Tata Sampann Moong Dal Vada Mix Review
Street-style Moong Dal Pakodis now ready at home in 15 minutes! We made them using the Tata Sampann Moong Dal Vada Mix and here is our review.
Moong dal vadas or moong dal pakodis remain a popular snack in North India that is usually topped with a spicy green chutney, sweet imli chutney, and some grated radish (mooli). Moong dal vadas can be made at home with a handful of ingredients, but the soaking and grinding of the dal can get tedious for some. That is where the ready-to-cook mixes like the all-new Tata Sampann Moong Dal Vada Mix comes to aid. We reviewed the Tata Sampann Moong Dal Vada Mix in our test kitchen to see if it makes soft and crunchy vadas at home in under 15 minutes, as claimed. Here is what you need to know about this moong dal vada mix. Read our #FirstImpression.
We loved the Tata Sampann Low Oil Absorb Pakoda Mix. Have you tried it yet?
Facts About Tata Sampann Moong Dal Vada Mix
*As per information on the pack
- Can make upto 20-22 vadas.
- No added colors and preservatives.
- Made using unpolished moong dal.
- 100 grams of this product provides 349 Kcal of energy.
#FirstImpression Of Tata Sampann Moong Dal Vada Mix
Price and packaging – The Tata Sampann Moong Dal Vada Mix comes in a blue-green pouch packing that is attractively designed. A 180-gram pouch of this vada mix is priced at Rs 70/-. The pack is not re-sealable.
Ingredients – Moong dal flour (85%), Rice flour (9%), Iodized Salt, Cumin powder, Coriander powder, Green chili powder, Raising agent, Ajwain, Black pepper powder.
How we tested – We made the batter using the instructions given on the pack. Even though the pack suggests adding onions or potatoes, we refrained from doing so. The batter was easy to make and we noticed that it tends to become very thick quickly, so readjusting the consistency of the batter before you start frying is recommended. We deep-fried them in vegetable oil.
Appearance and texture – Our vadas looked very shapely and were perfectly round, excactly how we wanted it. The vadas cooked very well and were golden brown in color. These were extremely crispy on the outside but a little dense on the inside. We feel to make light and airy vadas, the batter needed to be a little flowy.
Flavor – Flavor-wise, we could taste the moong dal distinctly. The jeera (cumin) and ajwain flavor is very dominant and tastes fresh. This is a basic batter that can be experimented with massively. You can add chopped onions, ginger, green chilies and turn them into vadas that suit your tastebuds. We tasted these vadas with our Top Pick – Maggi Imli Chutney and Veeba’s Truly Tomato Sauce.
We really feel that these could have been more airy or light. We found ours to be a bit dense and thick on the inside, even though they were fully cooked. Adding more water to the batter might have done the trick. Other than that, these made for a delicious street-style snack in under 15 minutes.
Do give the Tata Sampann Moong Dal Vada Mix a try!
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.