Slurrp Farm Millet Cake Mix Review – Mocha And Velvety Vanilla
Made out of millets, Slurrp Farm’s Cake Mixes are for you if you’re trying to switch to healthier alternatives.
Cake mixes are dry mixes that contain all the ingredients you require in pre-measured quantities. Refined flour, baking powder, flavorings and sugar are the prime ingredients that constitute this mix. At home, all you would require are the ‘wet’ ingredients like eggs, yogurt, water or oil depending on the requirements.
Lately the packaged food section has seen a major shift which lays a lot of emphasis on healthier alternatives like whole grains and millets. Slurrp Farms is a brand that was started by two mothers who noticed that there aren’t a lot of healthy, convenient kiddy-friendly foods in the market.
From their vast range, we have reviewed cookies, pancake mixes and dosas that we relished. New to their millet range are cake and brownie mixes. For our Slurrp Farm Millet Cake Mixes review, we picked two popular flavors – Velvety Vanilla and Mocha Coffee. We liked one better than the other. Can you guess which one?
Slurrp Farm Millet Cake Mix – Everything You Need To Know
Here is all that you need to know about Slurrp Farm millet cake mix.
1. Available Variants
There are four variants available in their millet cake mix range –
- Mocha Coffee
- Velvety Vanilla
- Double Chocolate
- Millet Fudgy Chocolate Brownie
2. Available Sizes
They are available in a single size – 400 grams.
3. Price Range
All the cake mixes are priced at Rs 299/-.
4. Shelf Life
The shelf life of these mixes is 6 months from date of manufacture.
Slurrp Farm Millet Cake Mix – Our Review Factors
For our review, we set a few parameters that would help us gauge the cake mixes in a more standardized manner.
The cake mixes come packed in attractive cartons with scrumptious looking shots of the cake on top. The instructions are clearly mentioned behind the pack and are easy to follow. Cooking instructions for eggless and egg version are given.
2. Main Ingredients
The brand claims that this is a millet cake mix with no maida. What are the main ingredients used in the mix? Does it fulfill the millet promise? If yes, what is the percentage of millets used? What about the source of sugar? Any undesirable ingredients like preservatives and artificial flavors and colors?
How good do the millet cakes taste? Any bitterness of millets? What about the sweetness? In the mocha coffee flavor we wanted to check how intense or frail is the coffee’s strength and how pronounced the chocolate flavor is.
In the Velvety Vanilla variant the naturally sweet vanilla flavor is what we were looking for. Overusing or not using enough of it, can create an imbalance, thus reducing the overall experience.
Who doesn’t like a soft, spongy cake with a light springy touch? As millets are coarser than refined flour, the texture of the cake is very important to gauge.
How coarse, soft and springy does the cake turn out to be?
How appetizing does the cake look?
You can’t bake a cake without the entire household getting to know about it. The aroma of a freshly baked cake is THAT pleasing. Which is why we also took the aroma of these baked beauties into account.
1. Velvety Vanilla
Once we mixed together the cake mix, sugar and the wet ingredients, the batter’s consistency was flowy yet semi-thick. The color of the batter was off-white and had a pleasing vanilla aroma. While the pack mentions to add the sugar as per your taste, for testing purposes we added the entire sachet.
The cake was baked to perfection within 37 minutes and developed a slightly darker crust, but the inside is moist, soft and a bit sticky. This mix produced 8 thick slices of cake.
The vanilla cake has a nutty millet flour taste which isn’t too overpowering and we love that. Very often the taste of millets can become extremely off-putting when added in disproportionate quantities. The lingering vanilla aroma and flavor is excellent and the sweetness levels are apt. For those who want to really cut down on the sweetness, we suggest reducing the sugar a little bit.
- A 400 gram pack is priced at Rs 299/-.
- The shelf life is 6 months.
- The cake can be prepared with or without eggs.
- Serves – 8
- No refined sugar, no egg, no wheat
- Ingredients for the cake mix (Sachet 1) – Super Grain blend (Oat, sorghum (jowar), Amaranth, Rice, Potato starch, Xanthan gum), Coconut milk powder, Natural vanilla flavour, Baking powder, Baking soda and Salt.
- Ingredients (Sachet 2) – Raw unrefined sugar
- Allergen advice – Contains oat. Made in a facility that processes wheat and nuts. May contain trace elements.
- Serving size is 50 grams (1 slice). Energy per slice is 196 Kcal.
How We Baked
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- We then greased an 8 inch loaf tray with oil and sprinkled some flour.
- We followed the instructions given on the pack.
- The wet ingredients include – Oil, water and curd. We mixed them together. This cake can be made with eggs too by replacing curd with 2 eggs.
- The dry ingredients include – Sugar and cake mix.
- We mixed the dry and wet ingredients together and transferred the contents in the greased tin. We let the mix bake for 35 minutes.
- Before cutting the cake, we let it cool.
- The texture of the cake is desirable. It is soft, spongy and springy.
- We love the aroma and flavor of vanilla.
- The ingredient list is fairly clean and backs the claim of the mix being maida-free.
- The nutty flavor of millets can be felt in the cake, but isn’t overwhelming and in no way makes the cake dry.
- The fact that the sugar can be adjusted as per personal preference is a big plus. Most cake mixes don’t have this option.
Best Suited For
A vanilla cake made using millets and unrefined sugar that you can dig into without the extra guilt. The Slurrp Farm Velvety Vanilla Cake Mix is a good option.
2. Mocha Coffee
The term ‘mocha’ means chocolate and coffee. As this product is primarily meant for children, the brand uses caffeine free (chicory) coffee. The batter preparation and consistency is the same as above. Our cake was baked to perfection in 28 minutes.
We liked the dark chocolate color of the cake and the decadent aroma of chocolate which filled the entire test kitchen. The texture of the millet cake is soft and spongy. The cake is moist and cooked till the center.
The flavor of millets was even lesser in this variant as the chocolate flavor masks that completely. As this is labeled as mocha flavor, we were expecting notes of coffee. It is caffeine free (as chicory is used) and thus the intense coffee flavor we were looking for, wasn’t as accentuated.
- The price, shelf life and basic features are the same as the above variant.
- Ingredients – Sachet 1 – Super Grain blend (Oat, Sorghum (jowar), Amaranth, Rice, Potato starch, Xanthan gum), Cocoa (alkalised), Coffee (coffee, chicory), Coconut milk powder, Natural vanilla flavour, Baking powder, Vanilla powder, Baking soda and Salt.
- Sachet 2 – Raw, unrefined sugar
How We Baked
- The process is the same as above.
- The cake has a soft, spongy texture.
- We liked the intense chocolate flavor and aroma.
- Caffeine free (chicory) coffee is used keeping in mind the target audience of this product.
- The flavor of coffee is not prominent which is a tad bit disappointing.
Our Top Picks & Recommendations
We recommend the Velvety Vanilla Cake Mix over the Mocha Coffee flavor. Although the texture of both the cakes is similar and are soft and spongy, the difference in flavor is what sets the vanilla cake mix apart. The aroma and flavor of vanilla is far superior than the Mocha Coffee flavor.
If someone served these cakes to us without mentioning they are made using millets, we wouldn’t have guessed otherwise. Thumbs up for the soft and spongy texture of the cakes. While the vanilla flavor was sweet and pleasing, the mocha coffee variant was a small step down.
Do you like baking? Are there any baking tips that you swear by? Let us know in the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Slurrp Farm millet cake mixes.
1. Can this cake mix be used for preparing cupcakes?
Yes it can. Make sure you adjust the baking time accordingly.
2. How to store the cake mix after unpacking?
Make sure you re-seal the pack tightly once opened or transfer the contents in an airtight container. Keep the mix in a cool, dry place.
3. Does this cake mix contain preservatives?
No. Both the cake mixes do not contain any artificial preservatives.
4. Does this cake mix contain artificial colors?
No. Slurrp Farms Cake Mixes are free of artificial colors.
5. What toppings can be added to this cake mix?
From a chocolate ganache, whipped cream, candied fruits to a fresh berry compote, you can add anything you like on these millet cakes as per your likeability.
Mishry Recommends - Cake Mixes We Love
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.