Slurrp Farm Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Mix Review – Made With Millets
Slurrp Farm presents a fudgy chocolate brownie mix made using millets and we love it. Here is why you should try this too.
Picking up a cake mix is not the same as it was a few years ago. We had limited choices with little to no room for experimenting. Now, with more and more people looking at labels and understanding the importance of ingredients, brands have supplied the demand of healthier alternatives and better ingredients.
Slurrp Farm is a brand started by two mothers who were looking to merge the use of good quality ingredients for kid-friendly packaged snacks.
In our Slurrp Farm Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Mix review we discuss the price, packaging, ingredients used and convenience. We review its taste and texture, keeping in mind the target audience for this product.
Slurrp Farm Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Mix – What You Need To Know
All that you need to know about the Slurrp Farm Fudgy Chocolate Brownie mix is mentioned below.
The brownie mix comes in a brown colored carton. Inside the box there are two packets. One sachet contains the cake mix and the other contains unrefined cane sugar.
2. Main Ingredients
The pack contains 2 sachets –
Sachet 1 contains the cake mix. The ingredients used are – Super Grain blend (Oat, Sorghum (jowar), Amaranth, Rice, Potato starch, Xanthan gum), Chocolate chips, Cocoa (alkalised), Natural vanilla flavor, Baking powder, Coconut milk powder and Salt.
Sachet #2 contains a measured portion of raw, unrefined sugar.
What is alkalised cocoa and what does it do?
When cocoa beans, nibs or powder are treated with an alkali solution it is called an alkalised cocoa powder or Dutch process. It reduces the acidity and darkens the color of the powder. It dissolves more easily during baking, while regular cocoa powder takes time.
When someone says brownies, we instantly transport ourselves to chocolate heaven. And we expect nothing less from this variant as well. How intense is the chocolate flavor and how much does the use of millet flour impact the taste of chocolate? Sweetness levels were also gauged. Is the pack of unrefined cane sugar enough for this brownie mix or do we need more?
The aroma of chocolate by itself is multi-layered. Combine that in a baking recipe and you have got yourself something divine. The intensity of chocolate aroma was put to test.
Millets by nature have a coarser texture than refined wheat flour. As this is a maida-free cake mix, the impact millets made to the texture of the cake was vital to understand. How soft, fudgy and gooey were the brownies?
Brownies are meant to have a papery-crust that crackles lightly when you cut them into squares. Apart from the crust, the color of the brownies was noticed.
A 400 gram pack is priced at Rs 299/-.
8. Shelf Life
The shelf life is 6 months.
9. How To Bake
- There are two methods mentioned on the back of the pack – eggless and with egg. We chose to go with the eggless version.
- We preheat the oven to 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Then we greased an 8 inch square tin. Brushed with oil and sprinkled maida over it.
- We followed the instructions given on the pack – mixed wet ingredients including 45 ml oil, 140 ml hot water and 120 ml thick curd together. If you are making the egg version, replace curd with 2 eggs.
- Then we mixed dry ingredients i.e. sugar and brownie mix
- We then whisked the dry and wet ingredients together.
- The brownie mix was transferred in a preheated oven for 45 minutes (as mentioned in the pack ) in a greased 8 inch baking tray. However, as we were not using a 7 inch baking tray, the brownie was baked in 35 minutes.
- To check if the cake is baked well, we inserted a toothpick to check and it came out clean which means that the cake is ready.
- We cooled down the cake before cutting.
Earlier we reviewed two variants of the Slurrp Farm Millet Cake Mixes and found one of them to be better than the other. Find out which one you should pick.
Slurrp Farm Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Mix – Detailed Review
|Shelf life||6 months|
|Energy (Per serving size – 50 grams)||185 Kcal|
|Buy on Amazon||Buy now|
Upon opening the dry cake mix we noticed the chocolate brown color. We could also see a few chocolate chips in the mix. The decadent chocolate aroma is unmissable.
The ingredients mix seamlessly. Once we mixed the dry and wet ingredients, the batter consistency was medium-flowy. Not too thick, nor too thin. It was easy to transfer the batter from the bowl to the tin. We could also spot choco chips in this dark brown colored batter.
While the sugar can be adjusted as per personal choice (which we like), for testing purposes we added the entire pack. If you are someone who wants to avoid sugar or adjust the sweetness, this is a big plus point which is never provided in other cake mixes.
Our brownie baked to perfection in 35 minutes. The color of the brownie is dark and it has formed a beautiful crust, like we expect from freshly baked brownies. Even though the pan was well-greased, the bottom most layer was stuck to the tin which could be due to the gooey, moist and fudgy texture of the brownie.
The brownies taste YUMMY. If someone gave these to us without telling us the type of flours used, we could have never guessed this is made using millets. From the rich and decadent chocolate flavor to the fudgy, moist texture, and the crackle layer on top, we loved it all. The sweetness too is perfect.
- A 400 gram pack is priced at Rs 299/-.
- Shelf life – 6 months
- Ingredients for the cake mix – Super Grain blend, Chocolate chips, Cocoa (alkalised), Natural vanilla flavor, Baking powder, Coconut milk powder and Salt.
- Unrefined cane sugar is packed separately.
- Keep it in a cool, dry place.
- Once opened, keep it in an airtight container. Use within one month or by expiry date, whichever is earlier.
- Allergen information – Contains oat. Made in a facility that processes wheat and nuts. May contain trace elements.
- We loved the chocolate aroma in this brownie.
- The maida-free claim is backed up. This uses a mix of nutrient-dense flours like oats, jowar and amaranth.
- The crust formed on top is praiseworthy.
- We like the texture of these brownies a lot. They are soft, moist and fudgy.
- The sweetness is perfect.
- Chocolate intensity of these brownies is great.
- There are no major cons in this mix. Yes, it did stick to our pan but it wasn’t a deal breaker for sure.
Best Suited For
Trying to switch to better alternatives than maida and refined sugar? In need of convenient baking mixes? Slurrp Farm Fudgy Chocolate Millet Brownie Mix checks all the boxes on your list.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Slurrp Farm fudgy chocolate brownie mix.
1. How many brownies can be prepared from one pack of this brownie mix?
A single brownie mix pack can yield 7-8 pieces approximately. The size and number of brownies you get largely depends on the type of tin you use.
2. Does this brownie mix contain any kinds of stabilizers or rising agents?
The brownie mix uses baking powder.
3. Does this brownie mix contain preservatives?
No. The Slurrp Farm Brownie mix does not contain any preservatives.
4. How to store this brownie mix after unpacking?
Once the pack is opened, store the mix in an airtight container. Keep this in a cool, dark place.
5. Can the brownies be baked using a microwave or pressure cooker?
The back of the pack mentions making the cake using a pressure cooker and oven. The pack doesn’t mention the microwave method. If you own a convection microwave oven and do not mind experimenting, you could change the settings accordingly.
We tried four chocolate cake mixes and the winner is…
Thumbs up from Team Mishry for these delicious, chocolaty, fudgy brownies. This mix by Slurrp Farm is sure to make a regular appearance in our pantry.
Have you tried something from the Slurrp Farm range? If yes, how was your experience? Let us know in the comment section below.
More Reviews Related To Slurrp Farm Brownie Mix
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.