Prestige Omega Deluxe Granite Dosa Tawa Review
Prestige Dosa Tawa gave us perfectly browned, crisp dosas each time. The sturdy and comfortable grip is another plus!
As a hearty breakfast or a wholesome meal, dosas are undoubtedly one of the most soul-satisfying delicacies one can indulge in. Crisp dosas, steaming sambhar, and a spoonful of cold coconut chutney- a flavorful blend of carbohydrates, fats, and protein!
Just like the right ratio of dal to rice is essential for the batter, using the right cookware for making these ‘fermented rice pancakes’ holds equal significance. Typically, a flat tawa made of cast iron is used for dosas. The open edges of such cookware ensure easy flipping while reducing the chances of overcooking the dosa.
Recommended for staple Indian breakfast options like dosas and cheelas, we ordered the Prestige Omega Deluxe Granite dosa tawa to prepare this South Indian creation in our test kitchen. Is the non-stick coating functional? Are the raised edges helpful or are they a hassle?
Find out this and more in Team Mishry’s Prestige Granite Dosa Tawa review.
Prestige Omega Deluxe Granite Dosa Tawa – Everything You Need To Know
Consumers prefer and companies manufacture non-stick cookware as it is much easier to work with. With hassle-free cleaning and maintenance (as food does not stick as easily to such surfaces), non-stick cookware does not require oil/butter, making the meals relatively lower in calories. And with something as delicate as dosas, ensuring the shape and thickness are uniform throughout adds to the overall challenge of preparing well-cooked, crisp dosas.
Though non-stick tawas are intended to eliminate the use of oil/butter, we used a minimal quantity of the same for our Prestige Granite Dosa Tawa review. Without adding oil, the dosa would’ve looked uncooked and not as brown as we’d like.
This dosa tawa comes completely wrapped in a plastic bag. It is further packed inside a box. Unlike cookware available in recent times that come with detachable handles, the handle on this one were fixed and felt sturdy.
A warranty card was included in the box.
This non-stick dosa tawa is made of aluminum.
3. Layers of Coating and Finishing of the Tawa
The coating and finishing of this tawa are among its unique features. This pan has five layers of coating which enhances its durability by three times as compared to other non-stick cookware. These layers are top coat, reinforced spatter coat x 2, intermediate coat, and base coat.
In terms of finish, this tawa has a granite coating. There is a spatter pattern on the surface which helps retain newness after multiple uses.
Prestige dosa tawa has a 250 mm diameter. This is adequate for preparing medium-sized dosas.
The dimensions are 35.5 x 22.9 x 2.5 cm.
As mentioned on the box, this tawa is recommended for dosas and cheelas. You can also prepare other batter-based meals/snacks like pancakes, crepes, omelettes etc.
6. Available Sizes
We purchased the 250 mm variant for our Prestige omega deluxe granite dosa tawa review. Similar tawas in larger 280 and 300 mm sizes are offered by the brand too.
This is priced at INR 1020. We think for the features and overall quality of the product, the price is justified.
A two-year warranty comes with this product.
This is a lightweight pan. It weighs a little over 500 g.
10. Safety Information
This tawa can be used over a gas or induction cooktop. It is compatible with both. Additionally, it can also be washed in a dishwasher.
However, this is not oven-safe.
This non-stick tawa is metal spoon-friendly too.
Prestige Omega Deluxe Granite Dosa Tawa- Detailed Review
Everything you need to know about Prestige Granite Dosa Tawa has been discussed in this section of the review.
|Parameters||Prestige Granite Dosa Tawa|
|Dimension||35.6 x 22.9 x 2.5 cm|
|Color||Black with a white spatter pattern|
For reviewing Prestige Dosa Tawa, we tried preparing a few dosas on it. We used the idli/dosa batter from a local brand.
We poured a ladleful of the batter and once the batter had taken shape and we could see the edges coming off the surface of the pan, we tried folding the sides in the center. The folding-over process flowed smoothly, no batter was stuck to the base of the pan!
However, the dosa didn’t turn as brown as we’d like it to be. If we waited for it to become darker, our dosa would’ve turned papad-like crispy. Instead, we added a minimal quantity of oil for color and some crispiness.
Talking about the handle of this dosa tawa. After using this over weeks, we can say it’s excellent! When we took the pan out of the box, the handle felt sturdy and secure. The rivets are strong and hold the handle well. If you plan to bring out your inner chef and single-handedly flip some pancakes, this handle would stay intact.
Even during and after cooking, the handle did not become hot. Thumbs up!
The only issue we had with Prestige Dosa Tawa was the steel parts of it turning brown after each use. The rim of the pan (not coated) and the piece of steel connecting the handle to the main pan had become darker.
Following are some more details on this Prestige tawa.
- This non-stick tawa has five layers of coating.
- It is PFOA-free.
- It is from the TTK range of products by Prestige.
- It is priced at INR 1020.
- This tawa comes in three sizes, from 250-300 mm.
- It has a two-year warranty.
- The handle is sturdily attached to the pan.
- The handle does not retain heat and can be handled without a washcloth.
- The tawa is quite lightweight.
- It is compatible with both induction and stove cooktops.
- It is dishwasher-safe which makes it easy to clean.
- The perforated handle reduces the storage space needed as you can hang the pan vertically.
- We like the spatter print on the surface.
- There were no scratches on the surface even when we used a metal spatula.
- The non-stick coat lasts long as compared to other brands.
- The tawa has raised edges that may not be as user-friendly.
- After the first use, the steel parts turned brown.
Best Suited For
Prestige dosa tawa has a five-layer non-stick coating. In addition to dosas, you can prepare other snacks like pancakes, crepes, suji cheela, etc. The non-stick coating is superior.
The rivets and handles are sturdy too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Prestige Non-Stick Granite Dosa Tawa
1. Is this tawa gas and induction compatible?
Yes, this tawa can be used on gas as well as induction cooktops.
2. Is this Prestige tawa dishwasher safe?
Yes, the dosa tawa by Prestige is dishwasher-safe. We used it in our Bosch dishwasher.
3. What is the durability of the granite coating of this tawa?
The scratch-resistant granite coating on this Prestige dosa tawa is long-lasting.
4. Can I use this dosa tawa to make rotis as well?
This tawa is recommended for batter-based preparations like dosa, cheela, pancakes, etc. Additionally, it can be used for roti, parathas, stuffed parathas too.
5. Is this product metal spoon-friendly?
Yes, this tawa has a granite coating which makes it metal spoon-friendly. We prepared dosas using a metal spoon and there were no scratches on the surface.
Perfectly crisp dosas were what we wanted and perfectly crisp dosas are what we got! Prestige dosa tawa is a decent product.
It is lightweight, easy to use, and easy to clean. This tawa is equipped with five layers of non-stick coating and a sturdy perforated handle. The granite-finish coating and the spatter design are other commendable features.
The raised edges on this tawa may be a hindrance to some individuals. That said, the base and the pan to handle attachment (both made of steel) had turned brown after the first use.
Do you like dosas better or uttapams? Let us know in the comment section below.
More Kitchen Tools Reviews
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.