How To Make The Fluffiest Mashed Potato – 15 Simple Hacks
A foolproof recipe to make the fluffiest Mashed Potatoes.
The ideal addition to a lavish Christmas brunch or with some hot buttered toast on a chilly winter night, mashed potato is wholesome and comforting. As easy as making a bowl of mashed potatoes sounds, the fluffy, lump-free texture is hard to perfect.
This holiday season forget about the calories and enjoy the best, creamiest and the fluffiest potato mash. Here is a fool-proof recipe to make mashed potatoes at home.
10 hacks that will ensure consistently DELISH mashed potatoes every time!
- Boiled Potatoes – 4 to 5 medium
- Salt – as per taste
- Pepper – freshly crushed
- Fresh Parsley – 1/4th cup chopped finely
- President Butter – 50 grams
- Nutmeg – grated fresh 1/4th tsp
- Amul Cream or any fresh cream – 1 to 2 tbsp
- Milk – 1/4th to ½ cup
- Chicken Sausages and steamed veggies – to serve
- Boil the potatoes with about 1 tsp salt in a pressure cooker.
- When the pressure drops, peel the potatoes and cube them.
- Keep them warm in the Panasonic steamer till prep work is going on.
- Mash the potatoes in a bowl with the help of a masher.
- Add salt to taste. Add crushed black pepper.
- In a separate pan heat up the milk, add the butter and warm it on low flame till the butter melts.
- Pour the heated milk in the mashed potato.
- Add grated nutmeg.
- Keep stirring till everything mixes well.
- Throw in the fresh parsley. Mix well and adjust the seasonings.
- Grilled chicken sausages would go well the potato mash.
- Can also be served with chicken roast, turkey, roasted lamb.
- Steamed veggies like beans, broccoli, carrots, peas would make a great accompaniment.
- For a vegetarian version, grilled paneer, grilled halloumi or roasted veggies would be a great choice.
Related Reading : Panasonic SR-G06 Automatic Cooker
15 Hacks To Make The Best Potato Mash
1. Steam potatoes with Salt
Always steam the potatoes with the salt. The addition of salt adds a depth of flavor.
2. Submerge potatoes completely
Submerge the potatoes completely in cold water. Don’t let them stand in boiling water, as that would make the potatoes gooey and mushy.
3. Add Freshly Crushed Pepper
A tip when using pepper. Try and use freshly crushed pepper as it adds a beautiful kick and aroma.
4. Add Nutmeg
Using nutmeg is vital. Nutmeg is a warming spice and when grated, it accentuates the taste and aroma of your potato mash.
5. Heat the Milk
Milk should be cold before you start heating it up. We used the Amazon induction to heat up the milk-butter.
6. Use Full Fat Milk
For a more creamy version, use full fat milk.
7. Whisk in Batches
Do not add the entire butter-milk mixture at one go. Keep adding little by little and keep using the balloon whisk for mixing.
8. Use Balloon Whisk
Key to get the fluffiest mash is to keep mixing it with a balloon whisk after adding each ingredient.
9. Reheat the Mixture
To Reheat the mash – Add butter to cold milk and warm up so that mixing becomes easy. Make sure this mixture should be added slowly to the potato mash. Adjust the seasonings and enjoy a warm mash.
10. Use Salted Butter
Use salted butter to get the perfect flavor in your potato mash.
11. Add Salt Carefully
Add salt with care as salt was already added during boiling the potatoes. Plus, the butter used is also salted.
12. Dry the Boiled Potatoes
Ensure that the potatoes when peeled should not be wet. There should be absolutely no water droplets otherwise your mash will become runny.
13. Wipe the Potatoes
Wipe the potatoes dry before peeling.
14. Add Parsley
Parsley can be replaced with dill leaves, chives or cheddar.
15. Add Favorite Cheese
Additionally you may add strips of bacon or your favourite cheese such as the cheddar or parmesan for a variation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here we have answered a few interesting FAQs about how to make perfect mashed potatoes with simple hacks.
1. How do you make mashed potatoes fluffy without gummy?
To make mashed potato fluffy, add the potatoes to the hot cream. Gently mash the potatoes and whip until it turns fluffy. Add heavy cream if needed and season it with some salt and spice before serving it.
2. Is mashed potatoes better with milk or heavy cream?
To get that perfectly creamy, smooth and fluffy texture, prepare the mashed potatoes with heavy cream.
3. Do you put eggs in the mash?
One can add eggs to the potato mash to get an airy and light texture. Crack the egg into the potatoes and whip it until you get the desired consistency.
4. Is mashed potatoes good for protein?
Mashed potatoes have a low protein content. If prepared with an egg, it can boost the protein amount.
5. Should you let potatoes cool before mashing?
Mashed potatoes should be prepared when all the ingredients are warm such as cream, milk, and even potatoes, to get the proper creamy and fluffy texture.
Mashed Potatoes are a heart warming winter treat. It’s a versatile dish and can be had as a side when accompanied by some grills and veggies. Potato mash can also be topped on a shepherd’s pie and baked to perfection.
Remember, the key is to keep mixing at every step for a fluffy mash. Our hacks given above will help you in fix a light, fluffy potato mash.
If you have any questions, let us know in the comment section.