Shaka Harry Chicken Nuggets Review – Mishry
How close do the Shaka Harry Chicken Nuggets come to the OG Nuggs? Find the answer below.
Plant-based meats or mock meats are made using gluten, soy or vegetable alternatives like jackfruit. For people who have recently turned vegetarian, mock meat based snacks can help satisfy meaty cravings.
With more brands focusing on its vegetarian audience, there are multiple launches catering to them with quick, convenient fixes. Frozen food topping the list.
Shaka Harry is a brand that manufactures frozen plant-based meat snacks. We picked a pack of plant based frozen chicken nuggets for our review. We discuss the taste, texture, price, packaging and more in our Shaka Harry Chicken Nuggets review.
We love the punny name, which is an adaptation of the Hindi term for vegetarians (शाकाहारी).
Shaka Harry Chicken Nuggets – Everything You Need To Know
Here is all that you need to know about Shaka Harry Chicken Nuggets.
The Shaka Harry Chicken Nuggets come in an attractive resealable pack. The nuggets are not arranged in a tray, they are placed directly in the pouch.
2. Main Ingredients
The ingredients include – Water, Veg protein mix (Textured protein (Soya), Vegetable fibre (Oats), Soya protein, Dehydrated onion, Iodized salt, Methyl cellulose (INS 461), Vegetable fat, Predust and batter mix (Starch, Maida, Rice flour, Acidity regulator (INS 450i), Raising agent (INS 500 ii), Xanthan gum (INS 415), Bread crumbs (Bread crumbs (Wheat flour, Iodized salt, Dextrose, Yeast, Edible veg oil), Rice bran oil, Seasoning mix (Acidity regulator (INS 452 (i)), flavour enhancer (INS 627, INS 631)
Contains permitted natural color (INS 171) and contains added natural flavor and nature identical flavouring substances.
Allergen warning – Contains soya and wheat
When it comes to mock meats, the taste is of prime importance. For beginner level vegetarians, can this be used to satiate a meaty craving? Does it taste soy-like? Any additional flavor? How about the seasoning? How does the casing taste?
A mock meat chicken nugget we reviewed earlier contained a roasted chicken flavor. It was able to replicate the chicken nugget flavor fairly well.
4. Texture & Mouthfeel
Texture and mouthfeel of the snack is important as it helps us test how close the mock meat comes to the meat it is supposedly replicating.
Do the nuggets have a juicy, meaty bite? Is the soy able to form a chicken-like texture?
The frozen nuggets look close to a chicken leg (tangri). The shape and size of the nuggets is consistent throughout the pack. All the pieces are intact and none of them are broken.
They look very similar to original chicken nuggets.
Deep fried frozen snacks should have a uniform, pronounced crunch for it to be enjoyable. Were these nuggets crunchy or did they soak up too much oil and become soft and soggy?
The crunch of the Shaka Harry Chicken Nuggets is superb.
7. After Taste
Aftertaste generally means the taste that lingers in your mouth after the bite is over. Did these nuggets have an undesirable aftertaste?
The chicken nuggets have a soy-like aftertaste. It doesn’t feel industrial.
A 250 gram pack is priced at Rs 295/-.
9. Shelf Life
The shelf life of the product is 12 months. Keep the nuggets frozen at -18 degrees.
10. Cooking Instructions
As per the instructions given on the pack, these can be cooked using a single method –
- Deep fry after taking out straight from the freezer. There is no need to thaw.
- The oil temperature should be 170 degrees. Fry for 3 minutes.
Related Review – Best Frozen Chicken Seekh Kebab
Shaka Harry Chicken Nuggets – Detailed Review
Details on the Shaka Harry Chicken Nuggets –
|Net Quantity||250 grams|
|Main Ingredients (Top 5)||Water, Veg protein mix, Vegetable fibre (Oats), Soya protein, Dehydrated onion|
|Shelf Life||12 months|
|Energy (per 100 gm)||257 .94 Kcal|
|Protein (per 100 gm)||5.30 gm|
We made the chicken nuggets as per the instructions given on the pack. The nuggets had turned golden brown and crisped up well. The crunch of the nuggets is on point.
The ratio of breading and the thickness of nuggets is appropriate. There are no empty pockets within the nugget and the coating is end-to-end.
Shaka Harry’s Chicken Nuggets have a very meaty, juicy bite. The textural feel is very similar to an actual nugget, but the soy aftertaste is a bit overpowering. This won’t really kill the meaty cravings, but will prove to be a decent tasting snack. It’s not spicy at all and is well-seasoned.
- A 250 gram pack is priced at Rs 295/-.
- The shelf life of the nugget is 12 months.
- Top five ingredients include Water, Veg protein mix, Vegetable fibre (Oats), Soya protein, Dehydrated onion.
- We liked the crunch of the chicken nuggets.
- The breading to nugget ratio is spot on.
- The juicy, meaty bite is something we liked.
- Seasoning is apt.
- The promise of chicken-like taste was not fulfilled. That said, it is still a tasty soy based snack.
Best Suited For
Are you a new vegetarian who is craving something with a meaty texture? Or just in need of a soy-based frozen snack? This one’s for you.
More From The Frozen Food Aisle
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Shaka Harry Chicken Nuggets.
1. How to store the nuggets after unpacking?
Keep the nuggets frozen after unpacking. It is best to seal the pack before storing it. Do not thaw before cooking.
2. Can these nuggets be paired with dips like green chutney and mayo?
Yes. These nuggets can be paired with a number of condiments like ketchup, mustard, green chutney, mayonnaise or a hot sauce of your choice.
3. Are these nuggets healthy to consume?
These are good for occasional use. Packaged food must be consumed in moderation.
4. How many pieces of nuggets are there in total in a pack?
This 250 gram pack contains approximately 10 pieces.
5. What are the different cooking methods for this nugget?
The pack mentions only 1 method of cooking – deep frying.
Chicken nuggets that are plant based and perfect for those who want to enjoy a snack with a meaty bite. While these don’t taste like chicken nuggets, they are tasty on their own.
Have you tried soy-based mock meats before? Tell us about your experience in the comment section below.
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.