Snickers Chocolate Bar Review – Almond & Butterscotch Flavor
Why did we not like the combination of chocolate, caramel, nougat, and nuts? What went wrong with these Snickers chocolate bars?
Peanuts infused in decadent, chewy layers of chocolate, nougat, and caramel- it has to be the globally-loved Snickers! Since peanuts offer good quality fats and plant protein, this chocolate bar makes for a satisfying snack occasionally.
In addition to the OG bar, Snickers has been playing around with ingredients to add newer flavors, textures, and innovation to the already loved chocolate bar. One of the first new launches, Snickers Fruit & Nut chocolate was not on par with the original.
The brand further introduced Almond and Butterscotch variants. Excited, we set out to find whether the newcomers meet our expectations. Read Team Mishry’s Snickers chocolate bar review to find out!
Snickers Chocolate Bars – Variants We Tried
Snickers Chocolate Bars – Everything You Need To Know
This section discusses all you need to know about Snickers chocolate bars.
1. Available Flavours
Snickers chocolates are available in four variants in India.
- Original (Peanut)
- Original (Peanut) (eggless)
- Fruit & Nut
2. Available Sizes
Almond and Original are available in net quantities of 22 and 45 grams.
Butterscotch comes in bars of 40 grams.
Original is also available as 10-gram miniatures.
3. Price Range
Almond and Butterscotch are priced at Rs 25 for 22-gram bars.
4. Shelf Life
These bars have a shelf life of 10 months from manufacture.
Snickers Almond is packed in a beige wrapper and Butterscotch comes in a vibrant ocher-colored wrapper.
6. Nutritional Information
A 22-gram bar offers approximately 100 Kcal.
Snickers Chocolate Bars – Our Review Factors
The quantity, freshness, and crunch of nuts were the prime parameters of this review. We also gauged these chocolate bars on how the chocolate tasted, did it or did it not complement the overall flavor.
1. Main Ingredients
Chocolate, nougat, caramel, and nuts are the main ingredients that go in the making of this bar. But what about the quantity and quality?
Do the nuts taste fresh? Is the sweetness balanced? What taste is more prominent, chocolate, caramel, or nougat?
Do the nuts lend a roasted flavor? What dominates the flavor profile, peanuts or almonds? Any synthetic or artificial tastes?
Do the nuts retain their crunch? Or have they turned soggy? Do caramel and nougat lend that chewiness?
Related Reading- Hershey’s Chocolate Bars
Snickers Chocolate Bar Flavours – Detailed Review
|Price||Rs 25||Rs 25|
|Calories (100 g)||491 Kcal||501 Kcal|
|Nutritional Information (100 g)||Protein- 7.1 g, carbohydrates- 61 g (50.3 g sugar), fat- 24.3 g||Protein- 9.9 g, carbohydrates- 56 g (47.6 g sugar), fat- 26.6 g|
|Shelf Life||10 months||10 months|
This bar emitted a lovely, chocolatey aroma as we opened the pack. Visually, the bar looks chunky. Like Snickers chocolates usually are, the bottom surface has a checkered pattern.
Before tasting, we wanted to see how the bar looked from inside. Were the chocolate, caramel, and nougat layers separated? Chunky bits of almonds or tiny, what was added? In the cross-sectional view (see image), we can see a layer of chocolate, stuffed with a filling of caramel and nougat. Some almond bits were also visible.
In terms of texture, the typical chewiness Snickers chocolates are relished for was present here. The coarse almond bits add a nice texture too.
That said, this was a let-down taste-wise. Almonds with caramel and nougat is a combination that just didn’t work. Maybe if the almonds tasted fresh, we would have enjoyed the bar. Snickers Almond isn’t as sweet as a regular chocolate bar would be, but no complaints about the level of sugar.
- A 22-gram bar is priced at Rs 25/-.
- It has a shelf life of 10 months from manufacture.
- Main Ingredients- Milk Chocolate Coating (35%)- Sugar, Milk Solids, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Solids, Lactose, Dextrose, Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin), Ethyl Vanillin; Centre Filling (65%)- Glucose Syrup, Almonds, Sugar, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Palm Oil), Milk Solids, Salt, Lactose, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Solids, Dextrose, Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin), Ethyl Vanillin.
- This is mildly sweet.
- The almonds are not soggy and add a pleasing crunchy texture.
- The almonds taste rancid.
- The overall combination of ingredients does not work.
Packed similarly, the appearance of both Snickers variants is almost identical. Following the same review process, we broke the bar in half and saw a rich, golden-hued, gooey fluid oozing out. Tiny bits of peanuts were seen too.
Unfortunately, similar to the initial experience, this variant was not up to the mark too. The peanuts tasted rancid and when combined with butterscotch and chocolate, they brought it down completely.
Compared to Almonds, Butterscotch was sweeter but the peanuts balanced it out. Moreover, it had an artificial taste.
- Net weight, price, shelf life are the same as above.
- The peanuts balance out the sweetness.
- There is some artificial flavor in this chocolate bar.
- The peanuts are not fresh, they taste rancid.
Our Top Picks & Recommendations
Unfortunately, neither of the two Snickers chocolates did it for us. While one was laced with an artificial taste, both variants showcased rancid tasting nuts.
Definitely not decadent, these Snickers chocolates were disappointing. Whether it was the industrial taste or the stale nuts, our Team collectively did not like these chocolate bars.
What’s your go-to answer to cravings? Plain chocolates or nutty ones?
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Snickers chocolate bars.
1. Are chocolate bars healthy to consume?
No, the quantity of sugar per bar is quite high. However, occasional and moderate consumption should be fine.
2. Are chocolate bars gluten-free food items?
Although the ingredient list does not mention the use of any gluten products, these chocolate bars are not certified gluten-free.
3. Do the bars require refrigeration after unpacking?
Best consumed immediately after opening, you can place the chocolate under refrigeration.
4. Do these bars contain additional sweeteners?
Yes, Snickers is sweetened with dextrose and glucose syrup.
5. Do these bars contain preservatives?
Yes, soy lecithin that is primarily an emulsifier is also a mild preservative.
More Chocolates We've Reviewed
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.