited for small families of 3-5 people. This is also for people who want quicker methods of cooking without losing out on the nutrients and flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on the Hawkins stainless steel pressure cooker.
1. Is the Hawkins stainless steel pressure cooker easy to use?
Yes. The inner lid makes it easy to use and handle. The whistle is sharp and clear. The handle is cool to touch.
2. What is the price of the Hawkins stainless steel pressure cooker 3 litre?
The MRP of the Hawkins Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker is Rs 3000/-.
3. Which material is the Hawkins stainless steel Pressure cooker made of?
The Hawkins Pressure Cooker is made with stainless steel. The handle grip is plastic. The ‘18-8’ on the cooker signifies that the stainless steel contains 185 chromium and 8% nickel. This is said to have better anti-corrosion resistance and withstand the acids found in many foods.
4. What is the lid type of this pressure cooker?
The Hawkins Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker (HSS3W) has an inner lid.
5. What is the difference between Hawkins stainless steel and Hawkins stainless steel contura?
The model that we purchased and reviewed is flat-bottomed, and has a wide mouth with a straight outer body. The contura model has a curved body.
Final Words – Hawkins Pressure Cooker Review
Please note that when we review appliances and utensils in our test kitchen, we ensure to keep using the product even after the official review process is over. In case we have any new updates and fresh insights, we update the article.
The Hawkins Pressure Cooker (3-litre, Stainless steel) has an inner lid which makes it easy to operate. The clear, sharp whistle and the quick cooking of multiple foods makes it an ideal utensil in the kitchen. During that peak morning rush, when you’re juggling a lot of household chores, gaining a few extra minutes can make a lot of difference.
Do you use a pressure cooker? Which brand do you use and are you satisfied with the brand you purchased? Let us know more in the comment section below.
More Pots And Pans We Have Reviewed
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.