Rage Coffee Review: We Tried Four Variants
We tried Rage Instant Coffee in Original, Irish Hazelnut, Dark Chocolate, and Creme Caramel. And our undeniable favorite is…
While a ‘good cup’ of coffee may be subjective, we can all agree that it definitely sets the tone for the day. The first sip from the first cup of the day is known to momentarily melt all your worries. Wondering how? The lingering aroma, the warm hug from your favorite mug make for certain unparalleled pleasures of life.
Flavored coffee, coffee bags, and liquid decoctions are among the raging products for coffee lovers. And speaking of rage, this brand of coffee claims to be the world’s first plant-based vitamins coffee. Sounds compelling, right?
We ordered four instant coffee variants by Rage Coffee- Original, Irish Hazelnut, Dark Chocolate, and Creme Caramel. In this Rage Coffee review, everything from strength to taste and aroma has been decoded. Does this ‘healthy’ coffee give the caffeine kick you need?
Rage Coffee Review – Everything You Need To Know
All you need to know about these flavored coffee variants is covered in our Rage Coffee review.
1. Available Variants
In the instant coffee range, the brand offers nine variants. These are-
- Dark Chocolate
- Irish Hazelnut
- Creme Caramel
- Sparky Orange
- Chai Latte
- Butterscotch Delight
- Mint Mocha
- Vanilla Bubblegum
2. Available Quantities
The glass jars can be availed in quantities of 50 grams, 100 grams, and 200 grams.
3. Price Range
We ordered the 50-gram jars that are priced between Rs 300-350.
4. Shelf Life
These have a shelf life of 18 months.
Rage Coffee – Our Review Factors
Strength, aroma, and the intensity of flavors were the key parameters of our review. Our review included a dry inspection stage which helped us gauge the aroma, color and visual appeal of the coffee granules.
To guide our readers make a well-informed buying decision, we tested each variant in three stages – Black, with milk, and with milk + sugar.
More information on the changes observed and our overall experience in the following section.
The coffee granules are packed in a glass jar with a secure lid. The brand name and flavor variant are printed on the label.
2. Main Ingredients
100% single origin arabica coffee beans, L-Theanine, L- Glutamine, Ginkgo Biloba, Bacopa Monnieri, Pna X, Ginseng and Rhodiola Rosea are the main ingredients. The flavored variants contain nature identical flavor extracts.
What is L-Theanine and L-Glutamine and why is it in my coffee?
L-Theanine is naturally found in green and black tea. This amino acid is known to improve brain functioning and alleviate stress. L-Glutamine may help supplement gut and immune functions. Additionally, ingredients like Bacopa Monnieri, Ginkgo Biloba, Rhodiola Rosea, and Panax Ginseng help with better memory, dealing with anxiety/nervousness, and enhance physical stamina, respectively.
How strong is the flavor intensity? What about the base coffee flavor? Nutty, acidic, or citrusy? What was the aftertaste, if any? Do these instant coffees need additional sugar or do we recommend skipping those extra calories? How impactful is the addition of milk to the overall flavor?
Do aromas do justice to the flavor labels? When mixed in water/milk, does the aroma feel subdued or is it enhanced?
5. Freshness & Quality
The coffee granules are packed in glass jars that are equipped with a re-closable lid. This ensures the coffee granules do not lose the intensity.
6. Nutritional Information
One serving has no more than 5 Kcal. The nutritional values per 100 grams are- 375 Kcal of which carbohydrates are 72 grams, protein is 16 grams, and fat is 2 grams.
Nescafe’s Coffee Cup is creamy, aromatic and convenient.
Rage Coffee Flavours- Detailed Review
Three stages, four variants, and multiple sips later, here’s what Mishry has to say about Rage Coffee.
PS – This review had our Test Kitchen smelling like a cafe!
|Rage Coffee||Original||Irish Hazelnut||Dark Chocolate||Creme Caramel|
|Price||Rs 299||Rs 349||Rs 349||Rs 349|
|Net Weight||50 grams||50 grams||50 grams||50 grams|
|Amazon Rating (on 5)||3.9 stars||4.1 stars||4.3 stars||4.3 stars|
|Buy on Amazon||Buy now||Buy now||Buy now||Buy now|
This jar of instant coffee granules emitted a prominent roasted coffee aroma. Three stages of tasting and reviewing were performed, starting with trying the coffee black first.
We added 1 tsp of the coffee granules, followed by 150 ml of hot water, as suggested on the label. The coffee mixed seamlessly. Simultaneously, the aroma intensified.
The taste felt premium. It was super smooth on the palette with an intense characteristic flavor of roasted coffee beans. Despite the coffee being strong and intense, we liked how it didn’t taste bitter. Additionally, it wasn’t acidic.
Just like in water, the coffee mixed almost effortlessly in milk too. This goes without saying, but the color of this beverage was lighter when compared to the initial cup (as milk was added) The intensity had reduced marginally, but this was still a strong cup of coffee.
Or should we call this stage ‘Perfection in a cup’? We added a little less than a teaspoon of sugar, mixed well, and had a premium-tasting cup.The roasted coffee flavor was brought down a little by the addition of sugar, but it was present nonetheless.
- A 50-gram jar is priced at Rs 299/-.
- It has a shelf life of 18 months.
- Main Ingredients- 100% single origin arabica coffee beans, L-Theanine, L- Glutamine, Ginkgo Biloba, Bacopa Monnieri, Pna X, Ginseng and Rhodiola Rosea.
- This coffee tastes smooth and rich.
- It leaves no acidic aftertaste.
- It can be had with hot/cold milk/water.
- One cup needs just one teaspoon, which is a small quantity considering the strength it has.
Best Suited For
If you like your coffee strong, with a robust flavor of roasted beans minus the acidity, we recommend trying Rage Coffee in Original.
2. Irish Hazelnut
On tasting this flavor variant black, we noticed a subtle sweetness. There were mild nutty and citrusy flavors too. The characteristic coffee flavor was strong just like the above variant. This coffee that seems to be made using mid-roast beans gives out an intense coffee aroma.
For the second stage, we added the recommended quantity of milk and found the beverage to be DELISH! The sweetness is well-balanced and the hazelnut flavor isn’t underwhelming or overpowering. The strength of coffee, on the other hand, was intense.
This variant has spot-on sweetness, which is why we did not proceed to stage three. Addition of sugar is subjective and we didn’t feel the need to add more to this.
- A 50-gram jar is priced at Rs 349/-
- Shelf life is the same as above.
- Main Ingredients- 100% single origin arabica coffee beans, L-Theanine, L- Glutamine, Ginkgo Biloba, Bacopa Monnieri, Pna X, Ginseng and Rhodiola Rosea. and nature-identical hazelnut extract.
- The nutty flavor is not too bold, as a result the coffee does not have an undesirable bitterness.
- Other likes are the same as above.
Best Suited For
Love a subtly sweet coffee but want to skip sugar? Rage Coffee’s Irish Hazelnut may be just what you’re looking for.
3. Dark Chocolate
When consumed black, this coffee had some citrus undertones. Unlike the previous variants, the roasted coffee flavor was not too intense and the dark chocolate flavor was very subtle.
When tasted with milk, this beverage was quite bitter with subtle notes of dark chocolate, as the name suggests.
- Price, net quantity, and shelf life are the same as above.
- Main Ingredients- 100% single origin arabica coffee beans, L-Theanine, L- Glutamine, Gingko Biloba, Bacopa Monnieri, Pna X, Ginseng, and Rhodiola Rosea and nature-identical cocoa extract.
- The packaging looks premium.
- We appreciate the multiple customization options.
- It is devoid of added sugar, preservatives, and other additives.
- The coffee and dark chocolate flavor is not intense.
Best Suited For
A dark chocolate-flavored beverage with caffeine? If you’re not a fan of intense flavors, this could be a decent pick for you.
4. Creme Caramel
Black, this coffee had a strong flavor. This flavor is laced with some citrusy notes.
The caramel flavor in this variant felt burnt. Hits of caramel-like bitterness could be tasted between sips. Following the bitter flavor, we could also taste a light sweetness. On adding to 150 ml of warm milk, the strength of coffee was fairly bold, while the caramel flavor was quite subtle. That said, the sweetness had somehow enhanced marginally. This provides the option to skip sugar.
- Price, net quantity, and shelf life are the same as above.
- Main Ingredients- 100% single origin arabica coffee beans, L-Theanine, L- Glutamine, Gingko Biloba, Bacopa Monnieri, Pna X, Ginseng, and Rhodiola Rosea and nature-identical caramel extract.
- STRONG! The coffee flavor is intense.
- Even after adding milk, the flavors do not feel subdued.
- It has a mild sweetness which eliminates the need to add sugar.
- The caramel flavor leaves a bitter aftertaste.
Best Suited For
Mishry recommends having this variant with milk. Bold flavors of coffee paired with a subtle caramel sweetness- got your taste buds excited?
Our Top Picks & Recommendations
Of the four Rage Coffee variants we tried, Irish Hazelnut had our hearts! Typically, hazelnut flavored coffees are just labeled as hazelnut and there is no actual flavor. Moreover, it may be too bitter and ruin the overall experience. Luckily, that was not the case here. The characteristic coffee flavor was strong and the hazelnut flavor lent a mild nutty sweetness which we loved.
That said, we also liked the Original variant. It was intense and can be customized as per your liking.
Team Mishry’s experience with Rage Coffee was a fairly good one. While all variants do justice to the flavor labels, we liked two far more than the rest.
Moreover, we appreciate how these coffee granules can be mixed in cold/hot water or milk.
Would you try these flavored coffees, or would you stick to the original?
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Rage coffee.
1. What is acrylamide in coffee?
Acrylamide is produced when coffee beans are roasted. Coffee substitutes like chicory contain a small amount of this chemical too.
This chemical is also found in drinking water, baked goods, etc.
2. How many cups of coffee can be prepared from one pack of rage coffee?
You need 1 teaspoon of coffee granules for a cup. With a 50-gram jar, you can prepare approximately 45-50 cups depending on your preferred strength.
3. What is the quantity of caffeine for this coffee per serving?
Each serving offers 90-120 mg of caffeine.
4. Does this coffee work as an energy booster?
Coffee has a high caffeine content which may result in a short-term energy boost. Increased heart rate, mental alertness, and more physical energy may be experienced by certain individuals.
5. Is this coffee keto-friendly?
Per serving it has 5 Kcal. By itself, this is keto-friendly.
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.