Mccain Veggie Fingers Review – Tasty & Crispy Frozen Snack
We liked the fresh taste of vegetables and the crunch of the McCain Veggie Fingers. This would pair well with a variety of sauces and dips.
Started by the McCain brothers in Florenceville, New Brunswick, Canada in 1957, this frozen food company is vastly popular for its signature frozen French fries.
McCain has a vast range of vegetarian frozen snacks in India including aloo tikki, chilli cheese snacks, cheese samosa, masala fries, and much more. We reviewed the McCain Veggie Fingers in our test kitchen for various aspects. In our McCain Veggie Fingers Review, we discuss the price, ingredients used to make this frozen snack, its taste, texture, and crunch level.
Do these veggie fingers win us over or are they avoidable? Here is all that you need to know!
Mccain Veggie Fingers – Everything You Need To Know
What are the ingredients that go into the making of McCain Veggie Fingers? Are those vegetables fresh-tasting? Is this frozen snack tasty? Does it have a significant crunch? We find it all in our detailed review.
The ingredients in the McCain Veggie Fingers are – Vegetables (70%: Potato, Carrot, Peas, Sweet corn), Bread crumbs (Wheat flour, yeast, edible common salt, permitted class II preservative, antioxidant), Palm oil, Batter (Wheat flour, Corn starch, Cornflour, Edible common salt, Thickener), Rice flakes, Cornflour, Edible common salt, Spices and condiments, Parsley.
2. Price And Packaging
The McCain Veggie Fingers come in the standard McCain red color pouch pack. A 400 gm bag (Our bag has 400 + 100 gm extra) is priced at Rs 115/-. This bag had approximately 20 veggie fingers.
3. Nutrition Facts
As per the information given on the pack –
|Nutrient||McCain Veggie Fingers|
|Total Fat (g)||7.01|
|Saturated Fat (g)||3.27|
|Trans Fat (g)||<0.2|
Do note that this is a frozen snack and is not meant for regular consumption. It is meant as a convenient alternative for when you don’t want to cook or have unannounced company.
4. Available Sizes
The McCain Veggie Fingers comes in three sizes –
- The 175-gram pouch pack is priced at Rs 49/-.
- The 400-gram pouch pack is priced at Rs 115/-.
- If looking to bulk buy, some shops and sites also sell 1 kg packs which are priced at Rs 230/-.
5. Method of Preparation
As per the pack, there is no requirement to thaw the veggie fingers. You can just take them out of the freezer and cook. The veggie fingers can be cooked using two methods – deep frying and baking.
We made the McCain Veggie Fingers by deep-frying them in regular vegetable oil. We did not thaw them and deep-fried the snack on medium heat until golden brown in color.
6. Texture, Color And Crunch
In their raw form, the McCain Veggie Fingers are thick sticks that are coated evenly with breadcrumbs. They are uniform in shape and none of the pieces were broken or damaged.
After frying, these veggie fingers turned a deep golden brown in color. They cooked evenly.
The texture of the veggie fingers is extremely crunchy on the outside. We liked that these are not over breaded. Even after cooling down, these did not become limp or
The potatoes and veggies cooked well on the inside. We liked that the potatoes are not a big mash, but are a little chunky. This gave the snack a very nice, firm bite.
What could we see in these snacks? While this is a potato snack primarily, we could see a lot of brightly colored vegetables like corn, peas, and carrots. These veggies are not proportionally added. While some ‘fingers’ were loaded, some only had a bit or two. We could also see generous green specs of parsley.
A frozen snack packs in a lot of conveniences, but most frozen snacks lack that flavor punch we need. So, are the McCain Veggie Fingers tasty?
The McCain Veggie Fingers are deliciously seasoned with the correct texture inside and outside. The veggies in this snack taste fresh and are bright to look at.
These veggie fingers are not spicy or overloaded with masalas which makes it great for people with a low chili tolerance. For others, you will definitely need to dip it in ketchup, a spicy condiment, or even a herb mayonnaise.
|McCain Veggie Fingers||Product Information|
|McCain Veggie Fingers Price||Rs 115/-|
|Net weight||400 gm|
|Shelf life||18 months from manufacturing|
|Ingredients||Vegetables (70%: Potato, Carrot, Peas, Sweet corn), Bread crumbs (Wheat flour, yeast, edible common salt, permitted class II preservative, antioxidant), Palm oil, Batter (Wheat flour, Corn starch, Corn flour, Edible common salt, Thickener), Rice flakes, Corn flour, Edible common salt, Spices and condiments, Parsley.|
|Energy (per 1oo gms)||McCain veggie fingers calories – 181.21 Kcal|
|Flavor and texture|| |
|Available Sizes||McCain Veggie Fingers 1kg pack |
McCain Veggie Fingers 400g
McCain Veggie Fingers 175 gram
Mccain Veggie Fingers Review – Let’s Decode
Our Mccain Veggie Fingers review discusses the taste, texture, and method of preparation of this frozen snack. We also discuss the pros and cons of the veggie fingers along with usage and target audience.
A 400-gram bag of McCain veggie Fingers are priced at Rs 115/-. We noticed that the ‘fingers’ are even and uniform in shape and size which surely helps maximize the overall experience of the snack while serving it to guests.
The seasoning of this snack is balanced and the spice levels are low, making it the perfect frozen snack option for children and people who do not like spicy food.
This can be paired with a number of condiments like ketchup, chilli sauce, herbed mayonnaise, mustard, and even a schezwan chutney.
- A 400 gm pack is priced at Rs 115/-.
- The pack is not resealable.
- You do not need to thaw this frozen snack before cooking.
- These can be cooked using two ways – deep frying and baking.
- Shelf life – 18 months from manufacturing
- 100 gms of the McCain veggie fingers provide 181.21 Kcal of energy.
- The list of ingredients includes – Vegetables (70%: Potato, Carrot, Peas, Sweet corn), Bread crumbs (Wheat flour, yeast, edible common salt, permitted class II preservative, antioxidant), Palm oil, Batter (Wheat flour, Corn starch, Corn flour, Edible common salt, Thickener), Rice flakes, Corn flour, Edible common salt, Spices and condiments, Parsley.
- The shape and size of the veggie fingers is uniform.
- The veggie fingers cooked evenly.
- They cooked well from the inside as well.
- The vegetables taste fresh and are adequately present.
- We liked the chunky cuts of potatoes inside the veggie fingers.
Best Suited For
The product is best suited for people who are looking for vegetarian snacks in the frozen food department. This is a kid-friendly snack with a decent amount of vegetables.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on McCain veggie fingers.
1. Are the McCain Veggie Fingers vegetarian?
Yes, McCain Veggie Fingers are 100% vegetarian.
2. How long do veggie fingers take to cook?
The McCain Veggie Fingers took around 3 minutes to cook evenly and achieve a golden brown color. We used the deep frying method to cook these.
3. How many pieces are there in 1 bag of McCain Veggie Fingers?
In our bag of 500 gm veggie fingers (400 gms + 100 gm extra), we received approximately 20 pieces of these frozen snacks.
4. What is the shelf life of McCain Veggie Fingers?
As per information on the pack, McCain veggie Fingers have a shelf life of 18 months from the date of manufacture.
5. Do I need to thaw them before cooking?
No. McCain Veggie Fingers need not be thawed before cooking.
Summary – McCain Veggie Fingers Review
From the fresh-tasting vegetables, chunky texture of the potatoes, and the pronounced crunch of the breaded exterior – we liked the McCain Veggie Fingers a lot. This is also suitable for people with a low chili tolerance and even children.
Have you tried McCain frozen foods yet? Which is your favorite potato-based snack from McCain? Comment in the section below!
More Frozen Snacks That You Will Love!
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.