How To Store Dried Figs For A Long Life?
If you don’t know how to store dried figs, go through this simple method, and enjoy the dehydrated fruit for 6 to 12 months. It has numerous benefits as long as you have it within a limit.
If you know that figs are delicate, you might know that they need to be stored well for durability. And the best way to store figs is to dry them and then preserve them. Adding dried figs to your diet is one of the best things you will do, and some of the health benefits of this fruit will be mentioned in this piece. Along with the pros and cons, a few easy ways to dry figs will also be mentioned.
Moving further, we will also mention how to store dried figs and what their nutritional values are. So, let’s begin with methods to dry figs.
How To Dry Figs In The Sun?
Though it is a natural and simple method to dry figs, it is a time-consuming process. So, if you still want to sun dry figs, these are the steps you have to follow:
- Bring high-quality figs from the market and wash them with cold water to remove all the fruit’s dirt.
- Now take a paper towel or cloth to dry the wet fruits.
- Take a knife and cut the fruits in half so that the drying process speeds up.
- You take a wooden rack or wire rack and place a cheesecloth on top of it so that you can start laying the fruits on it in gaps.
- As you have formed the layer of fruits on the rack, cover them with another cheesecloth to protect it from pests and insects during their drying up process.
- Once the rack is ready with fruits, place it under the direct sunlight, and it will take you around 2-3 days minimum to get done with the process.
- And as the figs are drying, change its sides regularly to ensure even drying. Bring the rack inside at night and when it is raining to keep it away from moisture.
How To Dry Figs In Oven?
If you don’t have 2-3 days to get dried figs, you can always rely on the oven. It involves simple steps and won’t take more than a day or so. So, follow these steps for drying figs in the oven:
- As you have got the best quality figs from the market, wash them under the running water, so that there are no traces of dirt.
- Then you will take a cloth or paper towel to dry the water on the fruit and cut it into two halves so that the process of drying figs can become fast.
- And as you are doing all this, you will preheat the oven around 140-degrees F.
- You will now take the oven wire rack and place the figs on it. Make sure that the cut side of the fruit is upwards.
- When you have placed the rack inside the oven, it will take you around a day or 36 hours to completely dry the figs. Meanwhile, make sure that you turn the fruit’s sides from time to time to ensure even drying.
Once the figs are dry, you can fill them in an airtight container or a glass jar, and this is how to store dried figs to ensure they last longer. Make sure that you are keeping the jar in a cool dark place to keep them dry all the time.
How To Dry Figs In A Dehydrator?
Then, you can go for drying figs in a dehydrator as well. It is also a method you can consider to dry the figs smoothly and quickly. It involves the following simple steps:
- Do the same thing. But the figs and wash them under the want to clean them well.
- Take a cloth or paper towel to remove the excess water on the fruit.
- Cut it into halves so that the juice inside the fruit can dry fast and speed up the fruit’s whole drying process.
- And as you do all this, turn the dehydrator on at 135-degrees F before placing the fruits inside it.
- Now place the figs on the dehydrator’s tray where the cut side will be upwards and then push it inside the appliance.
- It will take you around 8 hours for dehydrating figs completely. And throughout the drying process, you will keep on changing the figs’ sides for even drying.
- After 8 hours, if the figs are dry, you can store them, but if they are not finished yet, you will keep it inside the dehydrator again for a few more minutes or hours accordingly.
And if you don’t know how to store dried figs, then take an airtight container and fill the dried figs in it. You can then place the container inside a fridge to make it last for months or a year.
How To Dry Out Figs In A Microwave?
If you don’t have a dehydrator or an oven in your home, you can always use a microwave to dehydrate figs in it. You need to follow these easy steps to get done with the job:
- As you are done with buying, washing, and drying the fruit with a paper towel, you will cut it into two halves.
- You will now take a microwave-safe plate and set the fruit on it in gaps so that they are not touching each other. Also, make sure that the cut side of the fruit is downwards on the plate.
- Now place the plate inside the microwave and set it to a high temperature for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, open the microwave and turn the figs’ side and let it dry for another ten minutes inside the appliance at a high temperature.
- Keep looking at the figs for the last 3-4 minutes, and when you see that the figs are dry to the point of shriveling, you will turn the microwave off and take out the fruit.
After you take them out, let it cool down for a few minutes, and then you can put it inside a glass jar to preserve it. And, try to keep it in a dry, dark, and cool place. This is how to store dried figs conveniently after dehydrating them at home.
How To Store Dried Figs At Home For Durability?
Storing dried figs is not a time-consuming task. It is hassle-free, and all you need to do is take a glass jar, a tightly sealed plastic bag, or an airtight container to keep the dried figs inside it. Check for once that there are no holes in the container to keep away moisture from the dried fruit and place it inside the refrigerator or freezer. There is no better way to know how to store dried figs other than this.
And, as you store it inside the fridge, your dried fruit will last for six months or one year. It can even last for 18 months, depending on the kind of weather you are living in. All you need to do it is to keep it away from humidity.
Even though you can preserve the dried figs for months, make sure that you are consuming it as soon as possible because everything loses its qualities with time. After a few months, it may lose its sweetness even if it is in the condition of being used.
What Are The Nutritional Values Of Figs?
Now when we know how to store dried figs, it is time to know what nutrients are available in 40 grams of fresh figs:
- It contains 30 Calories.
- It has 0 grams of Protein.
- It doesn’t have fat in it.
- It has 8 grams of carbs.
- You will consume 1 gram of fiber in it.
- It has 3% of Copper.
- Magnesium is 2%
- Potassium is also 2%
- Then, Riboflavin is also 2%
- Thiamine is 2% as well
- Vitamin B6 is 3%
- And, Vitamin K is 2%
In short, it is a completely healthy fruit for health-conscious people. They can add this fruit to their diet without hesitation. They can eat it fresh or can go for the dried figs as well. If you have dry figs, you will enjoy almost the same nutritional values as the fresh ones.
Pros Of Figs
After knowing how to store dried figs and what the nutritional values of fresh figs are, let’s talk about the benefits of adding them to your daily routine:
- If you are consuming the figs in the right quantity, they will help you deal with various digestive issues like constipation and softening your stool. Because of the fruit’s fiber, figs are a long known home remedy to keep your digestive system in good health.
- Consuming figs regularly can help you improve blood pressure and blood fat levels, improving your vascular health, and reducing your chances of facing any heart-related disease.
- It is a friend for diabetic patients because it may help you manage your body’s blood sugar levels. But, as this fruit is high in sugar, you should consume it at a limit, so it does not affect your blood sugar level negatively.
- The best thing about this fruit is that it is good for your skin as well. If you are eating it daily, it will help your skin appear healthy and glowy all the time.
- As it is a good source of fibers, figs can help in managing your weight. So, those trying to maintain their weight can immediately add this amazing fruit to their diet. But, as it is high in calories, you still need to consume it in limited quantities to get the desired results.
- It is also said that figs can be used to treat different kinds of cancers to some extent.
- Figs offer you one more advantage that only a few people know, and that is, it helps improve your reproductive health because it is a source of zinc, manganese, magnesium, and iron.
- Girls can even consume this fruit to deal with their PMS issues because of their beneficial qualities.
- If you are consuming fig in dried form, it is a good source of calcium, improving your bone health.
So basically, you can have this fruit regularly without thinking twice. It is going to keep your physical health in check, along with taking care of your skin. You need to ensure that you are consuming it in a limited quantity because it is high in calories, which can harm your health.
Cons Of Figs
Though figs are known to offer you a lot of benefits, it comes with a few side-effects as well, and those cons have been mentioned below:
- As you take figs to treat your constipation, it may cause diarrhoea if not taken in a limited quantity.
- If not taken in a small quantity, it can even interfere with your blood sugar levels.
- Those who are allergic to this fruit should avoid consuming it because it can cause you itching and other issues.
- As it is not easy to digest this fruit, it may even harm your intestines if you overeat the fruit.
These are just a few issues that figs can cause. But, as long as you have them in the right quantity, you will only experience its benefits because you know that excess of everything is bad. So, be careful while consuming it regularly.
Just follow the simple steps mentioned in this piece to dry figs, and don’t worry about ’how to store dried figs’ because it is not complicated. Also, keep all the benefits of this fruit in mind to positively change your life and make sure that you are not overeating it to avoid its side effects.
- Do the dried figs go bad soon?
Fresh figs go bad quite early than the dried figs. We would advise you not to have dried figs if you find them smelling or if you see molds on them.
- Can you wash dried figs?
You can, of course, rinse the dried figs in cold water. Make sure you wipe them with paper towels only. This is because these figs are gentle, and you should not use a vegetable brush to scrub them.
- Why do the dried figs have white stuff?
The white substance that you see on the dried figs is the sugar crystal. Yes, these white sugar crystals are natural fruit sugars that infrequently appear on them.
- Can figs be counted amongst the Superfoods?
Yes, figs are a superfood. These carry amazing fiber content and are rich in minerals. One fig serving has calcium, iron, and potassium, which are good for health.