Maggi Hot & Sweet Sauces Review: The Best Dip With Snacks
Tangy sauces laced with a chilli kick and just a hint of sweetness. Maggi Hot & Sweet sauces make for a lip-smacking dip!
Thick, hearty, and super versatile, tomato sauce has a tangy flavor that pairs decently well with almost all snacks. From classic combinations like a burger and a side of French fries to a generous drizzle over a bowl of noodles and even some pakoras, tomato sauce holds the power to tie dishes together without really taking over the authentic flavors.
For our spicy-food-loving audience, earlier we reviewed two variants of Naagin Hot sauces. Trying another type of chili, we also reviewed some of the most-loved brands of green chilli sauces. Those with a low spice tolerance, worry not! Tangy with a bit of spice and sweetness, here’s our Maggi Hot & Sweet sauces review. We tasted three variants and this review tells you how hot or sweet each one is.
Often used interchangeably, sauce and ketchup are not the same. Traditionally, ketchup is served cold while most sauces are served hot!
Maggi Hot & Sweet Sauces – Everything You Need To Know
Here’s all you need to know about Maggi Hot & Sweet sauces to pick the right one based on your love for chilli.
1. Available Sizes
Maggi Hot & Sauces are available in squeezy pouches of 100-300 grams and also in 1 kg glass bottles.
2. Available Flavours
Generally, Maggi offers several sauce variants. In the Hot & Spicy range, there are three –
- Tomato Chilly
- Extra Hot Tomato Chilly
- Sriracha Sauce
3. Price Range
A 100-gram pouch is priced at Rs 22 and the 300-gram packs are priced at Rs 80. The 1 kg bottles are priced at Rs 165.
4. Shelf Life
These hot & sweet sauces have an eight-month shelf life.
Maggi Hot & Sweet Sauces – Our Review Factors
An insight to our review process is discussed in this section.
These sauces are offered in pouches. How convenient does it make the serving process? Is this packaging easy to store too? Does the cap shut back securely?
2. Main Ingredients
What are the key ingredients used? What is the tomato to sugar proportion?
What type of chillies are added?
3. Texture and Consistency
Do the sauces seem well-blended and smooth? Or are there chunks and bits of tomatoes like salsa? Is the ketchup thick, flowy or runny? Can they be used as a dip?
4. Nutritional Information
Sauces typically have more carbohydrates and fiber than fats and proteins. What does the nutritional profile of these sauces look like?
RELATED READING- Best Tomato Sauce brands
Maggi Hot & Sweet Sauces – Detailed Review
Four our review, we tested all the sauces with a batch of potato fries and salted chips as they provide a rather neutral base to test the flavor.
Here is a tabular comparison table for all the three variants we tried.
|Maggi Hot & Sweet Sauces||Tomato Chilli||Extra Hot Tomato Chilli||Sriracha Style|
|Price||Rs 22/-||Rs 80/-||Rs 80/-|
|Main Ingredients||Water, Sugar, Tomato Paste (12%), Red Chilli Puree (6.6%), Iodized Salt, Red Chilli Powder (0.3%), Dried Garlic Powder, Dried Ginger Powder.||Water, Sugar, Red Chilli Puree (14%), Tomato Paste (10%), Iodized Salt, Red Chilli Powder (1.2%), Dried Garlic Powder (0.3%), Dried Ginger Powder.||Sugar, Water, Tomato Paste (16%), Sriracha Chilli Puree (Red Chilli (6%), Sriracha Chilli (0.7%), Red Chilli Puree (6%), Iodized Salt, Garlic Powder (1.4%), Ginger Powder.|
|Shelf Life||Eight months from manufacture||Eight months from manufacture||Eight months from manufacture|
|Net Quantity||100 grams||300 grams||300 grams|
1. Tomato Chilli
The packaging of all three sauces we tried is identical. They come in easy-pour pouches and a twist lid for convenient storage.
Visually, this variant had a deep red appearance. This had a rich, thick consistency. That said, it was still flowy and easy to serve.
Of all three variants we tasted, this was the least spicy. It showcased balanced tangy and spicy flavors with a prominent sweetness.
- A 100-gram pouch is priced at Rs 22.
- This holds 10 serves.
- One tablespoon offers 14 Kcal.
- This has a shelf life of eight months.
- Main Ingredients- Water, Sugar, Tomato Paste (12%), Red Chilli Puree (6.6%), Iodized Salt, Red Chilli Powder (0.3%), Dried Garlic Powder, Dried Ginger Powder.
- We appreciate the resealable pack.
- This makes for a versatile dip.
- The flavors are well-rounded.
- It is a budget-friendly buy.
Best Suited For
Medium spice tolerance? This Maggi Hot & Spicy variant may be the one for you. It is primarily on the sweeter side with the typical tomato tanginess and subtle spiciness.
2. Extra Hot Tomato Chilli
In a similar pouch packing, this is a 300-gram variant that holds 33 serves in one. Similarly, the appearance has very minute differences when compared with the first variant.
However, in terms of consistency, this Hot & Sweet sauce is relatively more flowy. But this isn’t diluted or watered-down in any way.
This variant has been labelled very aptly, ‘extra hot’. We expected a spice kick a notch higher, and that is exactly what we got. Comparing this variant to the first, the prime difference between the two is the extra hit of chilli. Although the chilli kick isn’t too intense such that it would burn your throat or get your eyes watery, it makes its presence felt prominently.
- A 300-gram pack holding 33 serves is priced at Rs 80.
- This has a shelf life of eight months.
- A serving (9 grams) has 11 Kcal.
- Main Ingredients- Water, Sugar, Red Chilli Puree (14%), Tomato Paste (10%), Iodized Salt, Red Chilli Powder (1.2%), Dried Garlic Powder (0.3%), Dried Ginger Powder.
- This justifies the ‘extra hot’ tag.
- The consistency and flavors are pretty decent.
- Economical value and convenience are the same as above.
Best Suited For
If you’re looking for a sauce that has a proportionate blend of both sweet and spicy flavors, this could be something you’d like. This is meant for people with higher chili tolerance levels.
3. Sriracha Style
This variant has an even deeper, darker red-brown appearance. Smooth and flowy best describe the consistency.
Hands down the spiciest of the three, this variant packs a punch of flavors. With a dominant spice lent by Sriracha chillies, the second most prominent flavor is that of garlic. The sweetness and tang that tomato ketchup is known for also has a desirable presence. Despite sugar being the first ingredient, this doesn’t feel overly sweet.
All in all, the Sriracha chillies bring a lovely, fiery heat that marries all other flavors really well.
- Quantity, number of servings, price, and shelf life are the same as above.
- It is recommended to be consumed within three months of opening.
- A 9-gram serving has 10 Kcal.
- Main Ingredients- Sugar, Water, Tomato Paste (16%), Sriracha Chilli Puree (Red Chilli (6%), Sriracha Chilli (0.7%), Red Chilli Puree (6%), Iodized Salt, Garlic Powder (1.4%), Ginger Powder.
- The heat chillies are known for, boldly makes a presence.
- We like the prominent garlic flavor.
- Salt, sugar, and tang are well-balanced, making this a deletable sauce.
Best Suited For
Tired of the same old chilly sauce? This Hot & Sweet sauce is SPICY with a subtle sweetness and tanginess.
Our Top Picks & Recommendations
Hot, bold, and spicy, Maggi Hot & Sweet Sriracha Sauce is a prominently chilli-flavored dip that has a bold garlic flavor with subtle notes of sweetness and tanginess.
We recommend the Hot & Sweet Tomato sauce for those with a low-medium spice tolerance and the Extra Hot variant for individuals with a medium spice tolerance.
Maggi Hot & Sweet sauces have a lip-smacking taste! These sauces justify the name tags of each variant exceptionally well. The pouch packs further uplift the overall rating.
Rich in consistency and easy spreadability, Maggi Hot & Sweet sauces go well with most snacks and meals like finger foods, starters, parathas, besan cheela, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Maggi hot & sweet sauces.
1. Is Maggi hot and sweet sauce healthy to consume?
Like we always say, consumption of packaged food must be limited.
2. Does this sauce require refrigeration after unpacking?
Yes, you must store this under refrigeration at 3-8 degrees celsius.
3. Can Maggi hot and sweet sauces be used for preparing pastas and pizzas?
Yes, definitely. You can add the sauces to your homemade pizza-pasta sauce for that extra kick.
4. Do these sauces contain preservatives?
Yes, all variants contain preservative 211. It is commonly added in acidic foods and beverages.
5. Are the sauces vegetarian?
Yes, all Maggi Hot & Sweet sauces are 100% vegetarian.
More Sauces We've Reviewed
*If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.