Paper Boat Buttermilk Review – We Tried Four Variants
We tried all four variants of the Paper Boat Buttermilk – Jeera, Coriander, Pudina and Southern Masala. Are these fresh and flavorful?
Buttermilk, chaas or chaach is a refreshing summer cooler that is extremely popular in India. This beverage is made using curd (dahi) whisked with spices and herbs like cumin, mustard seeds, black salt, mint and coriander. Unlike lassi, this isn’t a thick dairy based beverage. It has a very thin consistency that makes for the perfect summer drink.
Paper Boat, a brand that plays around nostalgia related to iconic Indian beverages and snacks has introduced a series of buttermilk as well. In our Paper Boat Buttermilk review we tried all four flavors – Jeera, Coriander, Pudina and Southern Masala. These are enriched with Vitamin D. Let’s learn more about the nutritive value, ingredients and flavor.
Paper Boat Buttermilk Variants
Paper Boat Buttermilk – Everything You Need To Know
In this section we discuss the available variants of the Paper Boat buttermilk, main ingredients and nutritional information.
1. Available Variants
Paper Boat Buttermilk comes in four variants –
- Jeera (Cumin)
- Southern Masala
- Pudina (Mint)
2. Available Sizes
These come in a single size – 250 ml each.
3. Main Ingredients
The main ingredients that usually go into a buttermilk include water and curd. The curd used to make the buttermilks is made using double toned milk.
The seasonings differ from flavor to flavor.
All the variants are packaged attractively in single use packs. The packaging is very travel friendly.
5. Nutritional Information
There are no added colors and preservatives in the Paper Boat Buttermilk. These are enriched with Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D. This food by nature is gluten-free.
A small note on the back of the buttermilk states – “This pack contains 50% of your daily Vitamin D and Vitamin B 12 requirements. Inspite of how delicious this drink is, we advise you not to drink more than two packs a day, as this would exceed your daily required value. Remember you are also exposed to other vitamin sources, example, the big bright sun for vitamin D. So, consume wisely and stay healthy.”
Here is a detailed nutrition chart of all the four variants –
|Nutritive Value||Jeera||Coriander||Pudina||Southern Masala|
|Energy (per 100 ml)||21.0 Kcal||20.6 Kcal||20.6 Kcal||21.0 Kcal|
|Carbohydrates||2.5 gm||2.4 gm||2.4 gm||2.5 gm|
|Added Sugar||0.0 gm||0.0 gm||0.0 gm||0.0 gm|
|Protein||1.4 gm||1.4 gm||1.4 gm||1.4 gm|
|Fat||0.6 gm||0.6 gm||0.6 gm||0.6 gm|
|Calcium||51 mg||51 mg||51 mg||51 mg|
|Vitamin D||2.0 mcg||2.0 mcg||2.0 mcg||2.0 mcg|
|Vitamin B12||0.2 mcg||0.2 mcg||0.2 mcg||0.2 mcg|
Paper Boat Buttermilk – Our Review Factors
We gauged all the four flavors of Paper Boat Buttermilk using the following parameters –
Buttermilks aren’t supposed to be extremely thick. They usually have a flowy consistency which can be adjusted as per your liking.
We wanted to check how thick or flowy the consistency of the buttermilk was. Is it creamy or does it feel too watered down?
2. Flavor and Freshness
How fresh does the buttermilk taste and smell? Does the curd taste sour? Can we taste the spices/herbs mentioned on the pack? During our blind tasting session, could we detect them? Is it oversalted?
Which ingredients are used to make the buttermilk? Does it contain any preservatives, colors or synthetic flavors?
Is the product value for money? Do the ingredients used justify the pricing?
Paper Boat Buttermilk Flavours – Detailed Review
Here is a comparison table of all the Paper Boat Buttermilk flavors –
|Price||Rs 30/-||Rs 30/-||Rs 30/-||Rs 30/-|
|Net weight||250 ml||250 ml||250 ml||250 ml|
|Shelf life||180 days||180 days||180 days||180 days|
|Main Spice Percentage||Cumin powder, Black pepper powder and coriander powder – 0.15%||Coriander leaves – 0.01%||Dried mint herb – 0.1%||Spices and condiments (green chilli paste, curry leaf powder and asafoetida) – 0.24%|
#1 Coriander Buttermilk
Coriander and buttermilk are a fairly popular combination which is often paired with green chillies.
When we poured the buttermilk in a glass, we noticed that the beverage had a medium-thick consistency. Bits of coriander leaves could be seen floating around which settled at the bottom. Even though it’s not too thick, there is a slight creaminess to it.
Paper Boat’s Coriander Buttermilk is refreshing and delicious. It has a defined yet subtle coriander flavor which is further enhanced with a mild green chilli kick. The buttermilk is not oversalted.
- Ingredients – Water, Curd (40%) [Double toned milk and bacterial culture], Iodised salt, Stabiliser, Spices and condiments (0.07%) [Curry leaves powder and coriander powder], Curry leaves, Coriander leaves (0.01%), Vitamin D2 and Vitamin B 12.
- Contains added flavor.
- No preservatives or colors.
- The flavor of coriander buttermilk
- The mild chilli kick is delicious.
- The consistency is balanced. It’s neither too thin nor too thick.
Best Suited For
People looking for a refreshing non-fizzy summer cooler, the buttermilks by Paper Boat are a delicious option.
#2 Pudina Buttermilk
Mint and buttermilk are a vastly popular combination that is extremely cooling and aids digestion. Paper Boat’s Pudina Buttermilk has a cooling menthol-like aroma, characteristic of dried mint powder.
Consistency wise, this is similar to the coriander variant. This buttermilk variant has a fresh minty flavor with balanced salt levels.
- Priced at Rs 30/- for 250 ml.
- The shelf life of the product is 180 days.
- Ingredients – Water, Curd (40%) [Double toned milk and bacterial culture], Seasoning [Dried mint herb (0.1%)], Stabiliser (pectin), Iodised salt, Vitamin D2 [Ergocalciferol] and Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin).
- Contains added flavor
- Shake well, serve chilled.
- Delicious mint flavor.
- It is not over-salted.
#3 Jeera Buttermilk
Bhuna jeera (roasted cumin seeds) is the most used spice to flavor a plain glass of buttermilk. Bhuna jeera is extremely aromatic and lends a very smoky, nutty flavor to buttermilk.
The cumin flavor showcases itself brilliantly in this buttermilk variant. While we loved this flavor, it is a very regular/common tasting buttermilk. It’s not something you’ve not tasted before. Surely a good option for people who like to play it safe when it comes to flavors.
- The price, shelf life, and net weight are the same as above mentioned variants.
- Ingredients – Water, Curd (40%), Iodised salt, Stabiliser, Spices and condiments (0.15%) [Cumin powder, pepper black powder and coriander powder], Vitamin D 2 and Vitamin B 12.
The bhuna jeera flavor is well-rounded and delicious.
#4 Southern Masala Buttermilk
Consistency wise, the Southern Masala Buttermilk is similar to the other variants. There was no dominant aroma in this one. Sadly, we did not like the Southern Masala Buttermilk as much as we liked all the other flavors. During our blind tasting session, we could not decipher which spices and herbs were used to flavor this buttermilk.
The flavor of curry leaves or asafoetida went unnoticeable. We do not recommend this variant.
- The shelf life, net weight and price of the Southern Masala Buttermilk is the same as all the other variants.
- Ingredients – Water, Curd (40%), Iodised salt, Stabiliser, Spices and condiments (0.24%) [Green chilli paste, Curry leaf powder and Asafoetida], Curry leaves (0.01%), Coriander leaves, Vitamin D 2 and Vitamin B 12.
- We could not detect the flavor of any spices or herbs.
Our Top Picks & Recommendations
We loved the fresh flavors and the medium-thin consistency of the buttermilks by Paper Boat. Our favorites include coriander and jeera buttermilk. The Coriander Buttermilk by Paper Boat is refreshing and has a mild chilli kick. Paper Boat’s Jeera buttermilk has a familiar flavor which is delicious. It’s not something we haven’t tried before, but flavorful nonetheless.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Paper Boat Buttermilk.
1. Is Paper Boat Buttermilk good for health?
While nothing comes close to a homemade buttermilk, Paper Boat’s Buttermilks are enriched with Vitamin D and Vitamin B12. They do not contain any added colors or preservatives.
The brand advises not to consume more than 2 packs of these buttermilks per day as the daily vitamin D and B12 intake can exceed.
2. What is the price of Paper Boat Buttermilk?
A single 250 ml pack is priced at Rs 30/-.
3. How many calories are in this buttermilk?
On an average, 100 ml of the Paper Boat Buttermilk provides 20-21 Kcal of energy.
4. Which vitamins are in Paper Boat Buttermilk?
The buttermilks are enriched with Vitamin D and Vitamin B12.
The range of Paper Boat’s Buttermilks are refreshing and are true to their specified flavor. The consistency is just perfect and it doesn’t feel very heavy on the tummy, like some packaged dairy-based beverages can. These are smooth buttermilks, and unlike a homemade chaas, it doesn’t have those small pockets of curd (फुटकी).
From the convenient travel-friendly packaging to the perfect seasoning, we liked the range of buttermilks by Paper Boat. We do not recommend the Southern Masala variant.
Which Paper Boat products have you tried before? Let us know about your experience in the comment section.
More Reviews Related To Paper Boat Buttermilk
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.