Tata Sampann Supergrain Ragi Dosa Mix Review – With Over 50% Ragi Flour
Three reasons why you should try Tata Sampann’s Ragi Dosa Mix – It is fiber-rich, delicious and super easy to make.
Reintroducing millets to our diets can be challenging. Especially because our taste buds are spoilt for choice with fast food and instant meals that offer a large variety.
Millets, a powerhouse of nutrients, are often termed as boring when it comes to flavor. Thanks to the many brands that are now making millet-based snacks and instant mixes, consuming them doesn’t seem so dull. Convenient and easy millet-based dosa mixes, pancakes, cakes and even noodles are available in the market.
We picked the Tata Sampann Ragi dosa mix for testing. Our Tata Sampann Supergrain Ragi Dosa Mix review explores the product for its price, packaging, and convenience. Taste and texture of the dosa are prime parameters as well.
Tata Sampann Ragi Dosa Mix – Everything You Need To Know
Here is all that you need to know about the Tata Sampann supergrain ragi dosa mix.
Tata Sampann’s Ragi Dosa Mix comes in a purple-maroon colored pouch pack. The pack is not resealable.
2. Main Ingredients
The ingredients include – Ragi Flour (52%), Black Gram Flour (16%), Rice flour, refined wheat flour (maida), Bengal gram flour, Iodized salt (Anticaking agent (INS 536)), Fenugreek powder (0.6%), Acidity regulator (INS 296), raising agent (INS 500 (ii)), Cumin powder (0.2%)
Ragi, by nature, has a very earthy, nutty taste which also lends a grey-brown shade to the dish it is added to.
There are a few things we loved about the taste of this dosa. It is well-seasoned and there is no need to add any masala from the top. It is not spicy, so the option of giving it to children is also open.
4. Texture And Appearance
Millet flours are not superfine, like refined flours and have a comparatively coarser texture. So the dosa will also have a granier texture as a result.
The dry powder of this dosa mix is in earthy tones and looks like a fine powder. But when you actually feel it between your fingers, it has a slight coarseness to it.
Despite having 52% ragi flour, the dosa is not hard or rubbery. It has a soft texture and has crisped up well from the edges.
A 180 gram pack is priced at Rs 70/-.
6. Shelf Life
The shelf life is 7 months.
7. Nutritional Information
As per the information on the pack, 100 grams of this mix provides 345 Kcal of energy, 11 grams of protein, and 1.7 grams of fat. It provides 71.7 grams of carbohydrates, out of which total sugar is 0.1 grams. The dietary fiber content is 12.9 grams.
The fiber content is higher than the regular dosa mix we reviewed by Tata Sampann.
8. Cooking Process
As per the instructions given on the pack –
- Add 1 measure to 1 ½ measure of water. Mix and make a batter.
- Keep aside for 3 minutes.
- Gently spread the batter on a hot tawa, using a medium flame.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to the sides.
- Roast till golden brown on medium flame. Serve hot.
Tata Sampann Ragi Dosa Mix – Detailed Review
Details about Tata Sampann’s Ragi Dosa Mix –
|Net weight||180 grams|
|Yield (as per the pack)||9 dosas of 30 gram each|
|Shelf life||7 months|
|Buy on Amazon||Add To Cart|
The ratio of dry powder to water given in the instructions makes a very thin batter, so we adjusted the consistency by using a smaller quantity of water. As ragi takes longer to cook than regular/rice flour-based dosas, make sure you let it cook well on one side before flipping. Make sure you cook it on medium flame.
The batter making process and the cooking is very simplified and we love it. This is hassle free and can be done in three easy steps. All you need from your pantry is a source of fat. We appreciate the well-seasoned, nutty tasting ragi dosas this yielded.
- A 180 gram pack is priced at Rs 70/-.
- The shelf life is 7 months.
- The main ingredients include (Top 5) – Ragi Flour, Black Gram Flour, Rice flour, Refined wheat flour, Bengal gram flour
- No added colors and preservatives.
- Store in a cool dry place.
- Do not purchase if the pack is open, punctured or tampered with.
- The dosa batter and dosas are easy to prepare.
- It is very well seasoned. There is no need to add extra salt.
- We liked the prominent earthy, nutty taste of ragi.
- The texture of dosa is soft and the edges have crisped up well.
Best Suited For
Want to introduce millets to your diet and looking for a convenient, delicious way to do so? Tata Sampann’s Ragi Dosa Mix is a good way to start. It can be paired with a multitude of flavorful chutneys and sauces.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Tata Sampann Supergrain Ragi Dosa Mix.
1. How many dosas can be prepared in total from this one pack of dosa mix?
As per the pack, a 180 gram pack makes approximately 9 dosas of 30 grams each. As per our experience, this will yield 7-8 dosas.
2. Does this dosa mix contain any preservatives?
No. This dosa mix is devoid of any preservatives.
3. Is this super grain ragi dosa mix healthy?
It contains relatively healthier flours like ragi. It also has a higher fiber content than regular dosa mixes. That said, it also contains maida and we always advise limited intake of packaged food.
4. Is this dosa mix 100% vegetarian?
Yes. The Tata Sampann Ragi Dosa Mix is completely vegetarian.
5. What can be done when the dosa batter becomes too thick?
You can add some water to adjust the consistency of the batter.
Related Reviews - More From Tata Sampann
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.