iD Fresho Idly Dosa Batter Review – Crisp Dosas, Soft Idlis
We made a dozen idlis and over 200 dosas in our test kitchen. Here’s why we recommend the iD Dosa and Idli batter for your home.
Don’t want to tediously soak and grind idli or dosa batter at home? Say hello to packaged batter that is here to make your life easy.
Believe it or not, but we made a dozen idlis and over 200 dosas to test this for our iD fresho idly dosa batter review.
Related reading – Best Dosa Tawa in India
|iD Fresho Idly Dosa Batter||Product Information|
|Net Quantity||1 Kg|
|Buy Now||On Amazon|
Our Review Factors
What were we looking for? A well-packed batter that is easy to use, store, and needs no alterations. The results should be consistent, delicious and of the desired texture.
Our review factors to test the iD fresho idly dosa batter are –
iD Dosa and Idly batter comes in a resealable horizontal-style pentagon shaped pouch. This makes it very convenient to store the batter as it is in the refrigerator after use. It’s a ‘serve and store’ pack.
What did the dosas and idlis taste like? Did they taste fresh and slightly fermented like homestyle results do? What about salt levels – balanced or off-proportion?
Just like homemade batters, the one by iD also smells fresh and slightly sour. The typical ‘fermented’ aroma was observed.
4. Consistency + Color
The batter is white in color. It is lump-free and is moderately thick and foamy. The batter consistency is perfect to make idlis, but if you are making dosas, you might need to add some water.
5. Overall Experience
Under this broad category, we gauged the product for contributing parameters like pricing, ingredients, and shelf life.
- Price – A 1 Kg pack is priced at Rs 100/-. Is this pocket friendly? As per the yield, is this product value for money?
- Main Ingredients – How clean is the ingredient list? The main ingredients of the batter are R.O. Purified Water (50%), Rice (34%), Udad dal, Fenugreek and Iodized salt.
- Nutri Info – iD batter provides 143.35 kcal of energy per 100 grams, 5.5 grams of protein, 1.6 grams of fat, and 0 grams of sugar. The sodium is 92 mg. This is cholesterol and trans fat free.
- Shelf life – The ‘Use by’ date is written on the pack. Make sure you store the batter in a refrigerator between 0-5 degrees. Bring the batter to room temperature before using it.
- Convenience – From packaging to ease of use, and spreadability.
iD Fresho Idly Dosa Batter – Detailed Review
Details about our experience with the iD batter in this section –
How did we test the product?
Our review was a two-step process. We tested the batter for idlis as well as dosas.
During our dosa tawa review (which spanned over 3 weeks), we cooked using iD’s batter everyday. We made over 200 dosas on two sources of heat – induction and gas top. We added water (till desired consistency was achieved) while making dosas and added a pinch of salt to test the dosas.
To test the idlis, we did not alter the consistency of the batter. We steamed a dozen idlis in the Bajaj Rice Cooker (our winner from the rice cooker review). The idlis took 7-8 minutes to cook completely and demouled very easily.
First and foremost, the batter is extremely easy to spread. The dosas turned out to be crisp and tasted fermented like homestyle dosas do. At no point did the dosas tasted too sour or oversalted. Do note that the type of fat used to make the dosas also impart their own flavor. So we recommend using ghee for that rich, butteriness.
The white colored idlis were extremely soft, spongy and fluffy. They cooked well and weren’t sticky or grainy. Full marks for the texture of the idlis. They are neutral tasting and will pair beautifully with a number of chutneys and sambar.
Day after day, batch after batch, the taste of the dosas remained the same throughout our three-week testing. Be it the consistency, color or the final taste of the dosas, the batter by iD performed spectacularly.
- Convenient packaging and storing.
- The aroma of batter is very fresh and homestyle.
- Perfect consistency for idlis.
- The texture of the idlis is superb. Soft, spongy, fluffy!
- The dosas made using this batter were consistent. Be it taste, texture, aroma, or consistency.
- We liked the clean ingredient list.
- Although the use by date is mentioned, the shelf life should be mentioned a bit more clearly. Especially if we are ordering online, we would not know which batch we are receiving. What if we receive the batter that needs to be used on the same day or has a 1-day shelf life?
Do not want to spend time tediously soaking and grinding rice and dals for a homemade batter? iD’s Idly and Dosa Batter is your best friend.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on iD Fresho Idly Dosa Batter.
Yes, the idli and dosa batter by iD is gluten free. It contains udad dal and rice flour.
No. iD’s batter is preservative free. Plus, it doesn’t contain any soda.
Yes. iD’s dosa batter is very easy to spread. Of all the 200 dosas we made, we did not face any issue spreadability wise.
A single 1 Kg pack makes about 13 medium sized dosas (when made on a pan with 28 cm diameter.) You can also make 23-24 idlis from the same amount of batter.
Conclusion – Should You Buy It?
Yes! Team Mishry highly recommends iD Idli and Dosa Batter. Especially if you do not want to make the batter at home from scratch. It’s convenient, fresh, and has the perfect consistency. We liked the homestyle fermented taste of the idlis and dosas.
A green signal from us!
Do you make the batter at home or prefer store-bought ones?