How To Eat Muesli in 12 Innovative Ways
How do you eat your muesli? Most probably with hot or cold milk but there are plenty of other ways to enjoy this nutrient dense food. If you are looking for some inspiration to add it in your diet then read ahead to know how to eat muesli.
Whether it is a busy Monday morning or a lazy Sunday, muesli is comfort food with lots of nutrition. Muesli is a ready-to-eat, dry mixture of cereals, fruits, nuts, and seeds. The major part of muesli consists of rolled oats and whole grains. Being one of the most popular breakfasts worldwide, it’s a much-loved food! Muesli is such a versatile food that it simply needs your creativity to create wonderful recipes!
Muesli can be prepared by anyone with a little know-how. You can mix it with the ingredients of your choice and kick start your day. Muesli, unlike granola, is not baked and is lower in calories.
Let’s check out how to eat muesli in different ways.
No time to prepare muesli at home? Here we discover a few of the best muesli brands to buy online in India.
How To Eat Muesli | 12 Ways To Eat Muesli
1. Basic Muesli Breakfast
Almost every beginner tries this basic method of preparing muesli before doing anything else, as suggested in most of the muesli commercials. Take muesli and just pour a desirable amount of hot or cold milk to prepare it. It’s simple, convenient, and yet delicious.
How do you eat muesli with milk depends on the choice of milk too? If you are a vegan or lactose intolerant, you can use plant-based milks like coconut milk, soy milk, and almond milk.
2. Have It With Yummy Yogurt
3. Magic Of Overnight Muesli
Muesli can be soaked for a few hours or overnight for a soft texture and different taste if you need a change. Soak it in milk, or curd, and serve it in the morning with a bowl of fruits, or chopped nuts. It is a refreshing breakfast that is soft to chew and easy to digest. It would be great if you had a heavy dinner last night and need something light and fresh for the morning after.
You can make some overnight muesli in a mason jar and take it with you when you are rushing for work and just eat it on-the-go.
4. Fill It With Fruits
Unsweetened mornings don’t sound good, right? Add your favorite fresh or dried fruits for natural sweetness, vitamins, and antioxidants. Blueberries, raspberries, kiwi, pomegranate seeds, sliced banana, pear, mango or apple, and what not! Muesli and fresh fruits are a match made in heaven.
5. Delightful Dry Fruits
Don’t feel satiated with the existing amount of dry fruits in muesli? Throw some extra dry fruits in muesli to add more crunch and nutrition. Almonds, raisins, sultanas, walnuts, cranberries, apricot, goji berries, and currants can satisfy your taste buds even without added sugar.
If you are trying to keep the calories low, then make sure that the dried fruits you are adding are not loaded with added sugar or salt.
6. Sprinkle Some Seeds
Seeds add crunch in muesli with lots of protein, omega-3, essential vitamins, and antioxidants. Muesli is the best food to incorporate more seeds in the diet. Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, chia seeds can be sprinkled on muesli to boost the health quotient of your bowl!
7. Cook It For Creamy Consistency
8. Apple Sauce For Milk Allergy
Muesli can be eaten with different types of plant-based milk, or fruit juices and purees. Apple sauce and muesli are a great combination. Have apple sauce with muesli if you are lactose intolerant or simply want a different flavor. A homemade and unsweetened apple sauce can also be made with fully ripped apple.
9. Cheer It Up With Coffee
Can’t go without coffee in the morning? Try pouring coffee on muesli for a new experience of nutrition along with satisfaction! It’s much better than having coffee on an empty stomach. Muesli with coffee will wake you up and keep you full for longer!
10. One of a kind Orange Juice
Muesli with orange juice! Yes, you heard it right. It’s again a great replacement for dairy to prepare muesli! There are many people who love this combination. Try opting for freshly squeezed orange juice rather than going for the packed one to avoid unnecessary sugar and preservatives.
11. Smoothie Surprise
Muesli works as the best topping for almost everything. It would be great to add some muesli in any smoothie of your choice to make it even more delicious, crunchy, and nutritious.
12. Bar For Brunch
Why purchase packed protein bars when you can make your own healthy bar with muesli at home?
You just need to bring together muesli by using a mixture of honey, butter, or little brown sugar. It can be kept in an airtight container for at least one week. It can be enjoyed during brunch or as an on-the-go to breakfast.
Looking for a readymade muesli box? Read our review of Yoga Bar Muesli – Fruits + Nuts & Seeds.
3 Easy Muesli Recipes
We are sharing a few muesli recipes which are worth trying!
1. DIY Muesli Recipe
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- ½ cup mixed nuts – Almonds and walnuts preferred
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (or other seeds)
- 4 dates, pitted (or roughly a ¼ cup dried fruit)
- 4 dried apricots (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- Optional – ¼ cup poppy seeds, and chia seeds
- Preheat the oven. Toast the almonds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds for 10 minutes at 180 degrees.
- While the nuts and seeds toast, chop the dates and apricots and sprinkle them with the cinnamon powder.
- Remove the nut and seed mixture from the oven and let cool. Once the nuts and seeds have cooled, chop the almonds and walnuts and mix everything together.
- Store in an airtight container or jar.
- To serve – optional toppings like fresh fruit, coconut flakes, honey, maple syrup, etc. can be added.
- Top with milk of your choice or yogurt, or soak it in milk or water overnight to enjoy the next morning with fresh fruit. Drizzle with honey or maple syrup for sweetness.
2. Simple Swiss Muesli Recipe
- 2 cups Old-Fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup wheat bran
- ½ cup raw sliced almonds and cashews
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds or roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup dried cranberries or raisins
- ½ cup chopped dates
- You could make for yourself a bowl of overnight muesli, but following just a few simple steps. Soak a few tablespoons of muesli overnight in some milk or yogurt. Make sure the yogurt is creamy, Greek yogurt works the best.
- Keep the bowl refrigerated overnight and wake up to a refreshing breakfast!
- Try adding diced fresh fruit like apples, pear, and even oranges to your muesli just before serving. It makes your bowl of goodness even more healthy and delicious.
3. Gluten-Free Muesli Recipe
- 2 cups of oats (gluten-free)
- 3 cups of unsweetened milk
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 8-10 raisins
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- A squeeze of fresh lemon or orange
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, top with fresh fruits like apples, pineapple, banana, and pears. Add nuts and seeds for some extra crunch.
How To Eat Muesli For Weight Loss?
There are people who ask how much muesli to eat muesli for weight loss? Well, muesli is a complete food with high fiber and protein with zero cholesterol and lower sugar, which aids digestion, boosts metabolism and helps in weight loss. A jar of all-natural muesli has the goodness of natural ingredients in it. According to a study, muesli is beneficial for weight loss in adults. (1)
You should consider eating muesli with skimmed milk or yogurt, fresh fruit slices with a little bit of organic honey if you are looking to reap the maximum benefits of this crunchy delight.
Looking for a weight loss option with muesli? Learn about perks and cons of losing weight with muesli.
How much muesli to eat for breakfast for weight loss?
Even though muesli is one of the best breakfast options, but still an extra-large serving is not recommended. So don’t get fooled by the big bowl of muesli they serve in the advertisements. Usually, 4-5 dessert spoons are enough if you are watching your waistline. However, never forget that other dietary modifications and exercise are crucial for weight loss as well.
Muesli For Heart Health
Muesli is a heart-healthy food as it has zero cholesterol. A study shows that muesli contains oat bran that consists of beta glutan which is helpful in lowering the bad cholesterol levels by up to 10% so, start eating nutrient-dense muesli for preventing heart diseases.
A breakfast bowl of muesli with milk or yogurt mixed with fresh fruit, nuts, or seeds is one of the most loved and popular ways of eating muesli.
Get a healthy dose of nutrients in the morning with a bowl of muesli for a quick energy boost. Muesli, when eaten in an adequate quantity daily, is beneficial for heart health as it lowers bad cholesterol.
Muesli can be eaten dry, or you can replace milk with yogurt.
Being rich in dietary fibers, muesli helps in decreasing weight when consumed in adequate quantities.
Muesli is loaded with essential nutrients and antioxidants which offer a great taste with several health benefits. It is an adaptable food that can be eaten in countless ways. From adding yogurt to orange juice to eating it as a bar, breakfast, or a quick snack; so many things can be done with muesli.
The answer to how do you eat muesli doesn’t rely on a few recipes. You can find your own way and use your unique ideas to create lip-smacking muesli recipes!
Disclaimer – This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information before making any dietary changes.