Pigeon by Stovekraft All in One Ceramic Super Cooker 5 L Review
Cooking, straining, and serving? This Pigeon 3-in-1 pressure cooker is induction-friendly.
‘If you could use only one kitchen appliance for the rest of your life, what would it be?’ If you ask us, we’d say a pressure cooker, without a doubt!
Small kitchens and large, bachelors or joint families, the one must-have these have in common- a trustworthy pressure cooker. Pressure cooking doesn’t just reduce the cooking time but it also retains nutrients when compared to open-pan cooking.
This is because it forces moisture into the protein or carbohydrate source (chicken, soya chunks, rice, dal) in a shorter time span. This shorter time span minimises nutrient elimination as compared to boiling/steaming.
Shorter cooking time and better nutrient retention, but what if your pressure cooker offers three benefits in one? Cooking, straining, and serving! This induction-friendly pressure cooker by Pigeon works as a 3-in-1.
In Team Mishry’s Pigeon all in one ceramic super cooker 5 liters review, we talk about how functional the lids are, the induction compatibility, and a little about the dishes we prepared.
For our review, we purchased the Pigeon Induction Base Pressure cooker 5 L. It comes with three lids for cooking, straining, and serving. The handles on this pressure cooker are unlike the traditional vessel. Pigeon Induction Base 5 L pressure cooker is equipped with dual handles.
Following is all you need to know-
This 5 L pressure cooker was packed in a carton. Here are the contents of the carton-
- The pressure cooker with three lids.
- A gasket
- A weight valve
The carton did not include a guarantee card or an instruction manual.
- Cooker- food-grade virgin aluminum with hard anodized coating at the base
- Cooker lid- stainless steel with dual handles
- Strainer- stainless steel
- Serving lid- glass and stainless steel rim
- Weight valve- stainless steel
- Gasket- nitrile
This vessel has a 4 mm thick base which is induction and gas stove compatible. This base facilitates even heat distribution which in turn promotes slow cooking for maximum flavor retention.
5. Lid Type
The USP of this pressure cooker is the three different lids it comes with – Cooking lid with the whistle, glass serving lid and stainless steel straining lid. The lids have a sturdy knob.
Unlike traditional pressure cookers, this one did not have a long handle. Instead, it had two short handles at the sides. These were sturdy and offered a comfortable grip.
7. Ease of Handling
Fixing the primary lid was challenging. This pressure cooker came with no user booklet or instruction manual.
That said, the straining and serving lids were relatively easier to put on.
The straining and serving lids did not have a similar dual-handle structure like the primary lid, only the knobs.
The handles are not heat-proof due to which it is recommended to handle the pressure cooker using a kitchen cloth/napkin. Similarly, if checked mid-cooking or immediately after taking the pot off the stove, the shorter handles cause forearm burns due to the steam.
It is an easy-to-clean vessel when done by hand. The carton says that it is dishwasher-safe, but we didn’t try it in our test kitchen. As in our previous experience the hard anodized coating from an aluminium pressure cooker started to come off.
We purchased this 5 L induction base pressure cooker for INR 3495/-.
A five-year warranty is offered by the manufacturer.
Pigeon All in One Ceramic Super Cooker 5 L Review- Detailed Review
|Parameters||Pigeon Induction Base Aluminium Pressure Cooker 5 L|
|Material||Aluminium, hard anodized coating|
|Lid Type||Stainless steel and glass lids|
Our Pigeon all in one ceramic super cooker 5 liters review is based on the multiple weeks of use and staple Indian meals we prepared in the Mishry Test Kitchen. Steamed rice, red rice, and arhar dal were some of the dishes we cooked in this pressure cooker.
Pigeon suggests adding pulses/grains and water in a 1:2.5 ratio. Starchy food items like rice/dal/potatoes tend to expand or increase in size once cooked. It is therefore essential to add water when cooking them. Following are the ratios and cooking time needed-
|Name of Dish||Ratio We Followed||Soaked/Not soaked||Cooking Time|
|Steamed rice||Water level was two inches higher than that of 1.5 cups raw rice||No||27 minutes|
|Arhar Dal||1 cup dal:3 cups water||Yes, for 15 minutes||20 minutes|
|Red rice||1 cup rice: 3 cups red rice||No||25 minutes|
- This pressure cooker has a 5-L capacity.
- It is suitable for families of 5-7 members.
- The cooker weighs 2.7 kg.
- The whistle/weight valve weighs 71 g (checked on our digital scale)
- It comes with three lids made of stainless steel and glass.
- The primary lid has two sturdy handles.
- It is gas stove and induction cooktop compatible.
- There is a 5-year warranty.
- It is priced at INR 3495.
- The primary lid is equipped with two short and sturdy handles.
- The pot of this pressure cooker is shaped like a handi.
- It is easy to clean, the turmeric marks from cooking dal came off easily.
- There is no need to use a separate strainer or lid when serving, this set comes with lids for these uses.
- These lids come with sturdy knobs.
- A good-quality gasket is provided.
- There is no user guide/instruction manual included.
- The primary lid is quite tricky to attach to the cooker pot. Definitely not beginner-friendly!
- The short handles on the main lid retain heat and must be handled using a cloth.
Best Suited For
This Pigeon all in one super cooker combo is suitable for 5-7 members. Additionally, it prepares most food items quicker as compared to open-pan cooking. The handi-shaped pot adds a touch of elegance to the dinner table.
No strainer or separate lid is required for straining/serving.
People who have a limited storage space or do not want to invest in a lot of pots and pans will definitely benefit from this cooker.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Pigeon all in one ceramic super cooker
1. What is the average Amazon rating for this product?
This pressure cooker has a ⅘ star rating on Amazon with over 2,000 ratings/reviews.
2. Can we use this pigeon induction cooker on a gas stove?
Yes, this vessel is induction and stovetop compatible.
3. Is this cooker dishwasher safe?
The product description mentions dishwasher safety. However, we did not try washing this in a dishwasher. We learnt from our previous experience that the coating of hard anodized aluminum vessels tends to come off in our Bosch dishwasher.
4. What are the additional components with the packaging?
With the main pot and lid, you get two other lids- one for straining, the other for serving. In addition to these, a weight valve and gasket.
5. Does this induction cooker consume a lot of electricity?
No, it is a quick-cooking vessel.
Please note that when we review appliances and utensils in our test kitchen, we ensure to keep using the product even after the official review process is over. In case we have any new updates and fresh insights, we update the article.
Here is Team Mishry’s final verdict of the Pigeon all in one super cooker. The varied lids serve the purpose and we also like the shape of the pot. It is ideal for serving too. The perforated lid helps in draining off the excess water, hence eliminating the need for a strainer.
However, the absence of the instruction manual affected our experience slightly. The main pressure cooker lid was a hassle to put on. As we know, safely locking the lid is significant when cooking using a pressure cooker.
Do you use a pressure cooker? Which brand is it from and how is your experience with the vessel? Let us know in the comment section below.
More Pressure Cooker Reviews
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.